Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sea of Thieves? More like No Man's Sea ammirite?

Sea of Thieves? More like No Man's Sea ammirite?

Dunno if any of you guys have been following this game's release, but since it was a Rare game I was somewhat interested in what it would turn out to be. I see a lot of people saying there isn't much to do and that the game is really repetitive. Any of you guys have it or have any impressions of it? Here's an article if any of you guys haven't heard anything and wanna get caught up. Supposedly there's supposed to be regular updates and added content, I'm seeing a lot of skepticism for that, but I don't actually see any reasons why.

Sea of Thieves makes a weak, meandering first impression

Sea of Thieves leaves a bewildering first impression, a magnificent second one, and, so far, a disappointing lasting taste. The piratical goof-'em-up does almost nothing to explain itself, and much of the game’s joy is in discovering how to navigate and progress through its multiplayer pond. The problem is, once you learn the basics, you just as quickly find Sea of Thieves provides very little in the way of interesting goals and tasks to perform.This goes beyond a lack of content to a more basic dearth of interactivity. The very first seconds of your buccaneer career are marred with strange, artificial limitations that continue to pockmark the rest of the game. In a game where progression is largely about unlocking cosmetics, for instance, you’re not allowed to customize your own character. Sea of Thieves simply boots up a load of randomly generated avatars which you can re-roll as many times as you like before making your final choice.
    After loading a scallywag not quite to my liking, I was greeted by 20 seconds of on-screen text, the game’s limited excuse for a tutorial. That text explained how to access my inventory, where to pick up quests, and... that’s about it. Essentials like the finer points of sailing control and just how the quest system works are blank spaces that have to be filled in by the player (or the players, if you’re playing with friends or strangers, as you really should).

After some solo bumbling on my boat, trying to figure out just how to make it go, I intuited that the sails were likely roped to whatever control mechanism Sea of Thieves provided. Sure enough: I traced those rope lines between mast and bulkhead to find the “controls.” From there, it was mostly smooth, entirely enjoyable sailing.

Even on my own, I absolutely adore navigating the game’s titular sea full of thieves, which offers one of the best versions of developer Rare’s minimalist presentation and user interface. Manning the wheel doesn’t paint “go here” pointers over the user’s field of view. Instead, the spokes on the wheel itself have brass rings which indicate the farthest left, right, and center you can turn it. Setting course for straight ahead makes a satisfying, informative rumble in the controller (assuming you play with one), while tilting the sail fully into the wind produces both a noise and billowing animation that make it absolutely obvious when you’ve hit the sweet spot.
    It doesn’t hurt that Sea of Thieves is gorgeous, too. The sometimes-roiling, sometimes-placid, always-beautiful waves provide surprisingly varied eye candy, all set off by picturesque blasts of sun and haunting sheets of rain. All told, it’s easily the best looking water I’ve ever seen in a game. That’s just as well, since you wind up looking at a lot of it.

Of course, playing with a friend or three is the best way to ship out. I love sailing by feel, but you’ll want mates to shoot the shanty with. Having multiple people on-ship provides more hands to drop anchor on a dime, navigate from the map room, man the cannons, look out from the crow’s nest, or even just play a concertina to pass the time.
    That steady collaboration over voice chat, plus the inevitable screw-ups and antics it spawns, seems like the main point of Sea of Thieves. Everyone is often working together to solve the problems they previously worked together to create, either through inattention or deliberate, often grog-fueled clowning around.

It’s all a joy for a couple of hours, at least. Getting falling-down drunk and blinding another player with puke (or falling overboard) is extremely funny, but only once or twice. Like all gags of that sort, though, they’re destined to wear thin quickly. Sea of Thieves simply doesn’t have enough such goofs to go around—particularly ones that allow for meaningful interactions with the game or other players.
    Combat is overly simple and often plain tedious. You can swing your cutlass, charge it for a lunging attack, or fire one of three guns that never change their function (progression in Sea of Thieves consists of purely cosmetic upgrades to your outfit, ship, weaponry, etc.). But the sword swinging ends up just feeling like madly swatting at skeletons (the only regular NPC enemies in the game) or other players without impact or strategy.
    The rest of the game's goofy, unexpected antics go out the window as you just hammer on the attack trigger. Firearms add a bit of variety, but because you can only hold five rounds at a time, overusing them means constantly carting yourself back to the ship to refill.
    Booty-management sim

There’s a lot of schlepping back and forth between the ship and dry land, actually. Each of Sea of Thieves’ three structured mission types is its own class of tedious fetch quest. You dig up buried treasure and haul it to an NPC; kill a wave of mindless skeletons and haul one of their skulls to an NPC; or get a request to capture animals and... haul them back to an NPC.
    That last category is inarguably the most dreadful. While other missions give you some idea of where to find your quarry, these “trade missions” just tell you to find some number of some color of critter somewhere in the world.
    To do so, you’ll need to carry a cage from the assigning vendor to your ship (sometimes making multiple trips, because players can only carry one quest item at a time) and then... just search randomly. There’s no indication of which islands might house which animals. Even if you do find an archipelago with chickens on it, there’s no guarantee they’ll be the red-speckled breed you need, for instance.
    Oh, did I mention there’s a time limit for this aimless searching?

While these scavenger hunts are best described as anti-fun, the other two quest types aren’t much better. Riddle maps fare the best of the bunch, asking you to find buried treasure with a series of cheeky hints to help you along. The riddle maps give you something else to do besides manage inventory and walk from point A to point B, but they also give players a reason to keep talking. Everyone working together to solve these puzzles leans closer to Sea of Thieves’ greatest strengths: encouraging communication.
    High tension on the high seas

So far in this immediate post-launch period, though, cooperation also feels like the last thing on players’ minds. It’s fun and funny to sail together, sure, but my most exciting moments in Sea of Thieves have been getting rolled up on by fully crewed galleons looking for easy coin.
    Stealing other players’ ships feels like the most natural thing in the world. You’re playing a pirate, after all, and what else would you do with someone’s vessel once you’ve scraped off its former owners?
    I’ve swum under opposing vessels, boarded behind enemy crew, and cut lookouts to ribbons while their allies shouted warnings in proximity voice chat. I’ve juked sluggish galleons with far better firepower by outmaneuvering them in my nimble, loot-laden sloop. I swear it felt like I was having a heart attack when I thought I’d lose two hours of hard-earned chickens and glowing pirate skulls to randos shouting epithets at me in the distance.
    It all feels good... right up until you run into some artificial limitations. Killing a player just means they’ll respawn 30 seconds or so later, on the deck of that same ship. That means invading pirates can simply wait around to kill you again and again (and many players do), requiring you to sink your own pillaged ship (and spawn a new one) to get rid of them.

Insurmountable odds

Right now this creates a twofold problem. The game encourages you screw with other crews, but only in a very particular way. You can steal any loot they’ve collected and erase any progress they’ve made in the last hours, but not much else. Meanwhile, the short respawn timer gives three-or-four-person galleons an almost insurmountable advantage in battles of attrition. Manning a one-or-two-person sloop just makes you better at running away.
    The other, bigger problem with Sea of Thieves’ player-vs-player combat is more damning of the game in general: what’s the point? The islands are devoid of anything to discover, the quests are tremendously tedious, there’s no story to speak of, and it’s all in service of cosmetics that aren’t nearly as interesting as some of their item descriptions imply. The Lowly Souls Tankard says it’ll make you drinking buddies with spirits, but really it’s just... purple.
    Moreover, stealing other players’ booty or protecting what’s yours is leagues more exciting than the act of earning that booty through quests. So why would you ever want to earn the rewards yourself? Why not be predators instead of prey? And if you don’t have a big enough crew to consistently be the predators, why even play at all?
    These are the questions Rare will need to address if it wants Sea of Thieves to be anything but one fun weekend and forgotten. Games like Rainbow Six: Siege and No Man’s Sky have proven that post-launch changes for underwhelming games can make all the difference, but right now, there will have to be a lot of those changes after the earliest impressions wear off.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/sea-of-thieves-makes-a-weak-meandering-first-impression/

My reaction when I log on to the site:

Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jfugs2394
    I read some reviews and got varying opinions. But yes, seems like a No Man's Sky situation where people could get bored very fast.
    PSN: jFugs2394

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I don't have any problems with it if they have planned to add more to the game.
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

A whole lotta nothing Ninja Monkey's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Ninja_Monkey32- Steam ID: ninja_monkey32
    More like bootleg Wind Waker
    Monkeys are coming =0

3DS FC: 3282 4343 3420
    Switch FC: SW 6458 0633 8794

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
    More like bootleg Wind Waker
    Nah, it doesn't feel like Wind Waker except for the ocean lol
    But if they remade Wind Waker with this good water, that would be amazing!
    The water pretty much looks better than in real life.
    andrewjcole likes this.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I don't have any problems with it if they have planned to add more to the game.
    If it was a free early access I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

A whole lotta nothing Ninja Monkey's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Ninja_Monkey32- Steam ID: ninja_monkey32
    Nah, it doesn't feel like Wind Waker except for the ocean lol
    But if they remade Wind Waker with this good water, that would be amazing!
    The water pretty much looks better than in real life.
    Yeah but I feel like it'd be a far more fare statement than calling it No man's Sky Sea, considering they purposely over promised us things that wasn't even true and they continuously kept decieving fans of the game.

I will admit that Sea of thieves looks like a very bare-bones experience and that it'll get boring fast, but at least this one has multiplayer *shots fired*
    Monkeys are coming =0

3DS FC: 3282 4343 3420
    Switch FC: SW 6458 0633 8794

Nintendo NID
    Immallama22
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Immallama22
    I just want one really good pirate game. Is that so much to ask?

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    Quote Originally Posted by Immallama View Post
    Black Flag

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Nintendo NID
    Immallama22
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Immallama22
    Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    Black Flag

Black Flag is amazing but I wish the assassins creed aspects were removed. Skull and Bones looks cool but even that is only naval combat it seems.

Nintendo NID
    andrewjcole
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RampantLeaf1337 Steam ID: RampantLeaf
    Me too. Also a game with really good dragon flying mechanics. Just watched How to Train Your Dragon yesterday and now I want Rogue Squadron N64 but with flying dragons.

Put this picture here just to add extra credibility to anything I say.
    Been here since Feb. 2013 on another account. Haven't been active since recently.

Other Gamer IDs

What about that game being developed by Ubisoft-- "Skull and Bones"?

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jFug View Post
    What about that game being developed by Ubisoft-- "Skull and Bones"?
    He ninja'd you about that 22 minutes ago.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    He ninja'd you about that 22 minutes ago.
    I guess that's what I get for not reading the rest of the comments...
    Immallama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jw224 View Post
    If it was a free early access I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    If you have Xbox gamepass it's not too expensive lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    If you have Xbox gamepass it's not too expensive lol
    Game pass isn't free.
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    It's at least a lot more fun than Banjo Kazooie
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

I'm not surprised. Sea of Thieves has looked light on content to me since gameplay was shown. It did do well on Twitch and YouTube during its beta, but maybe that has more to do with it being a fun game to watch rather than a fun game to play.

After loading a scallywag not quite to my liking, I was greeted by 20 seconds of on-screen text, the game’s limited excuse for a tutorial. That text explained how to access my inventory, where to pick up quests, and... that’s about it. Essentials like the finer points of sailing control and just how the quest system works are blank spaces that have to be filled in by the player (or the players, if you’re playing with friends or strangers, as you really should).

After some solo bumbling on my boat, trying to figure out just how to make it go, I intuited that the sails were likely roped to whatever control mechanism Sea of Thieves provided. Sure enough: I traced those rope lines between mast and bulkhead to find the “controls.” From there, it was mostly smooth, entirely enjoyable sailing.
    Does no one actually press all the buttons and try to interact with everything/figure out the rules in games any more? The author admits that they eventually figured it out themselves, but I guess they'd have preferred a long/detailed tutorial that tells them everything?
    WoodenSaucer and Mr_Nick666 like this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    Quote Originally Posted by jw224 View Post
    Game pass isn't free.
    neither is green eggs and ham
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    Does no one actually press all the buttons and try to interact with everything/figure out the rules in games any more? The author admits that they eventually figured it out themselves, but I guess they'd have preferred a long/detailed tutorial that tells them everything?
    I'm gonna need you to hold my hand and meticulously explain everything. Kthnx

Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    I'm gonna need you to hold my hand and meticulously explain everything. Kthnx
    Okay. Don't worry if you can't follow the simple instructions, you'll still be able to review games for VentureBeat.
    Kahhhhyle likes this.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    Black Flag

Best pirtate game I've played. If you've a mind to you can just ignore the Assassin stuff and just be a pirate! I spent hours plundering the sea and mullering Legendary Ships.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Mario 64 is much more fun and fast paced.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Remember when you said you bought Banjo Kazooie "for your wife"?

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

Remember when you said you bought Banjo Kazooie "for your wife"?
    No?

No?

What game bundle was it you recently bought for your wife?

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

What game bundle was it you recently bought for your wife?
    Most recently I've decided to get the Crash Bandicoot trilogy that was just announced for Switch.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

sea of thieves has been declared a sales success :O
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: aMarioFan64 Steam ID: ECOCKPIT89

Daddy Long Legs beat me to it, but what the hey.

Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Most recently I've decided to get the Crash Bandicoot trilogy that was just announced for Switch.

Yeah, that's it. My mix-up.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I never was that into Banjo Kazooie
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

I never was that into Banjo Kazooie
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Dragonrider of Nintendo Draco Breach's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    DracoBreach
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Edymion PSN ID: bamthedoc Steam ID: DragonAgnstEvil
    I can't exactly say I'm not surprised that Sea of Thieves is being met with lukewarm (at best) reviews and derided as shallow. The very first trailer they showed had me hoping Rareware might be back. That was E3 2016 if memory serves. E3 2017 made it plunge off my radar. The gameplay they showed was uninteresting and just looked terrible.

The graphics were subpar, and the animations were stiff and... I don't know if I can adequately describe how awful they looked. It just looked really, really bad - like every other post-Microsoft Rareware title.

It really and truly saddens me that nobody at Microsoft can figure out how to invest in Rareware or their catalog of games. It says a lot that the best they've done is emulate most of Rareware's back catalog into a retro collection for Xbox One.

Seriously Microsoft. If you don't want the treasure trove you're sitting on, sell it to somebody who cares.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I don't care what the rest of the game looks. The water is the best water in any video game ever made.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

I don't care what the rest of the game looks. The water is the best water in any video game ever made.
    7.2/10 too much water?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Some things I wish this game should have is more ships on the sea at once, a bigger sea, randomly generated islands, some islands that are huge, up to 8 players on a crew etc.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Breach View Post
    I can't exactly say I'm not surprised that Sea of Thieves is being met with lukewarm (at best) reviews and derided as shallow. The very first trailer they showed had me hoping Rareware might be back. That was E3 2016 if memory serves. E3 2017 made it plunge off my radar. The gameplay they showed was uninteresting and just looked terrible.

The graphics were subpar, and the animations were stiff and... I don't know if I can adequately describe how awful they looked. It just looked really, really bad - like every other post-Microsoft Rareware title.

It really and truly saddens me that nobody at Microsoft can figure out how to invest in Rareware or their catalog of games. It says a lot that the best they've done is emulate most of Rareware's back catalog into a retro collection for Xbox One.

Seriously Microsoft. If you don't want the treasure trove you're sitting on, sell it to somebody who cares.
    Its graphics look the same as Rare games did back when they were good all those years ago.

GLA
    If they add to it (they certainly didn't have much time with only 5 years, did they?) then I totally see the potential most reviews talk of. Seems pretty popular with the XBox bunch though - "starved for games" etc.

Nintendo NID
    DracoBreach
    Other Gamer IDs

Its graphics look the same as Rare games did back when they were good all those years ago.
    At least back then, it was understandable with power limitations. However, the animations are actually worse than the good ol’ days at Rareware. Even Banjo Kazooie on the N64 has smoother animations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GLA
    The skeletons at the very least are giving me Golden Axe and Trine vibes.

Pirate 101 bootleg.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Breach View Post

True. Rare is now crap since Microsoft bought it.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    This game got boring really fast.
    It was such a cool concept, but it really needs more stuff to do. It needs pets, we need to have a potion that can turn us into a shark so we can explore the ocean, it needs mini games, randomly generated islands, some really huge islands with story lines that can take hours to complete and some more stuff. Having a house would also be cool.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

game is pretty deccent
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Quote Originally Posted by GameNChick View Post
    game is pretty deccent
    It can be fun if you are 3-4 players, but really boring if you play alone.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

I'm sorry to hear the negative views on this game. I was hoping Rare would be back, but I guess not.

Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hbeb9786 PSN ID: hbeb9786
    I like how this exclusive IP is free..

Nintendo NID
    DracoBreach
    Other Gamer IDs