• 4 Post By Darth Praxis
  • 1 Post By hbeb9786
  • 1 Post By Darth Praxis
  • 1 Post By hbeb9786

Thread: Issues with Destiny 2

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs

Issues with Destiny 2

I'm a big fan of Destiny, having written articles about it and putting an ungodly number of hours in playing the first game I was naturally very excited to see what was in store for me in the sequel.

But things got off to a rocky start when Bungie announced that the multiplayer deathmatch style "Crucible" modes would be limited from 6v6 in the first game down to 4v4 in Destiny 2!

For those of you familiar with multiplayer titles, it's generally understood that the sequel of a game franchise tries to add MORE players into their multiplayer modes, not less, so this is what we'd call a step backwards. Even though this severely disappointed me I still felt that the core game would likely have enough to help me push through my personal frustrations with this horrible decision, and I also understood that the reason they likely had to do this was because of the increase in graphical fidelity over the original, which was present for sure.

Unfortunately however Bungie seems to have forgotten some of what made Destiny 1 so intriguing and for whatever reason altered many systems in the game that actually took away from the experience rather then improve upon the excellent existing ones.

One of their many blunders was to lock weapon and armor attributes to their respective weapons and armor rather then allow the RNG to randomly roll them upon every pickup or engrams decryption. In place of this they allowed one of the most passive upgrades you could allow for you to "boost" your item's perks, the useless and unnecessarily expensive MOD system that only allows you to add extremely minor attribute augmentation to these weapons and armor pieces.

This sounds like something small, but in a game that is meant to have players spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours grinding for weapons and armor, without any REAL side-quests per se or any kind of actual crafting system, even though there are environmental resources you collect that only duplicate the already identical token system you use to get engrams from different NPC's, it makes what you are doing seem that much less rewarding. I mean if Bungie had allowed the RNG system to remain in place and instead of this worthless MOD system actually taken the time to break their armor/weapons down further allowing for some REAL innovation with players actually building armor/weapons and upgrading perks and accessories to maximize their effectiveness, THAT would have would have been an intriguing reason to continue grinding out this game.

Getting back to the Crucible (multiplayer) mode, even though condensed as it is my hope was to at least have a few new modes to mess around in. But again to my dismay and frustration to this day this mode remains split not into it's many variant modes, but as two PLAYLISTS of modes, randomly dumping players into different modes one after another. So once again player choice has been limited AGAIN. I do understand that this was likely done in an effort to populate these modes so that less popular game types would not become ghost towns. But it also indicates that Bungie doesn't seem nearly as confident that these modes would populate as long as the gameplay is still fun. Even with 4 players being removed from every multiplayer game mode, which as you might expect also had the effect of shrinking the maximum map size to COD levels when some of Destiny 1' s most exciting matches occured on the much larger, sprawling maps....WITH VEHICLES that are nowhere to be found in this game!

Another aspect that has always confounded me about the Destiny series is the collecting of absolutely USELESS spaceships! These "vehicles" play no greater role in this game then glorified animated loading screens, many of which can be circumvented by now being capable of spawning directly on certain maps eschewing the need altogether. Where is the space combat that would give this game an entirely new and unique mode to explore? Outposts and missions from planet to planet? Kick-ass multiplayer space battles? Weapon, armor, and engine upgrades? Completely lost to Bungie!

But possibly the most frustrating thing that has occurred recently is the DLC. The brand new Curse of Osiris DLC had potential to be something really neat and interesting, and in some ways it does. It offers a new location and public space to congregate on, and the environment design is interesting and cool in some instances. But the story it tells is so paint-by-the-numbers that after 30 minutes it just felt old, boring, and predictable as hell. I kept hoping it would surprise me and throw a curveball but it didn't. And after spending slightly more then 3 hours retreding the same area I believe no less then 6 times, literally going back and forth and back and forth, with almost ZERO difficulty my buddy and I beat the DLC story!

Done.

We're rewarded with an armor piece, a couple new weapons and that's it.

I mean,I'm going to play some more but this just really let me down.

And then I hear that some variation of the randomizing of weapons is coming, locked in the DLC I'm assuming, that allows certain attainable weapons from the DLC mode to be reforged allowing perks to change, for in-game currency.

Geez Bungie!

One baby-step forward, two baby-steps backward!

I will say that maybe playing with someone who enjoys the experience more might have a bit of a buffering affect then playing with my exceptionally critical buddy, but Bungie really needs to bring up their game, big time!
    Last edited by Darth Praxis; 12-07-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    DeliciousMalk and hbeb9786 like this.

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Could you put in a TL;DR that's 10 words or less? Skyward is back, y'know.
    Darth Praxis and hbeb9786 like this.
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Destiny 2 kinda good but suckass in a buncha ways!

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    this sounds like the 1st DLC for DKS III. It was short and unimaginative. It is a complete ripp of of the same area, with the same name from DKS. you start the DLC and within maybe 2 hrs or less you have completed it. No challenge at all and no real reward.

At least, with DKS III 2nd DLC they added in real content. Loads of rewards like +3 rings (all the ones /i use got a +3 version) weapons, armour and bosses that test your metal. WU and I have killed every boss but the hardest ones where on the DLC. Even after killing them once, we struggled to kill them a second time. Mad fun.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    It is rather frustrating, to say the least. I still love the mechanic and gameplay of Destiny 2, if only Bungie would actually be as solid with content beyond the core game story. And in truth Destiny 2's story and script writing were extremely, how can I put this, low caliber. The talent was there but with such mundane and exceptionally predictable lines and motivations, so much cliche'd dialogue, it felt liken the producers had written Destiny 2 for grade schoolers.
    hbeb9786 likes this.

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Sorry to here this man. I have watched a bit of this game and it just looks epic, but just do not wanna get sucked into an online game. if it hits game pass I will have a crack at it though.
    Darth Praxis likes this.