Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: I finally beat Skyward Sword. Way better than I thought.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    Popular opinion =/= safe.

Ocarina changed my life dude. It took a hobby I was casually into and turned it into a passion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    OoT was the first Zelda game I really played and finished. It made me a fan of the series, and it's what started me feeling like Zelda is my favorite franchise. So it was really huge for me, too. But I'm willing to admit they've outdone it since then.

Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    OoT was the first Zelda game I really played and finished. It made me a fan of the series, and it's what started me feeling like Zelda is my favorite franchise. So it was really huge for me, too. But I'm willing to admit they've outdone it since then.
    I wasn't trying to put together an objective ranking; I pretty much hang out in the subjective realm unless forced otherwise. That's why I enjoy reviewing things

Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    I wasn't trying to put together an objective ranking; I pretty much hang out in the subjective realm unless forced otherwise. That's why I enjoy reviewing things

I know, man. I'm just telling you your subjective opinion is wrong.
    drew79 and cThreep like this.

Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jpd0184
    Congrats, I tried on five separate occasions to finish it. Just couldn't do it, game frustrated me too much in almost every way.
    drew79 likes this.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: c_threep
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd01 View Post
    Congrats, I tried on five separate occasions to finish it. Just couldn't do it, game frustrated me too much in almost every way.
    Yeeowza, at least you gave it a fair shake.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

What I find interesting about the story in Skyward Sword is that Hyrule is nowhere to be found...

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by cThreep View Post
    What I find interesting about the story in Skyward Sword is that Hyrule is nowhere to be found...
    Been awhile since I played it, but as I recall Skyloft was a chunk of Hyrule set in the sky, correct?

Also I may have to get the SS Link Amiibo. I would like more variations though from other games. I thought the Zora armor from TP was pretty neat visually.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    Lunkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post
    Been awhile since I played it, but as I recall Skyloft was a chunk of Hyrule set in the sky, correct?

Also I may have to get the SS Link Amiibo. I would like more variations though from other games. I thought the Zora armor from TP was pretty neat visually.
    If I remember right, at the end of the game...

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Skykoft was a piece of "the surface" but the surface never had a name.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Right, the surface of Hyrule. I thought was kind of a given.

I mean, it's obviously not Narnia or Mars or whatever, right?
    Lunkhead.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    That's a really jacked up list, man. I'm not completely sure where I'd put BotW yet, but I think out of those games, my list would be more like:

1. BotW
    2. SS
    3. WW
    4. TP
    5. OoT
    6. Minish Cap
    7. ALttP
    8. MM

I had to put Minish Cap in there because it's better than a couple you listed. I'd probably even rather play that turd Phantom Hourglass than Majora's Mask.

What games do you already have for the Wii U?
    Pretty much anything worth a damn, and a few that are just ok, and a couple that are pretty bad. I buy more games than I have time to play, except now I have time to play.

Maybe I'll work on Disney Infinity 3, I certainly bought enough crap for that game!
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    Lunkhead.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Right, the surface of Hyrule. I thought was kind of a given.

I mean, it's obviously not Narnia or Mars or whatever, right?
    Actually I thought it was Middle Earth.
    WoodenSaucer and aMarioFan64 like this.

I think they did that so people would imagine what it ends up becoming in the future.

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: aMarioFan64 Steam ID: ECOCKPIT89
    Actually I thought it was Middle Earth.
    Here I was thinking it was LoompaLand.

On topic, I still need to play through Skyward Sword one of these days.
    drew79 likes this.
    NNID: eCockpit
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    Here I was thinking it was LoompaLand.

On topic, I still need to play through Skyward Sword one of these days.
    Once you get past all the unnecessary clutter it's a very good game.

The first hour or so is melodramatic nonsense that strives to be serious but for all intents and purposes is an Archie comic, except Archie is better written.
    Kahhhhyle and aMarioFan64 like this.
    Lunkhead.

I really didn't like this game. If you are asking me to do something precise with motion controls, your motion controls better be precise....it wasn't. Also how many times am I going to have to fight the imprisoned? Once was good but the 15th time, I had enough. Some parts were cool, like the flying on the avatar birds...and that creepy bathroom hand.
    drew79 likes this.
    "You must fight with honour! It is against the rules to throw the king out the ring!”

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Nobody likes the creepy bathroom hand.
    Lunkhead.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

The first hour or so is melodramatic nonsense that strives to be serious but for all intents and purposes is an Archie comic, except Archie is better written.
    I'm actually a big fan of the intro and Skyloft. I enjoy the game's setup.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I'm actually a big fan of the intro and Skyloft. I enjoy the game's setup.
    I did appreciate the relationship between Link and Zelda; that part was actually really cool for me. What I didn't care for was running around basically running errands and talking to idiots to get there. I think the sword training was clunky but necessary. All the crap with the missing bird, the pseudo religious stuff, the missing bird, Link oversleeping, I think you had to catch a cat... for me that's just padding.

When I buy a new game I like to get right down to it as soon as possible. Anything that gets in the way irritates me.

I think SS could have handled that part much better. I appreciate the need to bring new players up to speed, but I've been playing LoZ since the first one, and it would be nice if Nintendo gave us some credit, you know?

If the tutorial and options were handled better it would be a different matter.

When I play an LoZ game I expect to have the story flow in an organic matter rather than being forced to sit through large chunks of dialogue before I can proceed. That's bad storytelling and bad game design. And it's not just me and my dislike for unnecessary exposition; this is a common complaint with the series.

I think SS did a lot of stuff right; I enjoyed playing it and this thread has made me consider giving it a replay. Thank you for that.

That said, the way the first hour or so was handled was a huge turn off for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

For me, I value strong gameplay (which SS does have, eventually) over what amounts to teenage melodrama and bad fanfic.

Nintendo has many strengths, but writing a good story isn't one of them IMO.
    Lunkhead.

Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: zeldatrek
    How dare you? In my CNA days I'd give anything for that to be real!!!! Why wouldn't you want a toilet that wipes for you?

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldatrek View Post
    How dare you? In my CNA days I'd give anything for that to be real!!!! Why wouldn't you want a toilet that wipes for you?
    If I could find a decent gloryhole gif you would be sorry.
    Lunkhead.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

I did appreciate the relationship between Link and Zelda; that part was actually really cool for me. What I didn't care for was running around basically running errands and talking to idiots to get there. I think the sword training was clunky but necessary. All the crap with the missing bird, the pseudo religious stuff, the missing bird, Link oversleeping, I think you had to catch a cat... for me that's just padding.

When I buy a new game I like to get right down to it as soon as possible. Anything that gets in the way irritates me.

I think SS could have handled that part much better. I appreciate the need to bring new players up to speed, but I've been playing LoZ since the first one, and it would be nice if Nintendo gave us some credit, you know?

If the tutorial and options were handled better it would be a different matter.

When I play an LoZ game I expect to have the story flow in an organic matter rather than being forced to sit through large chunks of dialogue before I can proceed. That's bad storytelling and bad game design. And it's not just me and my dislike for unnecessary exposition; this is a common complaint with the series.

I think SS did a lot of stuff right; I enjoyed playing it and this thread has made me consider giving it a replay. Thank you for that.

That said, the way the first hour or so was handled was a huge turn off for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

For me, I value strong gameplay (which SS does have, eventually) over what amounts to teenage melodrama and bad fanfic.

Nintendo has many strengths, but writing a good story isn't one of them IMO.
    I don't mind slower, story driven intros because for me it adds weight to what happens in the game's story; it makes you care about the characters. I get that you're saying you like story too and just don't like fluff, but I'm also fine with a 60 second "fetch the cat" quest to help you learn how to run up a wall, grab a ledge, and shimmy.

To be fair to Skyward Sword, there were some new and unique gameplay mechanics and button layouts that weren't all present in older Zelda games, even for folks like you who have played Zelda from the first one. So a little introduction to the new stuff ain't all that bad.

Having said that, gamers like ourselves would have figured that stuff out pretty quickly on our own.
    WoodenSaucer and drew79 like this.

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: link16hit
    oh and it remind me! Skyward sword is the only one you can save in specific place, like Majora's mask!
    cThreep likes this.
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Link_16_hit View Post
    oh and it remind me! Skyward sword is the only one you can save in specific place, like Majora's mask!
    I did like that feature quite a bit, especially since the areas were so huge it'd be a pain to start at the beginning each time.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I don't mind slower, story driven intros because for me it adds weight to what happens in the game's story; it makes you care about the characters. I get that you're saying you like story too and just don't like fluff, but I'm also fine with a 60 second "fetch the cat" quest to help you learn how to run up a wall, grab a ledge, and shimmy.

To be fair to Skyward Sword, there were some new and unique gameplay mechanics and button layouts that weren't all present in older Zelda games, even for folks like you who have played Zelda from the first one. So a little introduction to the new stuff ain't all that bad.

Having said that, gamers like ourselves would have figured that stuff out pretty quickly on our own.
    That's a good point about the controls. One of my issues with tutorials, besides being too sluggish, is that a lot of games don't have a refresher or quick reference guide, and modern games tend to be fairly complex. For me especially, I tend to start a game and maybe not be able to get back to it right away. When I pick it up again I don't remember all the control nuances and guess what? They are only found in a tutorial!

As I recall TP and SS are pretty good about that, but that's sort of the exception, you know? That sort of thing is one of the reasons I miss physical manuals. If I have an hour of game time I'd rather not spend it re-learning how to charge jump or whatever, especially when better options exist.

Something Monster Hunter does well is teaching you how to use weapons. There is an arena/dojo where you can try out say a bowgun or a lance under certain conditions, and it's entirely optional. If you don't want to learn how to use a Switch axe, than you don't have to sit through a lesson. I like the practicality of that.

I always like a retrospective look at slightly older games, removed from the hype, controversy, what have you.
    cThreep likes this.
    Lunkhead.

Everyone loves bathroom hand.
    WoodenSaucer and cThreep like this.
    "You must fight with honour! It is against the rules to throw the king out the ring!”

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    I came here to ask why you beat up Skyward Sword.

... Then I realized 25 people already asked that. You guys suck!

Especially you, Z.T.!

Last edited by The Cloud Strife; 05-23-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    cThreep and aMarioFan64 like this.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    Diseregard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    I came here to ask why you beat up Skyward Sword.

... Then I realized 25 people already asked that. You guys suck!

Especially you, Z.T.!

That's what you get for ditching us for a long time.
    cThreep and The Cloud Strife like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12