Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpd01

Thread: The Wii just turned ten!

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13

The Wii just turned ten!

Ok, this is a day late, but the Wii is now ten years old!

Would you like to share your thoughts on Wii? All opinions are welcome of course, but positive ones are preferred. If you want to call the Wii a piece of crap there is the whole rest of the internet for that...

There are a bunch of hidden gems or best of Wii lists out there, so I won't go into that sort of thing. But I will say that I think Punch Out and Excitebots are simply great games. They are both a good mix of arcade "pick up and play" combined with rewarding players who are willing to put in the time to master them, which is something I really appreciate.

I also think light gun games and sports games on Wii worked exceptionally well. The accuracy of shooting was great, and if the motion controls were tight, shooting a basket or delivering a hard check was never more satisfying.

What I liked about Wii was the abundance of odd games that took chances, which is something I feel we don't see a lot of anymore.

But what are your thoughts?

Wii was a pretty nifty little thing.
    Was a very nice console that reminded me a lot of Arcade gaming, nice bite-sized things and some great Nintendo games like Galaxy etc.
    Hated the forced motion/alternative controls though. I'd have preferred if they were 100% optional and always the best option rather than forced use.
    drew79 likes this.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

GLA
    The b-grade arcade games are something I'm going to start delving more into (I've added a fair few to my amazon and ebay baskets just to keep track of what I want). I'm always surprised to discover more items that capture my interest and land in my shopping basket. I haven't really played too many Wii games (I own over 140 now, and I can proudly state this is without stooping to shovelware), but I really do see it as an investment as these games do not require downloading patches and, providing you take care of them and buy them in good nick, you have no worries. I generally play my Wii games on my Wii U (although it does irritate that they don't show up properly in your play log), but have both a PAL Wii and NTSC Wii (which I think is black) - I use those for GameCube games because the picture is better (if too bright).

For me it has the core Nintendo blockbusters, the more left-field 'Nintendo novelty' items that made use of their gimmicks well, a solid if not overwhelming amount of 3rd party exclusives, and what's been touched upon already, seemingly a lot of arcade style games that I'm noticing is getting mentioned more and more in relation to the Wii's legacy.

I think the controllers feel very cheap, the analogue sticks not having a clear curve to guide is very old-fashioned and the other accessories are the definition of utter tat. A cheap, deceptive shell containing many, many prizes then.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    It's a lot of fun. I still destroy people in Wii Bowling.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)

Happy anniversary, Wii

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    [QUOTE=GLA;830501]The b-grade arcade games are something I'm going to start delving more into (I've added a fair few to my amazon and ebay baskets just to keep track of what I want). I'm always surprised to discover more items that capture my interest and land in my shopping basket. I haven't really played too many Wii games (I own over 140 now, and I can proudly state this is without stooping to shovelware), but I really do see it as an investment as these games do not require downloading patches and, providing you take care of them and buy them in good nick, you have no worries. I generally play my Wii games on my Wii U (although it does irritate that they don't show up properly in your play log), but have both a PAL Wii and NTSC Wii (which I think is black) - I use those for GameCube games because the picture is better (if too bright).

For me it has the core Nintendo blockbusters, the more left-field 'Nintendo novelty' items that made use of their gimmicks well, a solid if not overwhelming amount of 3rd party exclusives, and what's been touched upon already, seemingly a lot of arcade style games that I'm noticing is getting mentioned more and more in relation to the Wii's legacy.

That's something I like about the Wii library as well; the oddball stuff. While I do have a few games that could be considered Shovel ware, those are really the exception and not the rule. And I don't really consider them shovelware (no Petz or Babiez in my collection!) but just poorly made games. And something like Dino Strike or Castlevania Judgement has enough to keep me interested, even if it doesn't appeal to most people.

The Wii was my first Nintendo machine since the NES; I had no idea what Smash Bros even was, and I didn't recognize most of the characters! But overall, it's been good to be a Nintendo gamer again.

Because Xbox sucks.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    The Wii was okay. I was really excited about it until I actually got my hands on it. I feel like there weren't that many great games for it like there is on GameCube and Wii U.

But New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii were fun games.
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Wii tennis was one of the greatest multi players of all time. I had that perfect smash down like a boss.

People pretend Andy Murray has inspired us brits to play tennis, I say it was wii sports.