Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Will the WiiU make it?

Well atleast they'll give it a chance.
    Last edited by Switch; 02-11-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Bad word play.

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

Sounds like my little bro he's not getting a Wii U until smash bro comes out
    (((Post King)))

Nintendo ID: DeviousOne

DeviousOne's Reviews:
    Wii U: Nintendo Land New Super Mario U

The problem is, if this is everyone's reaction, there won't be a Smash Bros. because the project will get cancelled due to lack of sales.

Not saying that's what's actually going to happen. Just pointing out that's the logical end to that line of thinking.

Before Wii U, the last video game console I spent any time with was the Nintendo 64. I skipped every Playstation, XBox, etc. There are two rather glaring issues that I can't understand for the life of me:

1) Why is Wii U not being marketed?

I have yet to see ONE commercial for it. Granted I don't watch a lot of TV, but in the 6 months since ads should have started running (couple months before release), I should have seen at least one by now. If not TV commercial, maybe print ad? Maybe internet ad? Perhaps a mention at a sporting event? How about a billboard or two? Nothing. Nada. Zip. Nobody knows what Wii U is. What's worse, a lack of advertisement comes across as the company being afraid to promote their product. If Nintendo does not appear confident in their product, why should anyone fork over the $300/$350 to buy it?

2) Where are the release titles?

Yes, I know all about NSMBU, ZombiU, Sonic All-Stars, blah blah blah. That's not my question. My question is where are the same sorts of release titles that drove the Wii craze? Games like Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Music? On their way is the answer, with Wii Fit U first up I guess. Problem is, I only know that because I watched the latest Nintendo Direct. How many of the general public, who are the biggest drivers of these sales we're not seeing, watched that? Zero.

There's NOT ONE, outside of MAYBE Mario Bros U release title that would draw in a general audience. There's NOT ONE Wii U title that would make me look at my Wii and think "Man, we had some good times, but I gotta ditch you for a Wii U if I want that really cool looking new game!" if I owned one. While I was working retail during the holidays, I saw more Wii's being sold than Wii U's, and they were sold right next to each other! That's absolutely tragic for a new console! Would it have happened had the Wii U had those high broad-base audience appeal titles out on release day? Doubt it. Now, 4 months after release, there is not one hint of those titles even on the way that has made it to the General Public's ears. That's not a great strategy if you want them to buy what's BY FAR the most expensive video game console on the market right now.

Will the Wii U make it? I think it will eventually. However, for the time being, Nintendo is currently authoring the guide, "How Not to Launch Your Next Generation Console" and I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft are studying their advance copies cover to cover.

The Wii U I bought was mainly with my sister's kids in mind. Picked it up on release day, along with 2 Wii U games. Since then I've not bought another Wii U game, but I have bought 10 Wii games. 10 Wii games - 0 Wii U games. That tells me all I need to know about why Wii U sales are disappointing thus far.
    Last edited by UMan28; 02-12-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    I totally agree with you. I was talking to my good lady about this last night. Between us, since release, we've seen TWO adverts! This is piss poor. It's a great system but, maybe you have a point, they're not shouting because, until E3, there's not that much to shout about...

So many promised titles are lingering in the distance. I'm astounded they didn't package a WiiU Sports with the system (one of the most played games for my Wii was the FREE one! - Hell that game set even encouraged my folks to buy a Wii!).

It really makes me angry. The WiiU has so much to offer and it's grieving that Nintendo aren't capitolising on this and generating a large install base, before the competition starts chipping away.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    I used to be mad that I never see commercials for the Wii U. Then I realized that everything I watch is either on Netflix, or DVR'ed and I skip the commercials. Now with Dish Network and The Hopper, it even automatically skips all of the commercials in PrimeTime shows. So I guess I never see any commercials, and I don't have any idea if they are showing them or not.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

I doubt they cancel any games in production Nintendo know smash bro is one of their killer apps that will sell a lot of hardware.

Its been in production for what 2 years it was announced in 2011 at e3 I really expect to see some gameplay video this year
    (((Post King)))

DeviousOne's Reviews:

@Mr_Nick666

Just keep it, wait till their are more games, really nobody has finished our launch games. Be positive. You will want it when 1st partys come. !!!! And I believe if Devs wil chance the Wii U will find it shines, if they will and there is no excuse, Im getting confirmation that major nex-gen engines will be ported to even tablets/cell-phones, so wii u can. I like high tech so i hate the Wii U and Nintendo right now, but I think they can make it, I think the Wii U can handle nex-gen if devs try. I really believe the cpu is better than people think and the gpu is good too.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    I know I've said a lot of times that I'm not a Wii U salesman, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't speak positively about it. I just had a guy from Frontier come to fix my internet. He saw my Wii U and asked if that's what it is. He said he's never seen one yet. He asked me all about it and seemed like he thought it was awesome. When he found out BO2 is on it, he really perked up.

I'm not going to go out of my to be a salesman, but if somebody asks, I'll play it up.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

I sell the Wii U in any conversation I have lol I've sold 3 lmfao...I have this co worker he's a halo nut I'm trying to bring him to the dark side lol
    (((Post King)))

DeviousOne's Reviews:

Or would that be back from the dark side?
    WoodenSaucer and matthew954 like this.

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

Nintendo is the New darkside Wii Will wii U?

Now pay me Nintendo got your next campaign going lmao
    matthew954 likes this.
    (((Post King)))

DeviousOne's Reviews:

At least they'd have one then, right?

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

Nintendo should do a contest where they let fans submit slogans for a chance to win something cool
    Last edited by DeviousOne; 02-12-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    (((Post King)))

DeviousOne's Reviews:

I'm not giving up on my WiiU! I genuinely love it. I'm just looking at the future and, at present, I'm worried. Many people say "have faith" but faith isn't worth a damn. I need to see some action, be it games or advertising.

Like a few of the other guys, I'M a BETTER salesman for WiiU than Nintendo, at the minute! I'm extoling it's virtues constantly and, any gamer that gets even near my house, is made to play it!

the advertising will most likely start this fall. when they have a bigger gaming lineup and it will be the holidays; the economy spends lots of monies during this time of year.
    no doom and gloom for this wii u owner. people are worried about nintendos competition, but its console gaming as a whole that is having a hard time right now; gaming on mobile, touchpads, laptops, its hurting the industry as a whole. Nintendo knows this and has implemented ways that smaller game creators can get their games published on their system (cloudberry kingdom). But 100million dollar game creators are feeling the pinch from this new gaming market. So cross platform releases is the only way they are going to make profits to keep them afloat to create more games.

Perhaps in earnest, but I bet they do an advertising push for Lego City that dwarfs everything they've done so far. Of course, that isn't very hard.

Yeah, they're more lego city ads than Wii U ads. That's not a good thing.

Well, it kind of is. You advertise for Lego City, you're advertising for both. I'm not saying that it's the route I would have chosen, but it's not all bad.

But what about the people who are not interested in Lego City, but there could be other games that would interest them but they don't know of them.

I think the idea is that, at the very least, it's advertising the console!

More like Lego will make the advertising push rather than Nintendo.

One thing no one has mentioned about is dependability. The Wii U was the first console I ever bought at launch. I've always waited a year atleast to upgrade systems. I have owned all of the previous Nintendo systems and have never let me down. I even went back and bought another NES and SNES! Going on thirty years old and their still going strong. I've never had to replace a single Nintendo. Since 1999 I've had 3 PS1's, 4 PS2's, 1 PS3 and a PSP GO. All the systems have died on me and needed replaced, and I'm only a casual gamer. These consoles are a major investment for me, and I'm not one who likes to buy more than one machine.

I also work in the Electronics department at my local Wal-Mart. I sell more replacement Playstations and Xbox's than I do for Nintendo. Advertising is a major problem as I see people looking in the game case expecting to see Wii's and ask me "whats that". But I always come back to Nintendo because the systems are made to be user friendly and dependable machines. Nintendo always works the bugs out of the machines before release.
    The Detonator and AKT4 like this.

Nintendo NID
    Derpy_Dude
    Don't think I've commented on here but YES! Of cores it will, it's only in it's 3rd month, we just need too WAIT! And see what comes along.
    I love Jesus, don't h8 meh bruhz! Skype: Isaid...XD yeah Ik, it literally is lol. Twitter: @Derpy_Dude7
    NNID: Derpy_Dude
    PSN: WiiU_Derpy_Dude

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

Interesting perspective! Maybe you can let us know what deal wal mart may have on some games!!! You can be our insider guy at walmart!! (Evil laugh) lol
    (((Post King)))

DeviousOne's Reviews:

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    Lethal
    The Wii U will make it because it is Nintendo. Will the Wii U get all the glamorous games as the other consoles? Maybe. But Nintendo is known for their amazing first party games. I strongly believe that anyone that owns a Wii U, will probably want to also own one of the other next gen consoles as well. Just to make sure you get all those 3rd party games.
    Billy Mitchell and DeviousOne like this.

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

I will be one of those however I will always need my Nintendo Console for first party IP's!

Its really gonna take patience from Wii U owners and a better job by nintendo marking this thing!
    (((Post King)))

DeviousOne's Reviews:

I dunno... If we take a look in the past we'd find that NOA has always had a god awful marketing section. All of their commercials from the NES to the Gamecube were terrible, and they never even mention any games outside of their big releases which most people would have already known about. So yeah. I think the Wii U will make it even with poor marketing.

All of their other consoles did.
    1up! likes this.
    Nintendo ID - Rainmaker
    3DS Friend Code - 0946-2543-8206
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040604163
    Feel free to add me on any. (Just let me know)

So I have a Let's Play channel now. That's cool... I guess.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbN...nW2wumA/videos

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    Lethal
    As a gamer growing up in the 80's and 90's, I felt they were WAY more video game commercials than we have now. Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, etc. Who can forget the Dr. Mario commercial with the witch doctor? They had commercials that are still stuck in my head today. Genesis does what NintenDONT! Do the Math!! Even Atari did a good job marketing, even though they were marketing a turd.

Genesis had BLAST PROCESSING!!! nobody even knew what the hell that meant, but it sold consoles!

Good times!
    Last edited by Lethal_NFS; 02-17-2013 at 01:02 AM.

I dunno, those Wii guys in the little Smart Car were pretty cool, and I think they were pretty effective, too. They should just bring them back. Instead of "Wii...would like to play...", it could be "Wii would like to play...with U..."...
    AKT4 and matthew954 like this.

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne

Will the WiiU make it?

Lol @ BLAST PROCESSING!!!

They need more aggressive marketing seriously.

Atleast with the Wii the commercials were being played I haven't seen a Wii U commercial in about 2 weeks or more!
    (((Post King)))

DeviousOne's Reviews:

Regarding marketing, maybe Nintendo could learn a thing or two from Sony.

Alright, goodnight for real folks. I love it here despite the down period!
    the ancient gamer likes this.

How about:

"U will join us " lol sort of a jedi pun lol.

As far as the games are concerned, my Wal-Mart is quite small, and my game selection royally sucks lol. But in terms of selection we are mostly a Nintendo store, or a Microsoft store. I have 3 game case devoted to Nintendo, 2 to Microsoft, and only 1 for Sony. My game rep told me right before the holiday that my store especially, but others as well are only going to carry "major" new releases for Playstation.

My only fault with Nintendo however is that While I may have 3 displays of them, Nintendo only ships us barely enough games and systems to fill 2 of the cases. The rest is what we like to call "flex". We just fill it with games for Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS that don't have an official spot in the other 2 cases. We could do much more with Nintendo, if they'd only send us more games that have already released for all the systems. I can only hope!

We are the Wii U resistance is futile
    Switch and matthew954 like this.

Thats awesome. I like that lol.

Time to open the time capsule!

Let's see what's inside. Ooohh

At least you didn't make a new thread about an old thread this time.
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

Mah word what a blast from the past
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

I got some complaints about doing that.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    i think the wii u will make it, all signs pointing to success
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    ‚Äčbooga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Who'd have though I could have got it so wrong...

...Oh, wait...

Nope. Totally called it!

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    hahahahahahahahahaha

GLA
    I think the HD ports definitely had Kimmy stroking his non existent tache. Wii U was the market research sacrificial lamb.

I think the end user was the sacrifical lamb on this occasion!

GLA
    That was probably just a faulty gamepad electrocuting that first batch of day one-ers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12