Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Death
  • 1 Post By Princedavid
  • 1 Post By Prid13
  • 1 Post By Rainmaker133

Thread: Death's In-depth Review of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Death's In-depth Review of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Introduction

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, or S&ASRT for short, is the successor to Sumo Digital's Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (2010) and the lone arcade racing title present in the Wii U's launch line-up. It's an interesting racing title that clearly takes inspiration from RareWare's Diddy Kong Racing (1997) and Vicarious Visions' Crash Nitro Kart (2003), though is different enough to stand out from its inspirations.

S&ASRT, as its name suggests, features a myriad of characters and courses taken from Sega's prestigious and nostalgic catalogue of intellectual property, with notable examples being Alex Kidd, Ristar & Nights. In addition to an all-star cast of memorable characters, it also features a variety of game modes and objectives, including online multi-player.

Game Play

Single-player career, online multi-player and local multi-player are all supported by S&ASRT, allowing for everyone to be satisfied by its offerings. Within the single-player career are four additional game-modes, including World Tour, Grand Prix, Time Attack and Single Race. Grand Prix allows you to compete in Mario Kart style cups in order to win trophies whereas Time Attack allows you to challenge Sumo Digital's best times for each course.

World Tour, by far the most dynamic and enthralling game mode, allows you progress through 'worlds' by completing certain objectives on certain tracks. S&ASRT includes multiple difficulty settings that allows less experienced players to progress through the tracks as well; however, since you earn a star for each difficulty level you successfully complete, only the most experienced players will be able to fully progress through the World Tour and unlock additional characters.

S&ASRT provides unique challenges in World Tour mode that prevent the game from becoming too stale too quickly, and it's definitely a welcomed addition. Objectives include traditional racing, elimination battles, drifting challenges, time attacks and even 'boss' battles. Each of these provide adequate challenge, and some can be especially challenging on Hard difficulty.

In addition to offering a variety of challenges and game modes, the game is also notable for seamlessly transforming tracks as you race, revealing previously inaccessible paths, and for seamlessly transforming your vehicle into a more suitable form to deal with the ever-changing path.

Graphics

Although some jagged edges are noticeable, for the most part the title has very crisp graphics filled with vibrant colouring. S&ASRT is a very faced past title, which could be considered a perfect balance between Nintendo's Mario Kart and F-Zero franchises. I haven't noticed any performance issues whatsoever, and whilst some tracks do 'appear' to suffer from 'texture pop-in', I believe it's more a case of intended effect, as it only happens on one or two tracks in total.

Summary & Additional Notes

Whilst S&ASRT doesn't make much use of the Wii U's signature GamePad controller, it does offer a course map and race position list when playing. You can also play the game entirely on the GamePad by dragging from the top of the touch screen to the bottom.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is very fun and engaging title that's definitely learned from, and surpassed, previous arcade racing games including Mario Kart Wii (2008). I strongly believe that Sumo Digital have set a new standard for arcade racing titles, and Nintendo will have a very difficult time attempting to surpass this with future Mario Kart entries.

Overall Rating: 9.0/10
    Last edited by Death; 12-13-2012 at 05:28 AM.

good read Death
    Death likes this.

Nintendo NID
    DooMed
    I think Nintendo did quite a bit with MarioKart 7. I was disappointed in the lack of characters to choose from but the tracks were really cool and detailed. What they did with rainbow road and the asteroids was very nice. Plus I'm sure they will be putting alot of hours into the WiiU version. They still got some gamers to win over and a very great, detailed MarioKart game with a full roster of racers will be a nice touch to that goal.
    - I saw six men kicking and punching my mother-in-law. My neighbor walks over and says, "Are you going to help?" I said, "No, six should be enough." -

Nintendo ID: DooMed

3ds Friend Code:

Great review Death! Better than the review of reviews!

Amazing review. I have yet to get this game, but I am eagerly waiting for it as I love Sonic! After reading your incredible review, I am fully convinced now and just have to get this game
    Death likes this.

Yup, screw it. I got some gift cards for Christmas and there's a pretty big boxing week price drop so I'm gonna pick it up if I get the chance. I kind of wanted it on PC for the TF2 characters, but I hate racing controls on a computer. Not to mention I would get ridiculous frame drop. I need a new PC...
    Death likes this.
    Nintendo ID - Rainmaker
    3DS Friend Code - 0946-2543-8206
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040604163
    Feel free to add me on any. (Just let me know)

So I have a Let's Play channel now. That's cool... I guess.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbN...nW2wumA/videos