• 1 Post By The Cloud Strife
  • 1 Post By GameNChick
  • 1 Post By blaisedinsd
  • 1 Post By wu_wei_lion
  • 1 Post By GLA
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer

Thread: Wii U's are getting harder to find

Wii U's are getting harder to find

TL;DR It seems that even with the Switch out most people aren't trading in their Wii U's.

“Grab a Wii U while you can, because they won’t be around forever,” a Nintendo executive said in a 2016 interview, as the company geared up for the launch of Switch. The Wii U has vanished from retail stores and, now, used games salespeople across the country are saying that they’re not seeing many Wii U trade-ins. If you want a Wii U, you’d better get one soon.

And no, you can’t have mine, even though every time I turn it on, specks of dust stick to my fingers. It lives in a cluttered living room cabinet between my Switch dock and a thousand wires, a relatively prominent spot for an out-of-date console. It exists for Super Smash Bros. Until Nintendo gets a Switch version of Smash out the door, my Wii U, like others’, won’t see the inside of a used games store.

Wii U disappeared from retail shelves quickly when Switch came along to replace it last March. Nintendo discontinued its production in November, 2016. But as late as November 2017, you could buy a Wii U directly from Nintendo, either on its own online store or via eBay, for $175. These, too, are now depleted, although GameStop and Amazon have many in stock.

Besides Smash, another reason for low supply of Wii U is that it was Nintendo’s worst-selling console. Today, Nintendo announced that the Switch has already outsold it after less than a year on the market. Wii U also came with the unique (if somewhat polarizing) GamePad controller, and Nintendo never sold GamePads by themselves, meaning that if the controller breaks, the whole system is useless.

Ian Ferguson, who works at San Diego games store Luna Games, said he doesn’t see a lot of Wii Us come through his shop. “Wii U trade-ins are not common even after the launch of the Switch,” Ferguson said, and “even after the announcement of certain Wii U games being ported to the Switch.” Marcus Richardson, an employee at New York used games store 8 Bit And Up, said he had not ever seen a Wii U pass through his shop until last week. The console’s owner sold it to make rent after quitting his job, he said.

Kelsey Lewin, co-owner of Seattle game store Pink Gorilla, says says she’s seen significantly fewer Wii Us at the store after the Switch launched than Wiis after the Wii U launched. Because of that, the used consoles’ price hasn’t dropped as quickly as others’, she says: “Customers are surprised to see that the Wii U still sells for $150 [or more].”

There was a time when Wii Us were a little easier to find, right around the 2016 holiday season. Daniel Mastin of Videogamesnewyork said the trade-ins picked up after the launch of Switch: “The initial onset of the realizing the system is completely dead/abandoned by Nintendo is an unusual feeling. It took people time to accept that there would be no more games,” he said.

Videogamesnewyork bought back Wii Us at a faster pace than at any time in the console’s history at the beginning of 2018, he said. But what game sellers across the country agreed on was that when the “failed” consoles, the ones that sold in low numbers in the first place, do hit the market, they don’t stay there for long—hence the fact that they’re gone now.

Even though Wii U wasn’t a great seller, it’s still a Nintendo platform, and therefore it has a great library of games. So it shouldn’t be surprising that many owners haven’t sold theirs yet, and never will. Once Super Smash Bros. is released on Switch, we might see another rush of used Wii Us hit stores as the community trades up to the newest game. But as Wii U ages, it might experience a renaissance amongst those who didn’t even buy it in the first place.
    drew79 and aMarioFan64 like this.

My reaction when I log on to the site:

Hang on to your Wii U's kids. Might be able to make a scrap of cash in a few years.
    WoodenSaucer and aMarioFan64 like this.
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

They discontinued it awhile ago, never sold that well, so the Wii U SHOULD be hard to find.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    I'm running up my credit cards right now in anticipation of all the cash I'll be making off my Wii U in a couple of years.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Overactive Underacheiver megamanultra's Avatar
    Somewhere, out there, in the vast deepness of.......Ohio
    Nintendo NID
    megamanultra
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: megamanultrax
    I wonder what the factory sealed spare in my storage closet will go for?
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #141: Only fools pay retail.
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #3: Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to.

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    I'm running up my credit cards right now in anticipation of all the cash I'll be making off my Wii U in a couple of years.
    Did you ever get that money from the Egyptian prince?
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    Cloud's Wall of Fame:

Quote Originally Posted by jw224
    I haven't been particularly careful when putting it in and I've had no problems. It slides in and finds its way to the middle if you put it in slightly to the side or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae
    it's easy for me to slide in and out unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    Did you ever get that money from the Egyptian prince?
    No, but I did from the Nigerian princess. Turns out it was legit.
    Zeldatrek and drew79 like this.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

No, but I did from the Nigerian princess. Turns out it was legit.
    I knew I was wrong when I said Egyptian, lol. I couldn't remember what it was. Well, share the love!
    WoodenSaucer and drew79 like this.
    Cloud's Wall of Fame:

I haven't been particularly careful when putting it in and I've had no problems. It slides in and finds its way to the middle if you put it in slightly to the side or something.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I called this months ago.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    Mine's still mint and I have all the packaging too.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I just hope my gamepad will never break.
    But I take really good care of it, so it shouldn't be a problem. (Even though, I did break it once and got a replacement gamepad)
    Twitter: MatboksenYT
    Instagram: MatboksenYT

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

In other news, epicU still can't poop.
    Cloud's Wall of Fame:

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    The GP is the key.

It will probably remain on the more expensive side of retro consoles, but I do expect it to follow the general trend of other retro consoles and decrease in price over the next decade before rising after it's been discontinued for ~10-15 years. It'll drop as it's no longer current, its exclusives become available elsewhere and emulation improves/becomes more popular before rising again due to a shrinking supply, collectors becoming more interested as it becomes 'retro' and as people who owned one as kids reach their early adulthood and want to relive their childhood.
    drew79 likes this.

Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jpd0184
    I saw one for $50 AUD on gumtree yesterday.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    It will probably remain on the more expensive side of retro consoles, but I do expect it to follow the general trend of other retro consoles and decrease in price over the next decade before rising after it's been discontinued for ~10-15 years. It'll drop as it's no longer current, its exclusives become available elsewhere and emulation improves/becomes more popular before rising again due to a shrinking supply, collectors becoming more interested as it becomes 'retro' and as people who owned one as kids reach their early adulthood and want to relive their childhood.
    The bad thing about emulating the Wii U is that it will be tough to emulate the games that required the second screen.
    drew79 likes this.

The bad thing about emulating the Wii U is that it will be tough to emulate the games that required the second screen.
    I think that will only be an issue for Wii U emulation on future consoles; it shouldn't be much of an issue on PC. DS emulators have been able to emulate both screens for a long time now and, as far as I'm aware, Cemu does have the ability to emulate the second screen too. I only see it being a potential issue in certain games like Nintendo Land that intend to have each screen viewed only by certain players, but that could be solved by outputting each display to separate monitors (not sure if Cemu has that capability or not).
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    They could make a companion app on smart phones or tablets for the gamepad.

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    They could make a companion app on smart phones or tablets for the gamepad.
    That’s pretty smart.

I think that will only be an issue for Wii U emulation on future consoles; it shouldn't be much of an issue on PC. DS emulators have been able to emulate both screens for a long time now and, as far as I'm aware, Cemu does have the ability to emulate the second screen too. I only see it being a potential issue in certain games like Nintendo Land that intend to have each screen viewed only by certain players, but that could be solved by outputting each display to separate monitors (not sure if Cemu has that capability or not).
    So how does Cemu do it? Are both screens shown on one monitor/TV, or what? That would kind of suck, in my opinion. Does it support motion controls for the 2nd screen?

So how does Cemu do it? Are both screens shown on one monitor/TV, or what? That would kind of suck, in my opinion. Does it support motion controls for the 2nd screen?
    Last I saw, Cemu had the ability to switch between the two outputs, but apparently it now supports simultaneous display in two different windows. So, it should be able to be used on different monitors now too.

It does simulate motion controls with the mouse and people have also used the DualShock 4's motion controls with it.

Last I saw, Cemu had the ability to switch between the two outputs, but apparently it now supports simultaneous display in two different windows. So, it should be able to be used on different monitors now too.

It does simulate motion controls with the mouse and people have also used the DualShock 4's motion controls with it.
    Since none of the Xbox controllers have motion sensors, I guess mouse or DS is the only way to get that. Still, that method of emulation would really suck compared to just playing on an actual Wii U with a GamePad. If they could route that to an Android tablet, it would be cool, but I doubt if they could pull it off without lag.

GLA
    eBay seem pretty well stocked
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jrb363 PSN ID: jrb363 Steam ID: jrb363
    I sold a few consoles once a long time ago...never again.

I will always hold onto my consoles. Even if I have to sell something, I would sell other things before I'd let go of the hardware. It's too nostalgic for me to simply part ways.
    SuperLuigi likes this.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Nintendo NID
    blaisedinsd
    I have 2 Wii U's, although one is at the ex's for the kids. That one I have been told has a bad left stick that can't be pressed in. I have thought about figuring if I could repair it or get a replacement gamepad.

The Wii U is an awesome homebrew console able to play all Nintendo games except switch one but it can play the best switch game Breath of the Wild. It is better than a modded Wii even IMO. You can play gamecube virtual console games on the gamepad...awesome!
    drew79 likes this.
    sw-7087-5868-6390

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    Quote Originally Posted by blaisedinsd View Post
    The Wii U is an awesome homebrew console able to play all Nintendo games except switch one but it can play the best switch game Breath of the Wild.
    You spelled Super Mario Odyssey wrong

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nintendo NID
    blaisedinsd
    Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    You spelled Super Mario Odyssey wrong

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Galaxy > Galaxy 2 > Odyssey

too many korok seeds...errr moons.
    sw-7087-5868-6390

GLA
    Galaxy 3 will happen, I'm sure of it. They'll either give us 1&2 HD to bide time, or else they'll VC them to make it a big surprise.
    drew79 and aMarioFan64 like this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    Quote Originally Posted by GLA View Post
    Galaxy 3 will happen, I'm sure of it. They'll either give us 1&2 HD to bide time, or else they'll VC them to make it a big surprise.
    super mario odyssey 2 is next
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Galaxy > Galaxy 2 > Odyssey

too many korok seeds...errr moons.
    64 > Odyssey > Sunshine > Galaxy games

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

GLA
    A full blown 64 re-make, a Galaxy HD collection and Mario Sunshine HD are my highly realistic wants.

I'd pitch Odyssey as being the best of the bunch, but all of them except Sunshine are blockbusters and all left their contemporary alternatives for dust.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    lelennyfacelel
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: toonlinkofhyrule
    A full blown 64 re-make, a Galaxy HD collection and Mario Sunshine HD are my highly realistic wants.

I'd pitch Odyssey as being the best of the bunch, but all of them except Sunshine are blockbusters and all left their contemporary alternatives for dust.
    I'll be disappointed if we don't get at least Sunshine and Galaxy 1 & 2 remastered. Maybe also 64 remastered, although I feel as if some people would cry about the visual changes.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SuperLuigi View Post
    I'll be disappointed if we don't get at least Sunshine and Galaxy 1 & 2 remastered. Maybe also 64 remastered, although I feel as if some people would cry about the visual changes.
    I really want Sunshine, but I'll take an HD Remaster or a Virtual Console release. I'm good either way, just take my money Nintendo!
    drew79 likes this.
    Cloud's Wall of Fame:

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

I'd be down for a full Odyssey level polish done to Mario 64.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    blaisedinsd
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    I really want Sunshine, but I'll take an HD Remaster or a Virtual Console release. I'm good either way, just take my money Nintendo!
    I have injected my copy of sunshine on to my Wii U with a little home brew magic. Are we not allowed to talk about that? Was even able to copy my GameCube save over for use with it so I didn’t have to start at the beginning since I’ve never beat it. Never beat Mario 64 either. Greatly prefers the structure of the galaxy games.
    drew79 likes this.
    sw-7087-5868-6390

I have injected my copy of sunshine on to my Wii U with a little home brew magic. Are we not allowed to talk about that? Was even able to copy my GameCube save over for use with it so I didn’t have to start at the beginning since I’ve never beat it. Never beat Mario 64 either. Greatly prefers the structure of the galaxy games.
    You can talk about it but you can't tell people how to do it or post any links

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

GLA
    Can we have a members only forum so that people can share how to do all this magical homebrew malarky?
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Can we have a members only forum so that people can share how to do all this magical homebrew malarky?
    It's called Private Messaging.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

with wii u's getting harder to find, you guys shouldve listened to me and bought like 5
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

GLA
    It's called Private Messaging.
    My inbox is full.