Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: When Will You Kill Your Wii U?

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule

When Will You Kill Your Wii U?

Some of us have already gotten rid of our Wii U in favor of the Switch (some of us actually got rid of it way before the Switch was even announced). For the moment, I'm still in the camp that stubbornly refuses to let it go. However, I realized today that there's only a handful of things that need to happen in order for me to be ready to sell the damn thing, and they're all at least relatively likely.

Normally I do not sell game consoles unless I'm in a horrible financial situation because I always regret it later. Usually I keep old consoles after their successor comes out in order to be able to play the old exclusives. However, the Wii U to Switch transition is different; as drew will happily tell you, a sizable chunk of the current Switch library is actually Wii U ports.

This leads me to a somewhat surprising conclusion: if the following three things happen on Switch, I will no longer have a reason to keep the ol' Wii U...

1. Mario Maker port
    2. Virtual Console
    3. Netflix

...that's it. If (when) those three things get announced for Switch, I'm throwing the Wii U on Craigslist.

For those of you that still have your Wii U, what would it take for you to get rid of yours?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

I'm not selling mine. I've got too many games for it that I want to continue playing in the future, Wonderful 101 and the two Zelda iterations among them

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Well, considering I’ve yet to even play my copy of The Wonderful 101, not any time soon.
    cThreep likes this.
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

A whole lotta nothing Ninja Monkey's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    The day it breaks downs.
    Never sold off any of my past systems, probably never will. Too much of an investment, too little of a return and much like wu I got a lot of games for it that I want to be able to play in the future. Even if they were ported over to say Switch I'm still keeping the darn thing
    The Cloud Strife likes this.
    Monkeys are coming =0

3DS FC: 3282 4343 3420
    Switch FC: SW 6458 0633 8794

I sold mine in 2013.
    PSN: jFugs2394

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Since I don't care about Wonderful 101 (though I'd throw down something like $40 for a Switch port with drastically improved controls) and since I'd assume those two Zeldas would be available on the hypothetical Switch virtual console, those wouldn't be reasons to keep the Wii U for me.

I did think of a possible fourth thing: ZombiU port. While I could get the PS4 port, a HUGE reason I love it on Wii U is the tension that looking down and managing your inventory on the gamepad creates. That isn't replicated on the other platforms.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Ours is up in my youngest boy's room. He still plays it. I doubt if I'll ever touch it again.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

I've got about 15 Wii U games and a bunch of Wii games I want to keep. There's no way all of those are going to be ported to Switch. Therefore my Wii U stays. Did you play Wonderful 101 using the touch screen? That... Is why you failed

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Yeah I used the touch screen for awhile until I found out you can use the sticks. It wasn't until after I sold the game that I found out the Pro Controller is supported.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    B-b-but what about ZombiU????

Smash Bros, Zelda HD remakes (I have yet to play), and the Wii BC is why I'm keeping mine. Also, there's a good chance I would like to replay some classics like Captain Toad and SM3DW.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Likewise. Though I did put about 10 minutes into it.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

I have absolutely no plans to sell my Wii U and that wouldn't change even if the entire Wii U library became available on Switch. For one there's no incentive to sell my Wii U collection and repurchase everything for Switch. Even if the Switch was backward compatible with physical Wii U discs, I'd still keep my Wii U much like I still own my PS1 and DS consoles despite their successors supporting virtually all of their games.

I still regularly use my Wii U too, though it's more for video playback on the GamePad than for playing games these days. Whilst I'd still keep my Wii U, I would switch (ha) to the Switch for this purpose because of its higher resolution screen if it ever receives a capable browser.
    Mr_Nick666 and aMarioFan64 like this.

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    I already killed my Wii U. She's buried in the backyard next to my car.

I do regret it though. I thought Mario Maker would be here by now... And it isn't. I really hope we get it soon before I lose my mind. Then again, you can always play that on 3DS now.

I was late to the Wii U party, so I did miss quite a few games. Tropical Freeze being one. Luckily that's coming to Switch, and so are a lot of other Wii U games. I'd be pretty happy if just Mario Maker came, though.

www.mariomansion.com
    Why would I kill my Wii U? Has a lot of great games I enjoyed over the years, and not only that, but it plays the entire Wii library.

What do you get out of killing your Wii U outside of a small amount of cash? No way that's worth it
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

I'm such a console and game hoarder that I will likely keep mine till it dies. I still have a GameCube that gets played with. Then even after it dies through the company I work for I have an opportunity to get another one for cheaper than even GameStop would ask for one.

Gesendet von meinem SAMSUNG-SM-G935A mit Tapatalk

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Why would I do a thing like that? As is, the WiiU has a bunch of games the Switch won’t see for a year or two. Besides that, I have a few hundred VC games.

How’s the Switch VC look?

Oh right.

Plus WiiU can play Wii games. Can Switch do that? It can’t?

Yeah, Switch is s great deal.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Why would you ever sell a console or games?!
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Nintendo NID
    lelennyfacelel
    Unless they create some kind of disk drive for the Switch that allows it to be BC with GC, Wii, and Wii U discs, there's no way I'm selling mine lol. Way to many good games that I'd lose access to, even if I still had the Wii.
    drew79 likes this.

switch FC - 2682-9285-9992

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    BlazeDog
    I'm not gonna sell mine, but it's staying hooked up to the TV until Smash 5. then it can get dusty.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    What about Smash 4 DX? You know it’s coming, and they’ll throw in the squids and charge full price.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Since it will include all the DLC, new characters and both Wii U and 3DS content, it is well worth full price and then some.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Not if you already bought it a few years back. That’s what, $75 down the drain?

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    You have the choice not to buy it, you know?
    I think if you bought both the 3DS and Wii U version + all the DLC, it's way more than $75
    So it would be more affordable to buy the Switch edition with everything included, than to buy everything seperately.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    BlazeDog
    Eh. It it means can play it on the switch on the go, and it has the combined 3DS and Wii U features, then I'm in.

I'd never get rid of it. But like Flaming Fury, mine would get turned on much much less if they release either a Smash 5 that's better then 4 (which would be really hard) or if they made a Smash 4DX
    FlamingFury likes this.
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    What Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS lacked, was a proper story mode.
    I really liked Adventure Mode in Melee, and Subspace Emissary was cool because of all the cutscenes. Didn't care for the last part, where you had to go through the whole world again to find all the characters that had got turned into stone or whatever.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    My little girl still loves making levels on the game designer Mario Maker! That games also good to make training levels for her to hone her skills (running AND jumping alongside turning in the air!).

Personally. I have my entire Wii backcatalogue (literally over one hundred games), a whack of VC, a load of games I still haven't played, homebrew, emulation and most of the Switch's Nintendo offerings!
    drew79 likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    You are a bad Nintendo customer Nick! Rebuy all the old ports for full price! What’s wrong with you? Switch is portable!

FYF!
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

I'd love a decent adventure mode. I don't expect it, but having Cloud/Link, Palutena/Bayonetta, Ryu/Little Mac, and Pacman/Megaman/Sonic/Mario team ups would be frekin amazing.
    FlamingFury likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Why wasn’t that in Smash 4? If you are content with scraps then that’s what you’ll keep getting. And some of these mooks want to double or triple down... my head hurts. I bought Smash 4 once and hoped they would offer the adventure mode later. Didn’t happen.

Smash 4 is a lot of fun. But I think if Nintendo hadn’t split their resources it could have been much better.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Don't know about you, but when I buy a console in the first place, my thought isn't "I sure hope this purchase gets me a great return on investment!" I'd like to find the wierdo that expects to get anywhere near what they paid when selling a console and ask them why their expectations are so whack.

Of course selling isn't worth it on a monetary level. But if you're not gonna use it ever again after a certain point, then recouping a small portion of your initial cost is better than not getting anything for it.

How else am I gonna pay for my drug habit?

What does FYF mean to you?

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Fix your face, handsome! Turn that frown upside down!
    Mr_Nick666 and aMarioFan64 like this.

www.mariomansion.com
    I'm all about that ROI. I got well over 2000 hours of play time on the Wii U and some very quality time with roommates/my wife playing it. I certainly got my money's worth with the Wii U. I'm just not the sort of person that wants to "recoup" the cost of something I really enjoy. If I loved a game or system, I don't sell it or throw it in the trash. I make sure it sticks around so I can play it with my kids

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Right there with you. The Wii U is different though; everything I enjoy about it either is already available elsewhere or is likely about to be.

www.mariomansion.com
    Apparently we just enjoyed very different things on the Wii U then

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I’m with you on that. I regret selling/giving away my old gaming stuff, even though It’s impractical to keep it around. I’m keeping my Wii, WiiU, and Dreamcast until the wheels fall off, then I’ll chuck them at people who deserve comeuppance.

If someone threw a console at my head I’d be so weirded out I wouldn’t know how to process it.
    DeliciousMalk likes this.

I'm all for keeping things that either have sentimental value, or I am still enjoying. But I'm the opposite of a pack rat. If I'm never going to use something again, it's outta here. The Wii U, I'm never going to touch it again. My son is still getting some use, though. When that ends, it will probably be shipped over to my parents' house to give them something to do over there.
    drew79 likes this.

www.mariomansion.com
    Yeah I walk a weird line. My wife still thinks it is bizarre. If I have no need for it, I will throw it away. EXCEPT game systems/games. I will keep those forever.

I think it's because I've seen how valuable some of my old stuff is now. That, and I guess I get some sort of emotional connection with games and consoles. Heck, I brought in my old gameboy advance sp and showed it to the cub scouts troop I work with and they were all enthralled. Old game consoles are fun

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Old game consoles are fun, I agree. I like learning the history, the ups and downs, whatever, of any console.

Something my nephews have done is they goof on me for not having a PS4, but when they play... I dunno, SMB3 they are terrible at it but enthralled nonetheless. The old games are engaging because of the challenge IMO.

If you just win, what’s the damn point? A good game is always good, despite graphics or whatever.
    DeliciousMalk likes this.

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    Probably never. THere are still some games my wife and I play on there from time to time. Even after that I will probably keep it. I rarely get rid of my old consoles. Still have my SNES, N64, XBOX 360, PS2, Wii U. I got rid of my Wii and gave it to my sister in law because the Wii U was compatible. I regret loaning my GameCube to friend so his daughter could play it back in the day because she did not take care of it and broke it.
    drew79 and FlamingFury like this.
    I brought the Awesome. What did you bring?

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    NintendoID (Wii U) - bobiroc
    XBLive GamerTag - bobiroc
    SteamID - bobiroc
    3DS Friend Code - 1134-7717-4295
    Super Mario Run Player ID - 7352-6985-2096
    Anyone sensing a pattern here?

It may sound weird but I am a one console person.

Meaning if I have more than one console, chances are I will sell the other.

I had a PS2, got a Wii U, and sold the PS2.

I then got a PS3, and sold the Wii U

Just a couple months ago, I got the PS4, and sold the PS3.

Idk, I don't like neglecting stuff I own and would much rather give it to someone else who would use it than to have it sit and collect dust on my shelf.
    PSN: jFugs2394

I said I'd love a decent adventure mode. I don't demand one. Even with Subspace Smash 4 is about 100x better then Brawl to me. The game itself is just that much better. In no way is Smash 4 scraps to me. I've actually stopped and wondered how Nintendo could ever top Smash 4. The roster and balancing is just so outstanding. I feel like there's no way they'd ever be able to reassemble that cast again.
    FlamingFury likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    How you feel about Smash 4 is how I feel about Melee.

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    I feel you. I have all three consoles, but it's difficult spreading the love around.
    drew79 and jFug like this.

And there's a lot of people who agree with you, but at least we can agree that Brawl is Doo doo
    FlamingFury and aMarioFan64 like this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Word

Actually I was gonna say adding a Melee mode to Smash 4DX would be neat. But I get the feeling the competitive scene would find a reason to not like it. Lol

One of the things I love most about PC gaming is that console generations can come and go, and for the most part, I can still play all my games on my PC. If I upgrade the hardware, I can still play my same games, plus new ones. I don't have to have a Christmas tree stack of consoles on my entertainment center to play them all.
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast