Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bspazzy
  • 1 Post By Glacier

Thread: The Wii U's legacy

The Wii U's legacy

Hey guys since the Wii U is in its twilit years I deemed it fit for a recap on its legacy but more specifically to nail down the concrete style and overall appeal of the Wii U, a largely unknown and misunderstood console. Feel free to chime in because this is not definitive just a general look at everything. For comparisons sake I'll briefly describe the older Nintendo console. This will apply to the games, genres, controller and whatever else you wanna add.

NES and SNES were out in a time when things were different. To me, their style was competitive technology with afforble hardware and developer friendly architecture. This could be referred to as the golden age of Nintendo both in popularity with gamers and developers but also a successful business venture all around. Not much I could add here myself.

The Nintendo 64 had to mix things up. The style for N64 was definitely an emphasis on MULTIPLAYER. By having four controller ports it was the only system with out of the box 4 player gameplay until the 6th gen kicked off with the Dreamcast. Games like Goldneye 007 really banked on his concept but this multiplayer emphasis can be felt in many many more games. It was a concept that 3rd parties wanted to be a part of and incorporate into their games but didn't have to feel pressured to. To this day, local multiplayer is a more common trait on N64 games than any console since.

The GameCube to me, was the last of its kind as a true video game console with only video game capabilities. Its toylike visual aesthetic makes this a little more clear. The GameCube didn't have DVD or CD playback despite its competition adopting a more multi-media machine approach. In this way the Dreamcast shares this style somewhat. Even since the Wii, Nintendo has adopted streaming media like Netflix and included online out of the box for more games despite having a staunch view on online gaming with "gamers do not want to play games online" throughout the Gcube's lifetime.

The Wii was necessary for Nintendo to make some money but this console's style was overall the least appealing to me in retrospect. This was the console that Nintendo used to appeal to the "blue oceans" of consumer who were not gamers before the Wii. With motion gaming being Nintendo's first real "gimmick" in my eyes this very young technology was shoehorned into games that did not need them like Metal Slug Anthology..I mean really? This is also the first home console that didn't have tech that was competitive. This approach started the trend of people thinking that Nintendo has weak hardware.

Now to the real real meat and potatoes. The Wii U from the start seemed to be Iwata-san trying to appeal "directly to U" the hardcore gamer who wasn't catered toward AS MUCH during the Wii era(I love a lot of Wii games) Off-TV play is a less intrusive idea and didn't ruin games by having this feature which is the sole reason Twilight Princess is better on GameCube. Waggle anyone? The Wii U just has this edgier style to me with the first modern Ninja Gaiden game on a Nintendo platform, the first M rated Fatal Frame, a respectable hack N' slash lineup, the Nintendo published mature games like Devil's Third and Bayonetta 1 & 2. Japan got a Yakuza HD collection too. The Wii era including Wii U should be noted as appealing to Japanese gamers both in form factor and available genres more than GameCube and Nintendo 64 did which largely survived on American audiences and had genres that appealed there(racing, First person shooter etc). The Wii U kept the JRPG style from the Wii with less being localized this time around and more hack N' slash games than on any Nintendo system yet rivaling the awesome niche Vita which is largely a Japanese genre.

Whoo thanks for hanging in there with me, and I would love to know everyone's unique take on this analysis.
    Thanks - bspazzy
    drew79 likes this.

IMG_1525.jpg
    Gonna give you guys some eye candy while you read this huge wall of text
    IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    My most played console ever, but also has the least amount of 9+/10 games of any console ever. The Wii U is weird.

Can't argue with ya there my friend. It goes without saying my love for the Wii U but I largely agree with you.
    Like, I think the GameCube had better 3rd party support than the 64 but without Rareware's impeccable lineup and slightly less masterpieces from Nintendo themselves leaves an impression on me. The 64 had the most 10/10 or 9/10 games for me but consoles like the SNES and NES are roughly to same to me still. The Wii U to me just has an appeal I can't nail down. Like the Japanese focused niche GameCube in a way by still not adopting many multimedia functions of the competition. It is a weird system. Like dreamcast with seaman.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    I think SNES is Nintendo's best home console because they were ahead of the competition in every way except for clockspeed
    bspazzy likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Ya there's only a few 10/10 games for me.

Ocarina of Time
    Metroid Prime
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Super Mario World
    Perfect Dark
    A Link to the Past

The only 10/10 game on Wii U for me is Mario Maker, and that's because of the insane amount of creative stimulation it offers and not necessarily because of the game itself.

So the SNES and N64 have the most perfect games.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I thought Super Mario Maker and Ultra Smash were sort of missed opportunities. I was very convinced that following the Splatoon model, Nintendo would continue to support those games with regular updates to keep the games fresh. And they never did. That to me was so weird. Obviously Nintendo was having issues producing content; small updates seemed like a good fit.

It does kind of bother me that apparently 75% of the WIIU games will be ported; it kind of feels like Nintendo wasted my time while they worked on something new with better mass appeal. But still, I really like the WIIU overall.

I thought NES Remix was very cool. I don't see that game get a lot of love, so just thought I'd mention it. Dr. Luigi was neat also.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    A great console full of missed opportunities. Also the console that has made me turn my back on Nintendo. They may woo me in the future but it's going to take something special.

STEAM FTW

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    1. They kind of gave MM the Splatoon treatment, just with not as many updates.

2. It's more like 68%.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I get that. But seeing the massive DLC MK8 and Hyrule Warriors got, it seemed like Nintendo might set a trend of dripping content, which I am actually okay with. What if SMM got a huge update with SMB2 content? That's huge! Adding a bouncy donut- not so much.

With Ultra Smash, that's a pretty game. I don't have it but do want to buy it. Every review has said it's very bare bones and for me that means I'll buy it used. What if every couple of weeks Nintendo added a new court, a new character, whatever? They could have completely changed the perception of that game, but chose not to.

Camelot has a very strong track record, so what happened? My guess is Nintendo only gave them so much money and then cut them off. I think they were already diverting resources to the Switch and couldn't be bothered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk