Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Revisit.

GLA
    Deadly Creatures is on my list of to-gets. Well, not so much list as my eBay and Amazon basket contents.
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge
    now I wanna play MadWorld just to hear Bender commentate me again.
    drew79 likes this.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Drew revisited his ancient thread.
    cThreep likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    At this point my currently playing and backlog are pretty much the same thing, Woody.

Something I wanted to mention about Deadly Creatures: it has a story, Hollywood voice actors, and yet they don't beat you over the head with the story or tutorials, which I really appreciate. If you get lost, tap the "2" button and a silver arrow appears to show you where to go. They respect the fact that I'm playing a game for fun, and that is very cool IMO.

And the grubs act as both a collectible AND as a marker to where you have been. Very good game, even though the motion controls could be better and I consider QTE to be BS, they generally work in this game.
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge
    deadly creatures, is that the one where you are the bugs?

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Yes. You play as a tarantula and as a scorpion in alternating levels. The scorpion and tarantula are actually fighting each other. Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper do voice work in the game, in a plot about a murder and hidden money. It's very good IMO, certainly different. I'm impressed with how well it holds up. Definitely worth a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    I've been replaying some stuff. Sorry if this is considered a necrobump, but threads and new topics here seem to move slower than they did in the past so I figured firing up some conversation on some gaming oldies might not be a bad thing!

Here's a sampler:

Donkey Kong Country (SNES):

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES):

Smart Ball (SNES):

Spyro the Dragon (PS1):

Tiny Tank (PS1):

Ape Escape (PS1):

Crash Bandicoot (PS1):

Bubsy 3D (PS1):

Monster Rancher (PS1):

Slamscape (PS1):

Treasures of the Deep (PS1):

Ace Combat (PS1):

Armored Core (PS1):

About to jump into:

Digimon World (PS1)
    Jade Cocoon (PS1)
    Grandia (PS1)
    Tomb Raider (PS1)
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS1)
    Shipwreckers! (PS1)
    Soviet Strike (PS1)
    Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

amongst others that have slipped my mind

And if this thread isn't super dead and unsalvageable next time I feel like posting, I'll try to make sure every game title also has a link to some gameplay vids or trailers so y'all can get a feel for them.
    Last edited by Yerba_Sutra; 01-17-2017 at 03:08 AM.
    Darth Praxis and FlamingFury like this.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Been a little while sir! Welcome back.....NECRO-BUMPER!!!!

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    Dang, less than one day back and I already got the boot!
    Darth Praxis and drew79 like this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Ban him
    Yerba_Sutra likes this.
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13

Welcome back dude! The reason I started this thread is I got frustrated at how one game is hot for two weeks and then you never hear about it again. Especially someone like myself it's not uncommon for me to pop a game in I played halfway through and got distracted. It's a good way to tune people in to good games that they might have missed.

I won't address every game you listed, I haven't played some of them, but the PS1 was a great console, wasn't it? A good chunk of the appeal of Monster Rancher was popping in every CD you could find and seeing what it spawned. There are special monsters you can only spawn from a specific CD. The Clash album Combat Rock for example gives you a special worm named Tank. The game is also time based, so certain events only occur after playing for 82 weeks or whatever. The sequel is arguably better, but the first one holds up pretty well IMO. Try to get the Magic breed of monster, and try to get the Sketch breed. The Pokemon comparisons are inevitable, but I think MH is it's own thing. Tails Doll is a big fan as well.

I loved Spyro and Ape Escape and Ace Combat as well. A PS game nobody talks about is Critical Depth, which is basically Twisted Metal underwater. Worth a look.
    Yerba_Sutra likes this.

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    Hey thanks!

I love picking up games I played as a kid or stuff I hadn't touched in a while, and talking about it with others and sharing those experiences. I need to get back on XenoCross when I'm done recording this album, I put 120 hours into it the two weeks after it came out and had to drop it to focus on business stuff. Super excited for that and actually if you wanna check it out (very light sidequest dialogue spoilers but shouldn't have anything that will ruin your own playthrough). Will be updating this when I start playing again because part of the fun I have when I'm grinding my characters is dressing them up in cool outfits and posing them around the world. :P

The PS1 was an outstanding console, and I honestly spent far more time with it than the N64. Didn't help that I was getting Official PlayStation Magazine demo CDs every month! I did notice that Monster Rancher has a focus on switching out discs to find new monsters, and maybe that will put a damper on my enjoyment of it because full disclosure: I'm using an emulator. It's a super cool thing to implement, though! I don't actually think it's all that much like Pokémon, if anything Pokémon is kinda getting more like MR through implementing stuff like Amie to more easily tweak stats and such. When I pick it back up again I'll send you or Tails Doll up about it to make sure I'm approaching it on its own terms. Or do you think the sequel would be a better starting point for me?

I just realized I got a few more PS1 games I've been playing through (I am a super multitasker), so I might have some more to talk about soon!
    Last edited by Yerba_Sutra; 01-19-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    drew79 likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    RESURRECTION!

Anyhow, SEGA and Sonic Racing is just fantastic. I already liked it, but I popped it in a few days ago and was just astounded at how good this game really is. There is tons to do, lots of tracks, characters, challenges, all kinds of stuff. Even if you aren't a SEGA fan, it's a great racing game.

There is so much content it's actually a bit staggering. A big plus for me is that a lot of the content is locked until you earn enough stars to unlock said content. Personally, I love that approach! MK8 is a great game but it gave up all the goods way too soon. Or buy it as DLC. With SEGA and Sonic Racing it's all there, on disc, no extra charge. All you have to do is earn it. Plus it has stickers/achievements, mirror tracks, all kinds of things.

I'm glad I started playing it again, even if I think the first game had better tracks.

It's on multiple platforms and probably is cheap, so if you see a copy, I 'd encourage you to pick it up.
    cThreep and jpd01 like this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I'm playing through Super Mario 3D World with a friend, and I find it better now than when I initially played it.
    drew79 likes this.
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Been playing through Super Mario 64 DS lately. Still one of my favorite DS games.
    DeliciousMalk likes this.
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

www.mariomansion.com
    I still remember picking up my launch-day Nintendo DS with that game. Euphoria, man. I played that game so much. It was such a good time.

I had no more money for quite a while after that, so I 100%'d that game and played the crap out of that metroid prime hunters demo
    drew79 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousMalk View Post
    I only get on here so I can argue with woody and watch drew trigger people

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    i revisted this thread
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Well one of my old faves is Paper Mario 64 ! One of the first Mario games that I played and me and my bros LOVED it ! We loved adventuring, the puzzles, the music, the bosses but most importantly the partners ;D ! Helping them, then finding out more about them and then they finally joining your journey was awesome . I also loved that they weren't flat characters but instead all had quirks and different personalities ! Nintendo really needs to make the Paper Mario games like they used to be used to be. .... I'm looking at You Paper Mario Color Splash -.- !
    drew79 and aMarioFan64 like this.
    "I don't always watch TV... but when I do I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ;D " Stay pony my friends ! Quote of the day from Princess : Keep Calm.... I'm Back ! Quote: “I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”
    ― Herbert Bayard Swope

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Princess brings some sass

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sir Donkus of Puncherelus heimbachae's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    i lent my wii u to a friend months ago, so.... no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    inquire within

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I fired up Wii Play recently and had a lot of fun with it. Very solid and underrated. Having to unlock all the modes is a bit of a pain though. If you haven't played it recently, maybe it's worth another look?

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    My daughter and I still rock Wii Play! Wii Sports is still a big favourite too. The Wii really was a console for generations.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Started playing Fire Red/Leaf Green again.
    It's a lot fun when you do a randomizer, so you could like get a freakin Mewtwo in the grass, or like a Jynx as a starter.
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I had more fun than expected, that's for sure. The pool game and tanks are my favorite, the matching ones not so much. And yes Wii Sports/Resort does hold up rather well, don't they? I hadn't played any of the early motion games in awhile, but they generally hold up remarkably well, but in all fairness they are very simple concepts.

I think where motion controls went awry is when they complicated things. If you can use a button and it's 100% reliable vs a waggle that works 80%, well, that shouldn't even be a question. I really should track down another copy of Wii Play Motion one of these days. I thought it was generally decent and almost certainly worth the $3 it likely costs.

Motion controls weren't a total wash after all. And it's nice that you and your daughter can game together. Very cool! That's a good dad.
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    played some contra
    drew79 likes this.
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    SEGA All Star Tennis, new save file. As I recall the motion controls worked fine, but I played it holding the remote sideways. You lose some finesse that way though. A big chunk of the game is locked, with only 3-4 courts and about 8 characters available. The modes are limited too until you unlock them, and that's just the way I like it.

If you are the impatient type you could probably blaze through and unlock everything in an afternoon of dedicated play, but I like playing sports games in short bursts, and that definitely works here. I played two full matches, unlocked a new character from Space Channel 5, unlocked a new mode and something else all in about 10 minutes. So it's bite sized and rewarding at the same time.

I played as Beat from Jet Set Radio with Nights as my partner. Nights may dress like Prince, but he's a beast on the court.

Then we went inside the pro shop and had pancakes.

Was playing some Powerstone 2 today while my daughter was doing some ice skating thing.

Games holds up so well, great fun.
    drew79 likes this.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I've heard great things about those games! This is exactly why I started this thread, actually. I have a huge backlog of games I put some time into, but not a lot, and it's nice to go back and sort of re-appreciate them. I think a lot of us have a backlog, and I get tired or hearing about 1 game exclusively for a month and then it just disappears, you know?

I've been replaying the Wii a lot lately and Pandora's Tower remains solid. It's a great game I might never finish, and that's all right. Every part of it works extremely well, although the relationship parts can be a bit of a drag. The story is great and original, as are most of the characters, the premise is neat and a bit gross, it's like if LoZ decided to do something new for a change. I will say I prefer the Wii remote and nunchuck.

Of the "Rainfall Trilogy" I admit that The Last Story and Xenoblade are better games, but PT is simply more fun IMO.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Disney Infinity 3. I'm playing the first Star Wars movie, canonically. I guess my skills must have atrophied because I keep dying. The combat actually has some depth to it. I play mostly as Ben Kenobi, but sometimes to Anakin or Yoda or the weird chick with orange skin. Ben is the character I've leveled up the most, and I've bumped him up the skill tree quite a bit.

It's neat that you can unlock other characters from the same universe. I recently unlocked Luke, Darth Vader and Chewbacca in rapid succession. No Mace Windu though. And how cool would it be to play as say Jack Sparrow or the Hulk on Tatooine? Good times, but a missed opportunity in many ways.

Nintendo NID
    Herox95
    Pokémon Yellow.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Monster Rancher is better.

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Same.

It was a while before I could get any other games as well. I remember thinking how realistic the Metroid Prime demo looked at the time and thinking 'the PSP is DOA'.

(I was wrong as the PSP actually got a lot more playtime for me than the DS when they were both current systems. Now though? DS all day long! )
    drew79 and aMarioFan64 like this.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    The DS is pretty cool. I'm still collecting games for that system, and some are outlandishly priced.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Dynamite Headdy is much better than I remember. The theater theme is interesting and done well. Solid game overall, and one I didn't appreciate back in the day when I bought it in a bargain bin.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    XCX. There is a lot there. Is there a way to make the text bigger?

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    I'd really like to replay both Mario Galaxies, Paper Mario TTYD, and Super Mario RPG at some point. But as you can probably guess, my Wii U is currently not hooked up to my TV, and I've already got plenty of other games to play between my retro collection, my Switch, and my XBox One.
    drew79 likes this.
    PM me if you add me!

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Popped in Pikmin 3 again. The GP is terrible for this game. The pro controller is much better. For some reason I couldn't get the Wii Remote Nunchuck set up to work properly, probably due to the sensor bar or something. Anyways, it seems a bunch of DLC came out for it that I was unaware of or forgot about. It's all party mode stuff, but that's something I really enjoy so that was just fine. A very nice surprise and of course the game holds up well even if it's a few years old.

Pikmin 3 found a nice middle ground between the hard time limit of 1 and the sort of nerfed part 2. Good game I highly recommend.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    I hear ya. Pikmin 3 is a pretty good game, and will likely be referred to as a "hidden gem" on the Wii U a few years from now.

Hopefully Pikmin 4/World will be Miyamoto's magnum opus.
    PM me if you add me!

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    The WiiU didn't have enough games to have hidden gems.
    Ninja Monkey likes this.

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Yeah, the console itself is a hidden gem.
    drew79 and Ninja Monkey like this.
    PM me if you add me!

A whole lotta nothing Ninja Monkey's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Not entirely incorrect, not entirely correct either
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    Monkeys are coming =0

3DS FC: 3282 4343 3420
    Switch FC: SW 6458 0633 8794

Wonderful 101 says hello

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    drew79 likes this.
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    I thought I already argued in its favor
    I'd argue that there's a few more than that

Personally I'd maybe consider Fatal Frame:V one.. among a few others
    Last edited by Ninja Monkey; 09-29-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo derp
    Monkeys are coming =0

I was agreeing with you. Pretty much every good game on the Wii U is a hidden gem due to the install base, I'd say

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Oooooh!..
    I interpreted it completely differently xD
    But yes, I concur
    wu_wei_lion and aMarioFan64 like this.
    Monkeys are coming =0

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13

"Concur?" Is that Swedish?

I heard you guys have 81 different words for meatball.

Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    I'm pretty sure it's an english word...
    "be of the same opinion; agree"

And no I'm sorry to tell you we do not.. at least to my knowledge
    Monkeys are coming =0

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    That was sort of a joke. Apparently the Inuit/Eskimos have dozens of words for snow.

Anyways, Pikmin 3. I used to have the first 2 on GC and thought the controls were great. I bought (and overpaid) for the NPC versions on Wii and thought the controls were very good, in some ways better.

I reset my WiiU and remote and while the controls aren't quite as good as I remember them, they are still pretty accurate. I'm relearning the game mechanics and the abilities. The bonus modes have very different goals fundamentally. Instead of playing the long game and trying to survive, it's more of a cash grab, to get as much loot as quickly as possible. Interesting, like the boss rush or bingo battle modes.

The DLC isn't free as I recall, or at least some of it wasn't but it was priced pretty cheap at around $2-3 bucks each. I remember the game was criticized for being too short, and while that's probably fair, the other modes have a lot of replay.

If this was ported to Switch for say $20 I might rebuy it. Even better would be a collection for say $40.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Yeah I got that it meant as a joke, I just didn't know how to respond to it

Moving on I still haven't played my copy of Pickmin 3.. despite owning it since forever.
    I've only played some of its multiplayer offerings really..
    But I do remember that the DLC indeed wasn't handed out for free
    drew79 likes this.
    Monkeys are coming =0

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Nobody knows how to respond to Drew.
    Ninja Monkey and aMarioFan64 like this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast