Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree383Likes

Thread: Super Mario Maker: Share Your Creations

Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge
    0EC5-0000-0074-0421

"Mariod. First Lava Quake" Is my first attempt at Metroid 2 Return of samus. I started to run out of pieces to put on the board. I should try something else next time, but if anyone would like to give me feedback on it, I would be very thankful.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    There's three 1-ups hidden in this stage.
    The stage itself is pretty easy.

The Jungle
    F56E-0000-0077-91AE
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

I would also appreciate some feedback too

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Got a chance to play these levels. Here are some thoughts:

Underground Remix - I actually thought you did some cool things with this one, only it seemed like it wasn't fully fleshed out. I liked the subtle hint to get to the secret coin area, I actually really enjoy those sort types of queues. I just wish you made the level last longer - I was really getting into it and then it just stopped...I liked the mix of simple platforming along with chucking shells to kill enemies. Had the level lasted longer, I would have said it was a perfect World 1 type of level. That's one thing I've been focusing on lately - getting a good mix of higher tension platforming mechanics, but breaking it up with some fun, like killing a bunch of enemies or a star run...something like that.

Bounce Jump Athletics - I gave you a star with this one. I have played several levels that you simply jump on enemies to continue on, so that wasn't new to me at this point. What I did really like was your element with the pipe. At first I thought I screwed something up, but then something happened and I was left thinking, 'wow, that's pretty clever'. Cool stuff.

The Piranha Spiny Storm - This one was actually pretty fun. I really enjoyed slinging fire at all the enemies, along with the tension of having to find that next cloud. The issue I had was the fact that you could get hit 3 times (fire, big, little mario) and that allowed you to have extended periods of invincibility. This sort of trivialized a lot of the level since you could just muscle your way through. Perhaps reducing the number of enemies and only having mushrooms instead of fire flowers would make the level a little more challenging, while keeping the same level flavor.

Good start though, Gabe. Keep it up!
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Couple things about this one. I was able to 'break' the level a couple of times. I crouch jumped into an area where you have to be 'small' as fire mario (ie - big) and fell into a spot that I couldn't get out of. It was right before the little boss battle. I basically was stuck so I had to restart the level. I also jumped passed the ending flagpole to grab some of those coins and decided to drop down to see if there were other secrets back there. Turns out there wasn't and I was once again stuck. Just a general issue that you should try to keep in mind for future levels - always have a way to get out of a hole/trap!

Otherwise, I thought the level had a lot of different ways to go and I enjoyed exploring the various options - I especially liked getting the mystery mushroom after killing the boss. I had never seen that costume before!

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Yo Rug have you had a chance to play my newest few?

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse

Western Air Temple - 729E-0000-0078-F187 [3-Up] [99 Coins]

Another Avatar level, this time you must explore the Western Air Temple. The buildings hang from the ceiling! Watch out, though...Sparky Sparky Boom Man is tracking you!
    Immallama and Ainz Ooal Gown like this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    I'll try them tomorrow - I completely lost track of time making my new level.

Dragonrider of Nintendo Draco Breach's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    DracoBreach
    I'll try updating the list again on Tuesday. I wasn't able to do much over the weekend. I barely had time to step aside and record a video for my current LP =/

Monday probably won't be a good day especially as I have to look closely at what did and did not update before the servers decided to conk out. Regardless, there looks to be some interesting stages to play around in!

The Supreme Being Ainz Ooal Gown's Avatar
    Will definitely try this, on a aide note I just finished my level 'The Drill' (not uploaded yet) which is slightly different from what the TV series depicts but Avatar based of course....
    Darth Praxis and Rugmouse like this.
    I am Ainz Ooal Gown. With that name at stake, there can be no defeat.

Have you seen fort hammer and storming the magifleet? I will also consider editing underground remix. Part of the reason it was short was because I just go the game and didn't have much to work with at the time
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge
    Thanks Rug. Did not think of that when I was putting it together, I was thinking only small people would go into those. and I did mess up the end pole... I think i saw that one after I posted and did the same thing.
    Darth Praxis and Rugmouse like this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    It's an easy mistake to make, and it is all a part of the process. As you design more levels, you'll really start to get a feel for how players attempt to play your level. Just looking at the red X's where people have died is actually very helpful in that regard. Like I said, apart from those two areas, I enjoyed the level a great deal.

I haven't yet, but I'll get to them sometime soon. Perhaps even tonight - since I went hard in the paint last night finishing up my latest course, I'm sure I'll take a night off to just relax and play some levels.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Whoa - Zyro played another one of my levels last Friday (didn't catch the stream live, unfortunately). He actually made me laugh quite a few times while playing through it. He missed a few of the secrets, and he clearly doesn't understand the thematic importance of the 'fire benders' at the beginning, but I'm happy to see my 1-up chase fools a few people =D

My level starts right around the 27:15 mark or so. I tried to link the vid at the correct time, but just in case.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    I'd like to take a second and thank Rungmouse for his exepmlary contribution not simply to this forum through his great attitude and keen wit, but also for his compassion and interest in serving our community as he has done in the past as well as in this specific thread!

Your doing good work here sir! Thank you!

Rugmouse and SpareChnge like this.

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Don't go suckin' up to me now. You know it's not going to make a lick of difference when it comes to me 'critiquing' your courses.

Last edited by Rugmouse; 09-28-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Oh go blow it out your ASS!!!!

Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    the fight is on :O
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    playerbg247
    I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this game is so damn lame its a shame, smdh...They should of called it Mario Breaker,cause this aint what Mario used to be.. I mean I actually played this game and said wtf, damn near every level hits me with stupidity and I can't stand it whatsoever. I don't believe that this game should have ever been released with over a million people making unbelievably ridiculous, pointless levels is insane. The essence of the game is not even there, its just stupid, no direction, no story, etc. Playing remade levels from the 80s is not all that appeasing either. I just do not see why everyone is so caked up over this game, it is bs and I rather have a Mario game from the true developers. Just my opinion, but that is what blogsites are for...

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    Great... You don't like a game that many other people seem to be enjoying very much.. Welcome to a world of different people...

The great thing is you can simply not play it and move on with your life. I don't understand why you felt to come to a thread where others are sharing levels made in a game and discussing them just to be an ass. I guess that is what the internet is about these days huh.
    I brought the Awesome. What did you bring?

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    NintendoID (Wii U) - bobiroc
    XBLive GamerTag - bobiroc
    SteamID - bobiroc
    3DS Friend Code - 1134-7717-4295
    Super Mario Run Player ID - 7352-6985-2096
    Anyone sensing a pattern here?

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Well, at least you're not being like Skyward...
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Nintendo NID
    DracoBreach
    I hate to burst your bubble, but it's obvious you haven't even attempted playing this game

There's no need to insult over a million people who have played and loved the game =/

Nintendo NID
    playerbg247
    Tf is u saying, I went and bought the game and gave u my damn opinion.. The title of this thread says share your creations and to me this game created a dissatisfaction that I chose to speak about, deal with it. Make ur mind realize that I am not being an ass and go get sum. And just to let u know the internet is all about mind trafficking to get ur thoughts caught up in a network, lose urself. If u knew, I am actually kind of creative but for the time being all the wacky courses have deterred me and I have yet to make a level yet. Guess I'll go kick rocks, until I make my mind up...Mario Make A Man Go Crazy!!!

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    What did you expect from a game where a million amateur level designers (and amateur is being used loosely here) create levels? There is so much to think about when it comes to true game design - it's pretty obvious that there are going to be significant flaws with almost every course out there.

That's why this thread is so important. People come in here, post their levels and other players offer feedback. I've also found that subsequent courses are the better for it. If you don't enjoy playing levels, finding elements you enjoy, and turning them into inspiration for your own designs, Mario Maker was never for you. I absolutely love playing through other courses and learning a thing or two as to what is fun and what is not. It's quite rare that I enjoy an entire course, but that helps me discover what I don't like as well - and this very likely means that others won't like it as well.

I know I've gotten great feedback here, and I'm hopeful that my comments have helped others as well. This is literally the best thread we've had on these forums for the better part of 6 months. I can't say that I really appreciate the condescension either. While it is completely okay to find a game unenjoyable, I don't really understand what sort of reaction you were expecting to get from a group of avid fans of the game.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    DracoBreach
    Should I apologize that you haven't tried some pretty darned creative stages like Death's Land of the Livid Dead (one of my favorites thus far despite not beating it), then? GameXplain's Super Shmup Bros can't be called a remake of any stages from the 80s.

Then there are people who come up with creative theming to tell a story, like Rugmouse and CEO's recent Avatar stages.

Not everybody's going to like any given game. I hate Little Big Planet (LBP), but I don't go into threads about LBP to blast people's opinions of it. Not because it's "mind trafficking". It's just plain rude, and I wouldn't do it in real life.

People only troll and insult because they are chained by the internet. Once unchained, they become timid and back down.

Now again, you haven't attempted playing the game. It's fairly obvious. Sure, you may have gone into the course world and formed an immediate opinion based on x number of levels, but you didn't try playing around with the search settings or really explored the myriad of available levels.

I've logged several hundred courses. Some are good. A lot are bad. A few are plain amazing. Several are creative. Oh, I should really mention that a lot are bad.

How do I label mine? I'm conceited enough to have an artistic flair and say they are experimental at best. I'm not satisfied with my levels, especially after I play some of the creations on the list I've [attempted] to keep up-to-date.

Is Super Mario Maker among the best titles ever? I don't think so. It's certainly the best level creator I've ever played. It is clever and endearing. Is it perfect? No. There are some tools I'd love to mess around with.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    @RM I could not agree more. SMM is a game in only a certain sense. Many user submitted levels are absolute crap. But for me it demonstrates how Nintendo makes it looks easy. That's a master artist at work there, to make it seem natural, to make it look like a matter of course. Designing playable levels is actually pretty difficult.

My goal is to make beatable levels and throw a few twists in there along the way. If I can think of a new idea or nuances to toss in, I'll try it out, but not to the gimmick point. My levels certainly aren't great, but I'm learning and growing and gaining a better appreciation for what Nintendo actually does. It's harder than it looks, even with all the tools available. It takes work and experience and curiosity.

Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    After Draco updates the list I'd appreciate some feedback on my levels

Popular Member Certified Skyward Sword's Avatar
    Too much water
    7.8/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Skyward1988
    NIN ID: Vanskez88

https://www.twitter.com/HeroOfTime88

Quote Originally Posted by Junichi View Post
    Skyward Sword is one of the coolest posters on here and he's down right hilarious. He's like a rebel, that follows his own way. Don't care about popular opinion or try to jump on the what's trendy bandwagon. He stands on his own and not afraid to show it. I salute. Much respect for that.

Banned
    its way different then i thought it would be, thats all im saying tho

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I'd agree with that, Siru. I'm not sure if it's a good game, but I'm having fun with it. It seems to be one of those things where your enjoyment seems to reflect how much work you are willing to put in. I'll be playing a level and actually be thinking about how it's constructed and how it could be tweaked or improved or what elements work and what don't. It's a deconstruction exercise. Something I'm trying is utility; that is, to do more with less.

That said, introducing elements like the chain link fences from SMW or the floating water pockets from NSMB would certainly be welcome.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Underground remix V2 is uploaded now. My next stage Wing Fortress zone
    Rugmouse likes this.

Deleted courses:

Overgrown Sewer
    Super Smash Bros

New courses:

The Drill: 50B2-0000-007C-99AC

This level primarily encompasses bombs, to get to the next area and "stop the drill" from working, to be honest I wanted to do more with this and I wish there were certain other elements added to the game but I made do with what I had.

The Boiling Rock: DEED-0000-007C-9ADA

I had to take some liberties with the gondola scene but I think it went well. Power ups and 1-Up's to find as well as certain aesthetic elements from the show itself.
    Rugmouse likes this.

I like this level, ended up downloading it to explore it more. I like how you used the shells as boomerangs for Combustion Man, perhaps some vines around that area would have helped the look a bit. Also this is another reason why we need the boomerang Mario power-up in this game....
    drew79 and Rugmouse like this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Honestly I rushed the ending of that level and it's almost embarrassing how poor the presentation is. I'm going to revamp this level a great deal to add some flare to it. Not sure if you found my 'Azula' stand-in, but it's hardly recognizable as such (it's nothing more than an enemy on a platform). I need to make an airship in that area so you can tell it's her.

I actually watched a friend play through the level, and it felt awfully short when you don't really try for all the coins and 1-ups. I'm glad you enjoyed the level well enough as is, but I've already got some enhancements that should help the level feel more immersive. I like the idea of adding vines to the map! That will actually help alleviate the difficulty ramp-up if you lose the propeller hat. Cool idea! Thanks!
    Last edited by Rugmouse; 09-29-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Ainz Ooal Gown likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I was making a musical instrument stage and accidentally deleted it. I had a 8bit bass with note blocks slliding up and down the strings, a tambourine, a bell.. that's okay, now I can recreate it better.

I want to thank Rugmouse for pushing me towards excellence on this game. I need a kick in the ass occasionally.

So thanks RM, for making me self critique and think outside the cartridge. You're a good egg.
    Last edited by drew79; 09-29-2015 at 11:27 AM.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    When you do get around to uploading your course, please make sure to add my name to the by line. With all the work I've put into kicking ass around here, it's like I've made all of these courses and gotten none of the credit.

In all seriousness, thanks for the kind words, but they are completely unnecessary. I find that you only get as much as you put into these sorts of games, so I'm hopeful that by churning out quality levels of my own (at least I hope they are quality!) along with giving insight to others will be the best way to increase the longevity (and overall enjoyment) people get out of this game. In other words, I'm helping out for very selfish reasons...not to benefit you guys.

Nintendo NID
    chriscamp
    Hello everybody! My levels are gradually getting better over time but I think I still have quite a ways to go before I am a master game designer. Looking for some feedback from my latest. Thanks!

We r gettin a1l smb3 0n u: 358F-0000-007B-A4E5
    I experimented here with trying to put some secrets in my levels. It can be completed fairly quickly if you don't explore though. I think it's of Medium difficulty.

Keep movin for pswitch sakes! : 681A-0000-005F-0D7F
    Here I tried to make a course that requires the player to move through obstacles before a p-switch expires. It could be a little stress inducing. The completion rates are low. Let's call it a "hard" level.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    DracoBreach
    The list (barring pending tags) should be up-to-date now.

Hi there! I thought I'd jump in (been reading this site for years) and post some levels I have uploaded. What a lot of fun this game is!!!

Don't Drop That P-Switch - FBEE-0000-0041-10BA

Tangerine Trench - D9B5-0000-0069-87DF

Brickbreak Heights - EB3E-0000-0069-B270

A Way Through the Coins - C3CF-0000-007C-46EE

Bowser Jr.'s Kamek-Castle - 01D7-0000-007B-F7DF

Retro Revamp 3 - 1801-0000-007A-9D5A

'Shroom Shuffle - 7FD7-0000-0069-4176

Hope you like. If you do, please give me a star!!! And comment to let me know levels of yours I can play... my username is 'Martin' :-)).
    Rugmouse and Ainz Ooal Gown like this.

Welcome to the forums, I'd say play all the levels on the first post but there are so many of them already. Play like half from each person and you'll get a feel for their style in most cases. I'll try to find some time to play your levels as well.
    Tommy likes this.

Thank you!!! I'm busy making my way through them already! :-))
    Tommy likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    i need to have a binge day and play through every single level on the OP
    bobiroc and Tommy like this.
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I actually don't have a style.
    I just make whatever pops into my head there at the moment xP
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Maybe so, but often (for most people) there is a certain pattern in the way they place obstacles or enemies.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I might be doing that subconsciously.
    I don't know, though.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

I find myself placing ? blocks and coins in certain positions... 'cause they don't seem "right" anyplace else LOL
    Rugmouse, Ainz Ooal Gown and Tommy like this.

Oh I tend to do that from a design aspect, for example invisible blocks that the player is supposed to hit might be surrounded by coins or one coin is placed directly above the block. I also tend to keep blocks 3 squares above the ground to keep some consistency, however I may deviate from that if the design of the level dictates that I need to do so.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge
    Delete Mariod I got a new version.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Me waiting for feedback on my levels:

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast