Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ceramicsaturn
  • 1 Post By King Stannis
  • 1 Post By Daemonrunner

Thread: Virtual Console(eShop) games on Gamepad?

Virtual Console(eShop) games on Gamepad?

I know there has been speculation about the gamepad NOT supporting virtual console games but I'm not sure if it has ever been clarified by Nintendo or not. Will the Gamepad support VC games? I think it'd be awesome to be able to lay on the couch/bed and play a VC game on the gamepad with the game on the touch screen rather than the TV - like a portable.

Any thoughts or does anyone know the truth?

Thanks!

I'm almost completely certain that they have confirmed that VC games cannot be played on the Gamepad's screen. I'm not sure if that means you won't be able to use the controller to play them or not, but you can't stream them.

Banned

That.................kinda defeats the purpose of me wanting to transfer them over from my Wii then. What a shame.
    Elite likes this.

That's depressing. Thats certainly one move Nintendo should have made! I think, anyway! Would have been cool to lay on my bed and play some Super Mario 64 on the gamepad while watching some NBA on the tube! :/

@ Ceramic Saturn: I definitely agree! Pretty much the only reason to transfer them is so you can unhook your Wii and put it in the closet. There's not really any other advantage to it!
    Last edited by Morgy; 11-07-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Kinda sad to me... no more Blades of Steel... man that is depressing....
    R.I.P. Mariokartfann's activity on this site
    2012-2014

I'm confused by how Nintendo will handle the Virtual Console. Will it only be accessible via the Wii/Wii Mode, or will it also be accessible through the Wii U's eShop? I wish they would clarify this.
    Elite likes this.

They have clarified this. VC games will run in Wii mode. However, there has been information regarding Nintendo developing a Wii U Virtual Console. Whether that is going to include all previously released titles or just future titles has yet to be revealed - as of right now, it's all Wii Mode.
    Morgy likes this.

I read that too! It's good that they are actually thinking of it for the future, though, rather than blowing it off completely! I can deal with waiting for it to happen....that's better than not happening at all! Haha. Hm, I imagine they will start releasing games a bit at a time as they program them for the Gamepad just like they did with the Wii. I imagine that they'll have to re-release the games they've already put on the Wii Virtual Console because they've pretty much released all of the Mario games for the NES, SNES and N64 and you wouldn't think that they'd neglect to put Mario on the Wii U VC! :P

They have not clarified its accessibility via the eShop, except to say they have future plans. That was my question. I already know that currently owned Virtual Console titles must be accessed through Wii mode.

King Stannis, to answer your question as fast as possible, I will have a....

STORY TIME!!! hehe...
    So I went to my Gamestop to answer your question as soon as you first posted on this thread. So, I turned of the Wii U (hehe, have done this to the Wii also lol) and saw the WaraWara plaza, of course AFTER they announce it. And saw the eShop, but was disabled for the sake of keeping secrets, along with other specs. I soon thought of doing something ELSE to it, and decided to go to options (brilliant, right??) and saw nothing to change to Demo-Regular... soon I gave up... and then thought about what I saw.
    I remember seeing a thingy for VC, I forgot what it meant at the time, but soon remembered (thanks guys, you helped me BTW...) so I thing all in all, you casn only access by Wii Mode.

BUT as others said, they aren't sure about dumping the idea for the Wii U itself... so there is still hope... *wishes there will, to play Blades of Steel*
    R.I.P. Mariokartfann's activity on this site
    2012-2014

Ooooh! I misunderstood the question. Yeah, I was wondering the same. It would suck to have to have 2 different stores for games! I mean, I will do what I have to, just a little inconvenient.

I'm willing to rebuy most of my VC games to be able to use them on the Gamepad. Seems worth it!

I have about 80 VC games...not worth it.

I would mostly rebuy the Mario games and maybe a few others(obviously not ALL at once...but over time). I still have my Super Nintendo, NES Top Loader and my N64 so I have all of those games already - it'd just be nice to have them to use "portably" on the Gamepad!

I hear you. I really wish that VC games I already own on the Wii and are also available on the 3DS were free for me. I am an Amabassador, and it was nice to get free games, but I also already own the NES releases that come out from time to time - so it would have been nice if they were available to me on the 3DS as well - both are linked to my Club Nintendo account for crying out loud!

Question

I wish."Wii Mode" is so annoying.
    Adam Levine: Where do you live, MelMartinezFan?
    MelMartinezFan: Where do you live, Adam?
    Adam Levine: If I'd tell you that, I'd have to kill U!

I wish this Virtual Console eshop crap would just get settled already.

Nintendo is probably doing that so that we have to buy the Wii U VC games if we want to play them on the gamepad. Damn you nintendo you're smart! x_x. I know i'll get e'm but they should give you some money if you bought a certain amount of games on the wii shop channel so that you can buy some of the ones from the Wii u shop

This is one of my most wanted features. And hey, the Wii U can be majorly patched, so it's possible. But I was kind of disappointed when my VC titles went into the Wii Menu instead of being placed on the Wii U channels. Being able to play DKC on the couch like a Supa Boy would be just fantastic. Of course, I could just go buy a Supa Boy... But no. I want it on the gamepad.

I think and hope that they do do this. Rainmaker, do you have N64 games installed? just want to know if you need a classic controller to play it or if its playable on the gamepad or with a wiimote. I have zelda majoras mask but i find no point in transferring it if i need a classic controller since i play them with the gamecube remote

Nintendo NID
    Detonator
    the answer is no. confirmed by nintedo. not avaliabe now. maybe in a year or two.
    Site Rules/Guidelines
    Ultimate Guide to Wii U Forums
    Forum Leaders/Staff
    See anything wrong? Report it! Click the /!\ triangle in the bottom left of each post!

I have Kirby 64, but I haven't played it on my Wii U yet... So I can't answer that right now. You can't play it on the Wii Mote, and I still haven't tested if the gamepad even works with while in Wii mode.

I also don't see the point of transfering unless i can us a procontroller, now that i can't use a gamecube controller. I bet soon this will happen.
    Nintendo Live ID: Elitepwnsface

My white wii U is better than your black one.

Would be crazy to not have VC on wiiu. Who wants to boot up wii mode to play games? Why have a wii mode in the first place? This mentality is so archaic, just like the rest of the wiiu OS design, so it does kinda fit. I bet they'll announce VC for wiiu at E3. Then the nes and snes games will trickle through one a month or something silly.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    me

Brony/MMPR Fan/Gamer procontrollerz's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    MorphinBrony
    Indeed it is!
    3DS Friend Code: 0834-2222-4257
    XBOX Live Gamertag: MorphinBrony
    Steam ID: MorphinBrony

Feel free to add me if you like!

Brony/MMPR Fan/Gamer procontrollerz's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    MorphinBrony
    Darn.
    3DS Friend Code: 0834-2222-4257
    XBOX Live Gamertag: MorphinBrony
    Steam ID: MorphinBrony

Feel free to add me if you like!

to answer my own question, it has to be a classic controller or classic controller pro to play Wii vc on the WIi U. Well there goes my vc hopes. I'd rather wait and see what happens with the vc that'll release on the Wii U since Nintendo said that those games will be able to be played with the gamepad.