Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: Making a wii u SKU that swaps out the gamepad for a pro controller, good idea?

Banned

Making a wii u SKU that swaps out the gamepad for a pro controller, good idea?

I have been thinking, if Nintendo made another wii u SKU that had the pro controller instead of the gamepad for $200, would that boost the wii u sales into infinity?

Having 2 SKU models,one with gamepad and one with pro controller could really do wonders for the wii u sales. I would for sure go for the gamepad model since its important to me but Ive seen people who don't care about it

This depends if every wii u game supports the pro controller now, if not lets just scrap this idea. I am also aware you need the gamepad to setup the system, build in a new firmware that doesn't require it

What are your thoughts on this? If every wii u game DOESNT support the pro controller(not counting Nintendo land) lets just pretend it did, would it be a good idea for sales and consumer choice?

Nintendo NID
    Sonicgill
    NO. It's not a good idea.
    Leeroy, Derpy Dude, Kennyj and 2 others like this.
    *"What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, then it slowly fades leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it, your parents are gonna do it, break the cycle ladies and gentlemen, rise above, focus on science."

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    Why are people so determined to get rid of the gamepad?

I say NO because there are some games you really cannot play without the gamepad.
    I brought the Awesome. What did you bring?

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    NintendoID (Wii U) - bobiroc
    XBLive GamerTag - bobiroc
    SteamID - bobiroc
    3DS Friend Code - 1134-7717-4295
    Super Mario Run Player ID - 7352-6985-2096
    Anyone sensing a pattern here?

Nintendo NID
    Sonicgill
    There are games you can play without the gamepad, but wouldn't want to. The gamepad makes a lot of things better.
    WoodenSaucer and Kennyj like this.
    *"What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, then it slowly fades leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it, your parents are gonna do it, break the cycle ladies and gentlemen, rise above, focus on science."

Nintendo NID
    EliteAlpha
    *ahem*

No.
    Sharkz and Kennyj like this.
    Nintendo Network ID: EliteAlpha
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-1549-7460

short answer : No

Long answer : heck no
    RaY_210, Kennyj and JohhnyGossamer like this.

Banned
    People need to read the description, I just said that it would be optional and I prefer the gamepad

Nintendo NID
    Madmagican
    And remove the originality of the Wii U? Why would that be a good idea?
    Nintendude, Sharkz, drew79 and 1 others like this.

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4184-6307
    Switch FC: SW-1962-1750-8219
    NNID: Madmagican

****ing HELL no.

Why the hell would anyone think this is a good idea?
    Kennyj likes this.
    NNID: Folofus

The Jew fears the Samurai

Banned
    it seems people missed the part where I said "optional" and "different SKU" some people just want to play the games on wii u and don't care about the gamepad, that is why people who are like that should have that option

So people want to play games they can not play because they do not want to use the gamepad. Where is the logic in there.
    DarkMaster likes this.

Banned
    Wow, sad, you don't have to buy an OPTIONAL model of something, people missed the part when I said SEPARATE OPTIONAL SKU FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT CARE ABOUT THE GAMEPAD. This is the same BS with the 2ds where people were whining and complaining even though its an OPTIONAL system for people who want a cheaper 3ds

lol, this is so much different. There is no 3ds game that needs the 3d to finish the game. There are a lot of games that NEED the gamepad to even play it. that is the difference.
    Nintendude and Kennyj like this.

Nintendo NID
    santaclause
    I think it's a good idea. Most games don't even use the gamepad to the fullest. Most games seldom ask for the player to touch here and there, or touch the screen for inventory. Just look at SMBU: the gamepad only acts as a second tv with a touch-to-make-it-easier function. In Pikmin 3, the gamepad serves as a big map that you would easily access with the pause button. In BLOPS2, a map; in AC3, inventory; in 3DLand, blow here; and apparently in Mario Kart, its a touch button to change your steering option.
    Last edited by LocoSublime; 01-01-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Miiverse ID: SantaClause

Banned
    Please learn to read the description, this is a hypothetical idea if ALL games supported the pro controller

this is why I hate discussing anything on the internet, sorry if I sound harsh but its irritating when people don't get the point

Nintendo NID
    Sonicgill
    Would you want to pause Pikmin every few seconds, though?

Nintendo NID
    DooMed
    No....the gamepad is part of what sets the Wii U apart. It's got uses that makes a different experience than what Sony or MS can give. If you don't like ingenuity then I'd suggest going with a different console. Why buy a console and then wanting to get rid of the originality? Just my 2 cents.
    Leeroy and drew79 like this.
    - I saw six men kicking and punching my mother-in-law. My neighbor walks over and says, "Are you going to help?" I said, "No, six should be enough." -

Nintendo ID: DooMed

3ds Friend Code:

Banned
    EVERYONE READ

this was a hypothetical idea IF ALL GAMES DID support the pro controller

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    The Wii U and Gamepad go together. Separating them is not an option. Without the gamepad you CANNOT... I REPEAT CANNOT do some of the functions of the Wii U like browse the eShop, Use MiiVerse to post comments, many games REQUIRE it.

That is why we all say NO. Not that we are getting pissed but rather it is not a good idea because of the required functionality of the gamepad.
    Nintendude, Sharkz and Kennyj like this.

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    SteamID - bobiroc

Banned
    Because games make a good console, and wii u has good games so its a good console if you use a pro controller or gamepad

Then you are still ignoring the games that have been released that can not be played.

Nintendo NID
    santaclause
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo can change those settings to help those who don't have a gamepad

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    Why would they want to do that?? It makes no sense.
    Nintendude, Sharkz and Kennyj like this.

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    SteamID - bobiroc

Nintendo NID
    santaclause
    You pause the game anyway when you want to tell a captain to move somewhere. Besides, the gamepad can be replaced with a minimap on the TV
    Last edited by LocoSublime; 01-01-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: more backup

but everyone has a gamepad because it comes with the system. The wii u will never be sold without a gamepad because it is part of the system. If you want to play a console without a gamepad there is always sony and ms.
    Nintendude and Kennyj like this.

Banned
    finally someone who gets it, consumer option is a good thing
    LocoSublime likes this.

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    But why would Nintendo even want to do that?

I'm beginning to doubt this sentiment in the gaming industry. I really think publishers and manufacturers need to stop convincing gamers that they can eat their cake and have it too. "Consumer option" is slowly becoming "cater to me an no one else".

Anyway, this idea probably wouldn't go over as well as you'd think it would.
    Last edited by Yerba_Sutra; 01-01-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    SW-7328-5307-1995

and why do people want to make something unique like the wii u with a gamepad into another console like the ps4 and the xbox1 by removing what is unique to the wii U

Banned
    I wasn't aware sony and Microsoft had 3d world, mh3u, windwaker hd, X, Mario kart 8, smash bros, pikmin 3 and so on
    Sharkz likes this.

Banned
    games make a system unique, look at all the awesome exclusives on wii u compared to ps4 and x1, games make the system not a controller, I love the gamepad, it is perfect for me but some people could care less about it and just want to play wii u games

and now you do not understand it.
    You really do not see our point at all.

Nintendo NID
    santaclause
    to increase sales; Cheaper price=more purchases from people who have a tight budget e.g. Myself

So because some people do not like it nintendo just should remove their uniqueness, so if some people do not like miiverse nintendo should just remove that. If some people do not like vc nintendo should just remove that.
    Sharkz likes this.

lmao the wii U is except the wii the cheapest console to launch ever.

I checked and of the competition ever only the dreamcast was cheaper at release

Last edited by D Moness; 01-01-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Banned
    they could also make it smaller for people that dont need off tv

Nintendo NID
    DooMed
    The bolded part I agree with. However, experiences can be made with it in games more than without it.

ZombiU uses the gamepad to accomplish something that makes the game fantastic.

You mentioned blops 2 as just a map. Not true. It is highly useful in local multi player so you don't have to share a split screen.

You mentioned inventory and the game can be paused to use it. That's true, but the gamepad function makes it so you don't have to pause to acess it. Much better imo.

Don't get me started on the usefulness on MH3U....

Nintendo Land makes great use of the gamepad in some of its games. I still fail to see how getting rid of the originality of the Wii U would be a good idea in any sense. These are just examples I can think of off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Sharkz; 01-01-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    LocoSublime and Yerba_Sutra like this.
    - I saw six men kicking and punching my mother-in-law. My neighbor walks over and says, "Are you going to help?" I said, "No, six should be enough." -

Nintendo ID: DooMed

3ds Friend Code:

Nintendo NID
    santaclause
    Nintendo wants to do that because it's an option; look at all the controll methods they allow you to use!

Well, it would have to come with a Wii remote so you can use the miiverse, home screen, etc. I think it would sell pretty well, but I have to agree that it wouldn't be a great idea.
    If they sell a system that doesn't include the controller then you would basically be telling any developer who wants to work on the Wii U that the gamepad is optional for your game, which I think in the long run would hurt the system. It's similar to the PS4 eye debacle; once it's optional I doubt anyone besides it's creators will attempt to use it.
    So basically there are pros and cons, but I think in the long run it wouldn't be a good idea.
    It seems to me that Nintendo worked pretty hard on the current controller to include the touchscreen and still make it feel comfortable and easy to use IMHO.
    Last edited by Interloper; 01-01-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Kahhhhyle likes this.

NNID: JBroccolo
    3DS: 4398-9717-2839
    I play in this dude's band: Josh Rivers Band
    And make some music with my wife here: The Jasper Wall

Banned
    Swapping out controllers has nothing to do with that, a firmware update would include complete pro support, didn't I say that It would be an OPTIONAL model like the 2ds?

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    There is always the Ouya if you are on such a cheap budget that the least expensive home console should have parts removed and cause more confusion to the consumers. Besides I think removing the gamepad and substituting the pro controller would only save $50 at most. I mean no one really knows how much the gamepad costs individually but as a package deal it is much cheaper to produce and separating the SKUs would raise the overall cost of both systems. Basic logistics.
    Kennyj likes this.

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    SteamID - bobiroc

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Options are not always a good thing. Nintendo wants a 100% Gamepad install rate so that developers WILL support the gamepad. Getting rid of a 100% install rate would seriously damage this -- and I think hurt the Wii U in the LONG RUN. Who cares if it gets them a few extra sales (maybe?) in the short term if it hurts the system in the long run.

Also, Nintendo isn't going to make game developers and publishers retroactively support the pro-controller. Games like Lego City, for example, can't be played without a Gamepad. And to make it work with just a pro-controller would take a large amount of effort because the Gamepad is used extensively for many different things.
    Nintendo ID: kennyjohnson
    Nintendo 3DS: 4012-4819-5619
    Wii Fit U: Wii U Forums Gym Community: 2974-4499-2133

and like i said there are wii U games that need the gamepad to even play (zombiU, lego undercover, nintendo land to name only a few). The difference with the 2ds is that NO 3ds game needs 3d to complete the game. Something I said before but you seem to ignore.

That is why the 2ds option works but a wii u without gamepad will not.
    Nintendude, Kennyj and bobiroc like this.

Nintendo NID
    santaclause
    But I'm not talking about the Ouya; Im talking about the Wii U! D: I think it would save more that $50. The confusion can be fixed with the brilliant Nintendo ads that are seen everywhere. I read somewhere that the gamepad is worth something equivalent to ~$120.

Nintendo NID
    jaguar
    How many times will someone ask this? NO...NO NO NO NO. If they did that the device would just look like a weaker version of the xbox one and ps4 because the control scheme would be the same! And consumers would lose interest because it doesn't have that cool tablet controller! Its cheap enough already!
    Nintendude, Kennyj and bobiroc like this.
    NNID: jaguar

I think the problem with comparing it to the 3ds/2ds is that 3D is not a control option; if the 2DS removed the touch screen on the bottom it would be a better analogy; and in that case I doubt anyone would buy it cause it fundamentally changes a lot of games.
    Nintendo has just barely tapped into the capabilities of controller, IMHO. Give them another 4-5 years and we'll see some amazing things, similar to what they did with Skyward Sword close to the end of the Wii's life.

NNID: JBroccolo
    3DS: 4398-9717-2839
    I play in this dude's band: Josh Rivers Band
    And make some music with my wife here: The Jasper Wall

Banned
    a $200 8th gen system sounds like it would have tons of sales, look how many games support the pro, those devs had no problem with options.

Banned
    read where I said optional separate model

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    And the Pro controller is $40-$50.. Now factor in the packaging costs, marketing costs, distribution costs, and all the work to rewrite their software and tell their game companies that they have to patch existing games to accommodate systems without the gamepad. This will bring you back to approximately $50 savings.

I am just going to say it. It is a completely stupid and poorly thought out idea to even consider removing the gamepad. However if you would like to continue to make up reasons that make no sense to get rid of it then by all means I give up.
    Sharkz and rm2000 like this.

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    SteamID - bobiroc

Banned
    which is why I came up with the idea, swapping controllers would cut the optional model down to $200, that would slaughter ps4 and x1 in sales

read where almost all of us say it is a bad idea, we all give our reason why it is a bad idea but you keep saying this.

Also why is it only when nintendo releases a console people complain about the price they ask for it.
    GameNChick, Sharkz and drew79 like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast