Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: Making a wii u SKU that swaps out the gamepad for a pro controller, good idea?

Nintendo NID
    Sonicgill
    This argument is like rolling a large rock up a giant hill.

*"What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, then it slowly fades leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it, your parents are gonna do it, break the cycle ladies and gentlemen, rise above, focus on science."

Banned
    I said it was a pretend idea from the start, read the description, just saying. this is why the gaming internet community is terrible.

So we are a terrible community because we disagree with your idea, now who is selfish
    Nintendude and Kennyj like this.

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd
    well most people HAVE told me they prefer the gamepad when playing games.....SO yeeeaaaaaah
    bobiroc likes this.
    Nintendo Network ID: Julesimanerd
    3DS friend code: 2191 - 9014 - 2011
    Xbox Live: imanerd711
    PSN: himynameisjules7
    feel free to add me

"Ya know, Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who can see the truth. Life is just an absurdist comedy, the only appropriate response is to laugh."

Banned
    This argument is like two people with equal strength pushing eachother at the same time, the argument needs to be dropped,nobody is winning and we cant change eachothers opinions
    Sharkz and Julesimanerd like this.

most people I know with a wii u love the gamepad
    bobiroc likes this.

Banned
    I was meaning in general, not here, also I have seen this in forums that I haven't been part of, lets just drop this, we are getting nowhere

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd
    agreed. let's move on
    feel free to add me

"Ya know, Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who can see the truth. Life is just an absurdist comedy, the only appropriate response is to laugh."

Banned
    Most people told me the pro is better for serious gameplay, so yeaaaaaaaaaaah

I thought you said it was time to drop it, or do you still want to discuss this.
    Sharkz and bobiroc like this.

Banned
    I tried to delete It but it wouldn't let me for some reason

Nintendo NID
    Polite1
    I think you probably answered your own question with, "I think it's fair to say that some games don't fully utilize or even use it poorly."

Not sure if you were directing your post at my comment but your answer is pretty much my thinking. I agree with you that some games are making a good use of the gamepad. I also want to make it very clear that I love the gamepad. I simply believe that creativity is going to push it even further.

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd

I'm just saying. don't tell me most people say one thing because I've been getting different information and opinions then you, so saying that "most people tell me yada yada yada" isn't a valid point. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    Sharkz likes this.
    feel free to add me

Deleting posts is removed due to abuse in the past (also editing is only possible in 5 minutes)

Banned
    Well, Im sorry, I just want to drop this and move on, we have our opinions and convincing the other is impossible

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd
    the Internet summed up to a simple sentence hahah
    feel free to add me

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    You are correct about that, maybe I should have worded it differently.

If a Wii U sans-GamePad were possible to be implemented (meaning if the Wii U hadn't been created with its GamePad integration and your hypothetical scenario could more realistically come to fruition), I would rather have seen a console at the same price as the Wii U we know, but with that GamePad R&D money spent elsewhere. Anywhere else. Online services, UI, Miiverse, specs... you-name-it. I'm focusing more on the price point than the hardware.

That's interesting... I don't think I have ever used the Pro Controller. I have one, and my friends use it a bit, but I never give it a second thought. That's your opinion and I am certainly not judging it. I just don't really understand.

I shudder to imagine using a standard controller to navigate the eShop or Miiverse (ugh typing messages?!) instead of a touch screen. I'm curious what would become of the Wara Wara Plaza screen in this optional SKU, if it were introduced.

btw I don't think the Pro Controller SKU is a bad idea. I just think there are too many things that would have to be almost entirely removed from the Wii U in order for the hypothetical scenario to stand its ground as-of-now ("as-of-now" is the important part, I understand this is supposed to be hypothetical but it's hard to keep one's thoughts in hypothetical-land). There are too many ripples from that concept that could, had it been implemented the way you suggest, dramatically change what people have come to enjoy from the console. And, because of this, it wouldn't be a viable option for Nintendo... as-of-now.

If you want to continue discussing a Pro Controller SKU as a pur hypothetical, I'm curious to see what your thoughts are. What do you think would have been done to the Wii U's UI to accommodate such a change? What do you think games like ZombiU or The Wonderful 101 would have done differently to maintain quality across multiple control schemes? I suppose W101 could stick with the right stick Unite Morphs, but I don't know if Platinum would have even followed that model if they hadn't had a GamePad-centric Wii U to develop for. What's your opinion?
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Nintendo NID
    Immallama22

Nintendo NID
    jaguar
    "Games make consoles, hardware doesn't."

The Wii would have sold horrendously without the wiimotes you know No matter what games they had, it would've been another Gamecube(probably worse) if they just gave it with a standard classic controller. And the Wii U would not work as a regular console with regular control scheme. They need that differentiator to help sell. And, you may argue "Well its just an option! Options are good!" but that would mean that 3rd parties would stop utilizing the gamepad because they would think "Hey. A huge portion of our audience doesn't even have one! Why should we put money into utilizing it?" Which is exactly why this is a bad idea
    drew79 and Kennyj like this.
    NNID: jaguar

Banned
    I suppose we can discuss without fighting, remember arkham city for wii u? That made use of the gamepad but worked well on the ps3 and 360 with normal controllers, I think there was new gadgets for the wii u but those could easily work with a normal controller

I think every wii u game can work with a pro controller,

Nintendo NID
    jaguar
    And, just saying, this is not akin to the 2DS not having a 3D display. Its like having a 3DS without the a bottom touch screen display.

Banned
    We stopped fighting about this,

Nintendo NID
    jaguar
    But not every 3rd party publisher will create support for the pro controller. Imagine Scribblenauts without the gamepad, when half the time your typing. And, oh, I don't know-Art Academy. Not to mention Nintendo Land wouldn't work at all(Yoshi's Fruit Cart anyone?), neither would games nintendo is planning in the future. Not every game can work with a pro controller. And this is a fact.

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    But he's trying to say that the GamePad would be an option, which I understand. The GamePad would be able to work on this Pro Controller SKU, but you'd have to buy it separately.
    Games like these would be gimped in a way if there it were mandatory to provide an experience that didn't require the GamePad, I'm sure. But we're trying to talk hypothetically, as if the Wii U were created without such a touch screen focus in the first place. I'm just mostly curious how different the Wii U would be as a console and UI if the GamePad weren't so integral to its functions.
    Last edited by Yerba_Sutra; 01-01-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Banned
    Let me guess, you don't know when to drop something,eveyone else moved on

Banned
    Well I was discussing that a firmware update would fix that that's the joy of modern consoles,updates can add support for stuff

I completely agree with Arctic's comments. All of Nintendo's controller limitations (eshop only with gamepad, etc) are artificial and rarely seem implemented out of necessity. I should never be required to use a control method I don't prefer. For instance Trine 2 requires one player to use gamepad and another wiimote + nunchuck -- NO EXCEPTIONS! Is this convenient for consumers? Pro control has plenty of buttons to be used in ANY game.

Personally, I believe it's a sleazy way to force us to buy more accessories. Have faith in your GAMES and you will make money there instead of having to milk your consumers for more and more accessories.

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    Hey, it's aight man. After a year of constant Wii U bashing on the internet it is sometimes challenging to entertain ideas that have been previously posited by people who are just out to talk crap or troll. We gotta stay positive and constructive.

I read that - I'm just curious how an update like that would change things like the UI and integral apps like Miiverse and the eShop, in your opinion.
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd
    I mean to be fair, gameboy just jumped in haha

I think they should include Pro controller support for most, if not all, of the Wii U games. But like I said, I personally love the gamepad so I couldn't care less XD haha
    feel free to add me

Banned
    I was also thinking about how the gamepad costs $130.00 to replace, and its required to use the wii u. I feel people should be able to use the pro controller until they are able to get another gamepad so the system is not a brick

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Hmm...what strange things are going on here today
    Yerba_Sutra likes this.
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    That's actually a good point... now I gotta do some searching to see if this has been addressed
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    But I don't expect every game to use it. But enough games put it to good use that I hate when I see people say that it's "not reached its potential" or has yet to be "fully utilized." If Lego City or ZombiU aren't "fully utilizing it." I don't know what is.

Heck, Even the way Lego Marvel uses it in multiplayer is pretty awesome. One player can be on the Gamepad and the other on the TV. You can explore the city independently of each other without having to have a split screen.
    Nintendo ID: kennyjohnson
    Nintendo 3DS: 4012-4819-5619
    Wii Fit U: Wii U Forums Gym Community: 2974-4499-2133

Banned
    Well if a ps4 can use a digital store with a regular controller then wii u can do the same, I learned you don't need to use a touchscreen for the eshop. Miiverse is the same I believe, you just couldn't draw but I came up with the pro sku for people who just want to play games, if people wanted the full experience then the main gamepad model is there

Nintendo NID
    jaguar
    I get what Arctic is saying. But I would be totally against this, as it would compromise A LOT of awesome things the wii u has the ability to do in the future by both Nintendo and 3rd parties because, as I said before, they wouldn't think everyone has one so they wouldn't try to make games tailored for it. Its like Playstation Move or Kinect last generation. They did get a handful of games but they would've gotten more if it was included with the system and EVERYONE had one.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Said someone who hasn't played many Wii U Games.
    drew79 and bobiroc like this.
    Nintendo ID: kennyjohnson
    Nintendo 3DS: 4012-4819-5619
    Wii Fit U: Wii U Forums Gym Community: 2974-4499-2133

Banned
    The standard gamepad SKU would be more popular but I have seen many people who JUST want to play wii u games. The gamepad offers a complete and better experience but some people don't care. That was my point, I am not trying to ruin the uniqueness I just believe consumer choice is the right thing. Xbox one Kinect is forced into the package and ups the cost for example, why cant there be an optional model without it?

Nintendo NID
    jaguar
    While it may be true some people prefer just the pro controller, as I said before Nintendo and 3rd parties would slowly stop caring to create more gamepad enabled games to the point where all the great experiences Nintendo promised us for the wii u with the gamepad screen will never happen :/ If it doesn't come bundled, 3rd parties will stop caring. Just like with the PS Move and Kinect. And I bet you the One's Kinect will get more games than the PS4's move JUST because its bundled and everyone has it. Its the way it works.
    Kennyj likes this.

Banned
    Just read through this ****-ass cesspool y'all created.

@Arctic, what is your issue, son? You're constantly grasping for straws because people don't agree with your *hypothetical* idea. The reason for debating a hypothesis is to go over how feasible it is. Why are you still pushing the issue?

And the internet gaming "community" is terrible because you can't seem to find agreeable people? Oh, so I guess all music-listeners are assholes because different tastes are everywhere? Lol...

Why do people constantly come on here with this "drop the Gamepad" nonsense? We've been through this song-and-dance before and the general consensus is that it's a dumbass idea. We've posited why it's a dumbass idea, and the only things you're countering with is, "but the Pro controlller's more popular!" and, "but it's all hypothetical!"

Cry me a river until I drown in your tears.
    Last edited by GameNChick; 01-01-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Calm down on your swearing

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Dustin? Is that you?

My problem with this scenario is that since the gamepad wouldn't be necessary, devs would pretty much just ignore it altogether.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    I'll just add I see what Artic is saying, but do not agree
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Dat,I have edited your post as it was over excessive use of swearing, please refrain from posts like that in the future
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    A'ight.

I'll truncate instead. :P

Because the producers of the consoles, in this case Nintendo and Microsoft want 100% of their users USING their new peripheral/controlling systems. They want this so that there is always 100% support and adoption by developers.

You might as well ask for a 3DS/2DS without a analog stick and a better placed D-Pad because you only play platformers.
    gameboy and Kennyj like this.

Banned
    Oh, and that's another strawman; the choice already exists.

The Gamepad comes with the Wii U and, if the gamer chooses to do so, they can always get another Pro controller.

The idea you posit is to swap that around, with the Wii U coming with the Pro controller and the consumer has a choice to get the Gamepad. And we think it's a dumb idea.

This is why the have the OPTION to buy the pro controller. I don't see why you want a base model without the unique part of the console. plus the controller uses parts in unison with the console I don't think it would work easily.

cmb
    Nintendo NID
    srmario
    you could do two things :
    bundle the pro controller along side the gamepad
    make a new gamepad that looks like the pro controller with the touchscreen
    sorudialect likes this.
    Metal Gear Solid 5 for Wii U
    Steam ID: cmbsfm
    NNID: srmario

Good lord... Aight guys I'm here for the party, I see I've missed a lot lol

A few people have said i it already but basically in response to the OP the reason why Nintendo wouldn't/shouldn't do it is because they want 100% install base. Kinect is required with Xbox One because Microsoft wants everybody who has an Xbox One to have Kinect. If it were optional it would be the throw away accessory (although they did sell a butt-ton of those things) the 360 Kinect is now. Look at the PS Move, look at the Wii Classic Controller, look at the Wii Fit Board, look at Wii Motion Plus. All these divices have great potential, but if only 5 million people buy em even if the install base is 80 million any games designed to work with that special control scheme (Skyward Sword) will have to fight 2 battles now. It's hard enough to convince consumers to buy your game at this point anyway, now add in a 20-60$ peripheral.

The devs will stop using it if it's not mandatory.
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    The one thing I have to chime in on is Artic keeps bringing up this as a ''hypothetical idea'' and not supposed to be ''serious''.

But yet he has constantly downed others for having an opposite opinion on the matter.

I'm just saying, you should be able to respect others opinions, since that's what you asked for. You asked people if it was a good sounding idea, some agree and some didn't, I fail to see what's the reason for calling people here selfish and telling others to ''move along'' just because they do not share your same view points.
    D Moness, cmb and DatNOBoi like this.
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast