Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: Making a wii u SKU that swaps out the gamepad for a pro controller, good idea?

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    It's a pretty silly option, if you ask me. I would rather see Nintendo put resources into making the GamePad more integrated with the Wii U software (like being able to check Miiverse through a simplified menu on the touch screen without interrupting what's on the TV) than backpedal like this.

The more Wii Us are sold with the GamePad, the cheaper it will be to manufacture the hardware. Releasing a secondary SKU without the GamePad - if the idea resulted in increased sales at all - would drag this process out and could, in time, lead to the GamePad being scrapped as an input device.
    Sharkz and drew79 like this.

SW-7328-5307-1995

It is already starting to beat the xbox 1 sales.

Banned
    Just because you don't want others to have options for selfish reasons doesnt mean its a bad idea, its for the best you walk away from this one, cant win them all

lol, because you do not like his opinion you tell him to walk away from the discussion. That is mature.
    Kennyj likes this.

Banned
    That is a rumor, Nintendo needs to be at the top or near it because they are constantly being ignored as a 8th gen system

and you think the media will be positive when nintendo does your idea. You do know that nintendo has been ignored/bashed since the nes right.

Banned
    Lol he said he gave up himself, yes its our opinions but consumer options are a good thing, if xbox one had a separate optional model without Kinect, that would be good for the consumer and sales

Nintendo NID
    Polite1
    It's a topic that has been discussed before and there are blogs dedicated to it as well. It's not a bad idea and perhaps Nintendo even had some, albeit short, internal discussions about it; however, I can't see Nintendo going that direction. While I generally subscribe to the school of thought that giving consumers options is a good thing, this probably isn't a good option.

At the end of the day, Nintendo wants the gamepad to be a part of the Wii U experience. Has it been fully utilized yet, no. With that said, I do believe creativity will catch up over time to produce some great results with the gamepad.
    drew79 and Yerba_Sutra like this.

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    Excuse me if this sounds rude, but it seems much more like you're the one with the selfish reasons here.
    Nintendude, Sharkz, Kennyj and 1 others like this.
    SW-7328-5307-1995

If nintendo listened to all their "fans"they would have been bankrupt by now. Consumers are the most selfish arrogant people that know nothing about the business they think they know so much of.

Nintendo was the top of the 7th gen but the media and devs still kept on bashing and ignoring the system, what makes you think making a wii u version without a gamepad would make the devs and media do a 180.
    Nintendude, Kennyj and bobiroc like this.

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    And you completely miss the part that there are existing games and services that REQUIRE the gamepad. You also make the assumption that swapping out the gamepad (Rumored to have a cost of $80 - $120) for a controller that cost $40-$50 would save all that money which using simple and basic math it will not. But never mind that because there are games and services that REQUIRE the gamepad and with 5+ million console sold they are not going to change all that just to accommodate the people that want to make the cheapest system cheaper because the prices of the XB1 and PS4 are so justified but the price of the Wii U is not
    Sharkz, drew79, Kennyj and 1 others like this.
    I brought the Awesome. What did you bring?

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    NintendoID (Wii U) - bobiroc
    XBLive GamerTag - bobiroc
    SteamID - bobiroc
    3DS Friend Code - 1134-7717-4295
    Super Mario Run Player ID - 7352-6985-2096
    Anyone sensing a pattern here?

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    Rather, we'd see the backlash from the 2DS announcement... the internet screaming "SEE?!? THIS IS NINTENDO ADMITTING THE GAMEPAD IS A STUPID IDEA AND THEY'RE SLOWING PHASING IT OUT! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM when am I getting Zelda on my PS4?"

People care way more about the pissing contest than they do about the actual games, anymore.
    drew79 and Kennyj like this.
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Banned
    Nes= No, they were on top

SNES= genesis and SNES were neck and neck

n64= yup, because they used carts and not disks

gamecube= yup, they used tiny disks that had low storage which resulted in poor ish third party support

wii= yup underpowered and people didn't realize you could use a classic controller, I loved this system

Banned
    you can fit a map better on screens these days and have a small touch screen

Nintendo NID
    jaguar
    And is the console really so expensive. I mean really, $300. That's a whole $100 cheaper than the PS4 and $200 cheaper than a one. And if they did this, the devs would stop making games that support the gamepad so it would be a terrible idea. And why on earth can't you just buy a pro controller, they're not that expensive. You can pick up a Wii U for $250, its not expensive for a console that just launched a year ago. And I read your description so don't even say it.
    bobiroc likes this.
    NNID: jaguar

This is what I really can not understand. The wii U even comes with 1 or more games, something both ps4 and xbxo1 doesn't have for their cheapest version. Also the online is free compared to the 50/60 bucks a year you need for ps+ or xbox live gold. Not to mention the sony wants to do more or less like the wii u with a 200 bucks companion device but that all is ok but the wii U is too expensive ...
    rm2000 likes this.

Please bifurcate your install base so you can support MY needs! /s

I wish Microsoft would release a Kinectless-XboxOne so that I could have a $150 cheaper XboxOne. That doesn't mean Microsoft should do it though. For good or bad Nintendo has bet on a Gamepad console and MS has bet on a Kinect based console. They'd be out of their mind to undercut that bet unless they were in a DIRE situation which neither are.
    drew79 and Kennyj like this.

Banned
    this was a hypothetical idea if EVERY GAME DID WORK WITH THE PRO,I stated it in the description, this was not supposed to be a serious idea since I KNOW not every game works with the pro

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    Obligatory copypasta:

The Wii U is not expensive; especially considering the GamePad has some really well-implemented technology in it that deserves to be in the market to decrease manufacturing costs. I mean... it streams video and audio with less latency than an HDMI cable can stream to modern TVs. That's brilliant!
    But I also feel that it is a reason why people don't understand the costs of the console/controller. They think the outcome of these costs will show up objectively in the games they play, when they don't in this case.
    Last edited by Yerba_Sutra; 01-01-2014 at 03:38 PM.
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Banned
    Yeah I need a pro controller only model even though I need the gamepad for my needs, read the description please

Doesn't change my point. It's idiotic to bifurcate your user base. Instantly every game has to support 2 controllers adding to dev costs and testing. Woot!

Bonus question. Can you think of a single console that dramatically shifted it's primary controller type after launch? I'm not talking about supporting different controllers for different games but a flat out change in controller type.
    Kennyj likes this.

Sure , nes and snes were on top but that doesn't mean they weren't bashed in the media.

Yeah no snes bashing here.
    Last edited by D Moness; 01-01-2014 at 03:51 PM.

but NOT every game works with the pro controller, hypothetical or not. It will never happen because there are already games out that will not work with the procontroller only, so your hypothetical idea can never happen.
    Kennyj and bobiroc like this.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Would it? Or would it just make it a competitor to PS3 and X360? Part of what makes the Wii U an 8th generation console (besides just chronology) is that it introduced a new control scheme...

I'm not sure a $200 Wii U without a Gamepad WOULD sell much more than a $300 Wii U with a Gamepad. It might, but I think the potential long term damage (of essentially abandoning a core part of the system, getting rid of the 100% install rate, consumer confusion, etc.) would make any short term potential sales gains moot anyway.
    bobiroc likes this.
    Nintendo ID: kennyjohnson
    Nintendo 3DS: 4012-4819-5619
    Wii Fit U: Wii U Forums Gym Community: 2974-4499-2133

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    lol fix this before the 5 minute edit limit!!
    SW-7328-5307-1995

I have no limit as a guide

I posted that to show nintendo got bashed since the beginning they stepped into the gaming industry. The OP suggested that when they were on top nobody bashed them so I just posted a few things that proved the OP wrong.

Banned
    steambox cobtroller, dreamcast controller

the wiiu tablet

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    I know lol, it's just that the actual image isn't showing up.

I honestly don't think it would increase sales in a meaningful way, and it really wouldn't do well for Nintendo's consumer image. People are already bashing Wii U for having "seven-year-old hardware"; this would only get worse with a SKU that didn't even have the GamePad.

Considering the hypothetical situation of the Wii U not requiring the GamePad in the first place... if that were the case I would rather have seen Nintendo still release the Wii U at $350, with stronger hardware instead of a focus on the GamePad, than stick with the current specs and just focus on a lower price point that comes with a Pro Controller.
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    I still don't know why people keep saying that the Gamepad hasn't yet been "fully utilized." What does that even mean? I wonder how many people who say that have played Lego City Undercover? That game used the Gamepad exceptionally well. I was also very impressed with Arkham City's usage.

I think its fair to say that some games don't fully utilize -- or even use it poorly (Does Mass Effect 3 use it at all?). But to say that games haven't used it well is just wrong.
    Nintendo ID: kennyjohnson
    Nintendo 3DS: 4012-4819-5619
    Wii Fit U: Wii U Forums Gym Community: 2974-4499-2133

aha it shows up here though... gonna fix it

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd
    I mean...the gamepad is pretty much a pro controller with a screen.....why is it an issue?

but to the topic, I don't think it would be a good idea personally. A lot of the functions on the Wii U menu require the Gamepad (ie Eshop, Miiverse) It would be too much of a hassle for Nintendo to tweek the menus for a handful of people who wouldn't want a gamepad (I'm assuming the number of people not wanting a gamepad would be a very small number) But I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, but I just don't think it's a practical idea.
    drew79 likes this.
    Nintendo Network ID: Julesimanerd
    3DS friend code: 2191 - 9014 - 2011
    Xbox Live: imanerd711
    PSN: himynameisjules7
    feel free to add me

"Ya know, Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who can see the truth. Life is just an absurdist comedy, the only appropriate response is to laugh."

Banned
    OPTIONAL model, people need to understand this, neither of the options would be primary, just equal

And you need to understand that we think it is a bad idea, how many times you yell optional or hypothetical we just think it is and will be a bad idea.

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd
    Also ZombiU.
    and not to mention the off screen play for pretty much all the games...which is awesome
    feel free to add me

"Ya know, Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who can see the truth. Life is just an absurdist comedy, the only appropriate response is to laugh."

Banned
    games make the system, not hardware, we can take a trip down history for proof

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    REQUIRED... You need to understand that. Hypothetical or not it changes the whole focus of they system and that is NOT a good idea to most of the people here. So you wanted a discussion and there are those who think it is a bad bad idea

So let's quit beating this dead horse of a topic

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    SteamID - bobiroc

Banned
    every system has bashing, the ps4 and x1 are now being bashed for having "no games"

Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    and how you play those games make the experience. Remove the control scheme that gives the game's intended experience any you have NOTHING

Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    SteamID - bobiroc

yep and the games make great use of the gamepad so seeing as those games exist it would be a bad idea to remove the gamepad. The gamepad is here to stay.

You are trying to ignore the games that already make use of the gamepad just for your hypothetical idea.
    bobiroc likes this.

Not as bad as the wii U. With the wii u the whole media was over it, now almost not a peep.
    This has always been the case, when something happens with nintendo the media is all over it spinning it into a bad light, the competition ooh it can happen we ignore it.

I posted that nintendo was always been bashed since day one. The only reply you made was saying they were on top with the nes and snes, I proved they were bashed at that time as well and now your cop out reaction is this. Please try harder.

Banned
    Some people agree with me, you are just being selfish, I have seen others say they wish there was a pro only model for them, so yes there is an audience for this

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd
    we understand some people agree with you, so can you understand that some people don't?
    Kennyj likes this.
    feel free to add me

Yep I am being selfish by saying i think what nintendo does is the best option.

selfish
    ˈsɛlfɪʃ/
    adjective
    adjective: selfish
    (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

I think you have it the other way around. The people that want nintendo to cater to their own personal needs are the selfish ones.

Banned
    Keep telling yourself that because the pro controller is the preferred controller for a lot of people already, its better for serious gameplay like monster hunter or call of duty multiplayer. The gamepad is better for certain games but traditional core games are more comfortable with the pro, IMO and a lot of others

and who decides what these core games are .....
    and what are those core games those pro's are most comfortable with
    better question who are those pro's

Nintendo NID
    Julesimanerd

...the gamepad plays just like the pro controller...just with a screen in it and wider.
    bobiroc likes this.
    feel free to add me

Banned
    I don't need a pro only model or want one for me, I am looking out for the others who wish there was a pro only model, I have seen many people who want this, how is this selfish? YOU don't want a pro model for your personal reasons, Nintendo haters seem to bother you

Nintendo NID
    DooMed
    That's a backpedal statement. You said Nintendo should have a different SKU without the gamepad. Now you're saying you weren't serious? You tell someone to walk away from the thread, and you keep arguing with people about your op being a good idea. That's alot of posts and rebuttal for you to now say you weren't serious. Just sayin...
    bobiroc likes this.
    - I saw six men kicking and punching my mother-in-law. My neighbor walks over and says, "Are you going to help?" I said, "No, six should be enough." -

Nintendo ID: DooMed

3ds Friend Code:

Banned
    "wider" also the shape, many people will tell you the pro is better for serious gameplay for the traditional shape

lmao, why should I care about nintendo haters, they do not like nintendo and wouldn't buy a nintendo console even if it was the only system out there.

If people want to play with the procontroller be my guest that option is there for a lot of games, I just think it is a unwise business decision to cut out the gamepad, an idea you do not seem to grasp
    Yerba_Sutra likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast