• 2 Post By wu_wei_lion
  • 3 Post By The Cloud Strife
  • 1 Post By savinghyrule
  • 2 Post By Switch
  • 2 Post By Mr_Nick666
  • 2 Post By WoodenSaucer

Thread: Opinion: Sony's first party games prove that single player isn't dying

Opinion: Sony's first party games prove that single player isn't dying

Just wanted to preface this by saying the following is my opinion.

Lately, it's been thrown around mutiple times that "multiplayer gaming is the future" and "single player gaming is dying". I see other gamers say this, I see this on video game journalism websites, hell, even EA has come out and said this. And let me get on thing straight, muliplayer is certainly growing more and more with every year that passes. Between the likes of Call of Duty, GTA Online, Overwatch, PUBG, Fortnite and others, it's become a craze. Online multiplayer can be found in a variety of games these days from Dead by Daylight to Friday the 13th to Dying Light to Rainbow 6 Seige.

But the success of online multiplayer does not equate to a lack of interest in story driven, quality single player experiences. These days there's a good amount of franchises that have all but given up on single player or have, at the very least, put in on the back-burner. Too often, good multiplayer games, decide to throw in a shoe-horned single player mode for no good reason.

These days there are still games that focus solely (or mostly) on the single player experience; some include Resident Evil 7, the Batman Arkham series, Telltale's games, among others. But one publisher I think stands about the rest in quality single player games is Sony. First I just want to say, I'm not here to say Sony is the best publisher out there, but that they've shined especially in creating great single player titles.

The list is extensive but some examples include the Uncharted games, Horizion Zero Dawn, the Last Guardian, Bloodborne, the Last of Us, Until Dawn, Journey, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and Heavy Rain, and they don't seem to be stopping with upcoming titles like Detroit, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, the Last of Us Part II, and Erica. It honestly makes me happy to see a publisher put so much of their resources into single player games, and gives me hope that single player won't be going anywhere for a long time.

PSN: jFugs2394

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Good points. I’d also argue Nintendo is proof that single player isn’t dying (Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey)
    WoodenSaucer, jFug and aMarioFan64 like this.

Their story singleplayer games are dying though. (LOZ, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Fire Emblem (stories are getting worse)...watch Metroid 4 be a Battle Royale game)
    WoodenSaucer and aMarioFan64 like this.

That has nothing to do with the point being made. Just because you personally don't like the direction Nintendo went with the stories in those games doesn't make them any less single player experiences

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wu_wei_lion; 04-21-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    jFug and cThreep like this.
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    The day that single player games "die" is the day I give up gaming. I don't see that happening any time soon though, if ever. I'll even hop over to the dark side and join Woody on PC if that's what it took.

I play a few multiplayer games, but I 100% prefer the single-player experience. They would be crazy to give that up, as people continue to eat up these story-driven games. Just look at how high BotW and God of War are being rated.

I do like co-op games, but I also prefer them to have the single player aspect as well. Games like Dying Light and Resident Evil Revelations do this well. I don't like when they try to force it down your throat. I think Sony (and probably Nintendo) would fight extremely hard to keep single player games going. Another reason I love the PlayStation brand so much.
    WoodenSaucer, jFug and cThreep like this.

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Multiplayer gaming has been 'the future' since the last generation and it (thankfully) hasn't happened yet!

I don't believe single-player experiences will ever fully die off (since games are much better off as stories rather than blind shoot 'em ups, etc) but I do agree the rush towards MOBA's and battleground-style titles has definitely made a huge impact.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Seems most folks have a strong preference for either single player or multiplayer, and I'm just over here equally embracing both <3

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Stop being a weirdo. All games must be Battle Royales or RPGs, there's no other option!!
    WoodenSaucer and cThreep like this.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar

I'm slowly whittling away at your resistance.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    I rarely, if ever, play multiplayer games. For me it's all about the solo experience.
    WoodenSaucer and jFug like this.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Mr_Nick666 and jFug like this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity