• 2 Post By DeliciousMalk
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer

Thread: Gaming Laptop

Nintendo NID
    Satsedude
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NewbCentra1

Gaming Laptop

To start, I'm a complete noob when it comes to PCs, laptops, their parts and what they do. I wouldn't really be interested if my current laptop worked just fine. However, after it overheated and crashed on me twice just trying to play Payday 2, I've decided that I think it's time for me to look into possibly building my own gaming laptop/PC. I would want something ideally between $200-500. However, I don't need anything top of the line. At max, I would want something that could play Skyrim on high settings just fine. However, since I know there are quite a few PC enthusiasts around here, I figured I'd ask for advice.

My first question: is it even possible to build your own gaming laptop? Everywhere I've seen seems to suggest you can build your own gaming desktop, but I haven't seen laptop yet (maybe I haven't looked hard enough). Second, what parts would you recommend for a mid-tier gaming laptop?

P.S.: As an aside, I am not against learning what parts do what and their importance if it helps my decision-making.

Wii U NNID: Satsedude

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Isn't it better to buy a finished laptop?
    I only trust pros when putting together things. I used like half a day just to put together a wardrobe...
    Twitter: MatboksenYT
    Instagram: MatboksenYT

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

It is possible to build your own laptop but I don't recommend that at all. The form factor of it all is very impractical for anyone not physically engineering the thing themselves.

for a mid-tier gaming laptop I'd probably be looking at an i5 processor, at least 8GB of RAM minimum (pref 16, ram is cheap but laptop manufacturers really get you with that... 16 is much more future proof though) and any sort of actually dedicated graphics card inside, not integrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyward Sword View Post
    I don't understand why ppl play these games. They are boring as ****
    I rather play Just Dance for the rest of my lyf

Bye
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    In terms of kart racing modnation racers OWNS Mario kart.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Just some thoughts. Even though Malk said it's possible to build a laptop, that's not something anyone does. It's possible to go on a web site that does this and customize what you want from a few different options, but you don't just order all the laptop parts and put them together. When you hear about people building gaming PCs, it's only desktops.

Secondly, gaming laptops are a waste of money because they cost a lot and you usually end up with something inferior. You're usually better off getting a really cheap laptop for your mobile needs, and spending the rest of your budget on building a gaming desktop, unless you really need to take your PC games on the go.

But lastly, you're not going to get anything worthwhile for real gaming either laptop or desktop for $200-500. The sad truth is that you don't get into PC gaming to save money on hardware. For a decent gaming experience, you're going to spend more upfront, and then save money on the games and free online in the long run. That's not to say you won't be able to play any games on a $500 laptop, but you should look at it more as a bonus than an expectation.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    Satsedude
    Other Gamer IDs

So the general consensus is don't build a laptop. That sounds fair, but even though they may be a waste of money, the portability factor of a laptop vs. a desktop PC for gaming is too convenient to go without, especially considering I may be moving out in a few years. I'm not exactly looking for a powerhouse laptop, just something low-mid tier that could play indies and maybe games from up to 2010 or so. (Or that could at least run Payday 2 decently.)

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I got a laptop and spent £1000 on it (at the time that was $1700 cheers brexit)

After a month I realised why do I need a laptop? And it's never moved from being plugged into my tv in 5 years. Currently still going strong at 12 years old. Although i now have a new alienware alpha.

Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jpd0184
    Buy a Switch and a Chrome book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

Quote Originally Posted by Lemony Iced Tea View Post
    So the general consensus is don't build a laptop. That sounds fair, but even though they may be a waste of money, the portability factor of a laptop vs. a desktop PC for gaming is too convenient to go without, especially considering I may be moving out in a few years. I'm not exactly looking for a powerhouse laptop, just something low-mid tier that could play indies and maybe games from up to 2010 or so. (Or that could at least run Payday 2 decently.)

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
    About any new full laptop will be able to play 2D indies. And you'd probably be ok for games up to 2010 if you take Malk's advice. But you specifically mentioned Skyrim. I've heard of people running it barely playable at the lowest possible settings. This is pretty much what you'll be able to expect from a $200-$500 laptop.

Nintendo NID
    Satsedude
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    About any new full laptop will be able to play 2D indies. And you'd probably be ok for games up to 2010 if you take Malk's advice. But you specifically mentioned Skyrim. I've heard of people running it barely playable at the lowest possible settings. This is pretty much what you'll be able to expect from a $200-$500 laptop.

I figured Skyrim's a pretty old game, so a low-mid tier laptop could play it alright. Guess not haha. I can live without Skyrim on PC (considering we have it for PS4/360). I think I'd be fine with games up to 2010 for a decently priced gaming laptop.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemony Iced Tea View Post
    I figured Skyrim's a pretty old game, so a low-mid tier laptop could play it alright. Guess not haha. I can live without Skyrim on PC (considering we have it for PS4/360). I think I'd be fine with games up to 2010 for a decently priced gaming laptop.
    People complain about console graphics all the time, but honestly they are good value. You could build a PC much more powerful than a laptop in that price range though. I like laptops myself, but if it's what you really want I would try to save up for an Alienware or something. I think some of them can be found for less than $800 these days.

As for Skyrim, play it on the Switch foo!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    People complain about console graphics all the time, but honestly they are good value. You could build a PC much more powerful than a laptop in that price range though. I like laptops myself, but if it's what you really want I would try to save up for an Alienware or something. I think some of them can be found for less than $800 these days.

As for Skyrim, play it on the Switch foo!
    Yeah, if all you want is PC gaming, you could build something for $500-$800 that would easily outperform a laptop in the same price range.

Lenovo ideapad 310
    15.6 inch 1366×768
    AMD A12-9700P;
    AMD Radeon R5
    1TB 5400RPM/
    12GB DDR4

Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ArcticEagle21
    This right here

This is what you want.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834316078

This is the only post you need to pay attention to.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    This right here

This is what you want.

I hope he doesn't need one of his kidneys. Might not be the only thing he has to sale, either.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    This right here

This is what you want.

I'm buying two in case I lose one.

This right here

This is what you want.

The $44.69 shipping is a little too high.

Honestly, that laptop doesn't make a lot of sense. Why in the world would you need GTX 1080s in SLI if the resolution of the screen is only 2560x1080? It seems like a very high priced waste of resources to me. At least it has a 1TB SSD. I know you were joking with it, but it's a real thing that doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Inception likes this.

Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Honestly, that laptop doesn't make a lot of sense. Why in the world would you need GTX 1080s in SLI if the resolution of the screen is only 2560x1080? It seems like a very high priced waste of resources to me. At least it has a 1TB SSD. I know you were joking with it, but it's a real thing that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Future proof?

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: link16hit

woah
    but...this is an Acer, also the price is so insane

let me see the specs:

CPU: i7 7820HK. overkill for a gaming laptop, a i5 can do the job (4 cores instead of 8)
    GPU: 2x 1080 GTX on SLI (16GB) too insane 1 would be enough
    Monitor: 2560x 1080... yeah 1 is enough but curved..
    RAM: 64GB is too much, 32GB or even 16 is enough for gaming
    battery: 3 hours 8-cell?? they should have use a 12-cell.
    Storage : 1TB of SSD??! that's like 500$CAN for it. Forget it
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

For a lot of high-end gaming laptops they are aiming at people that normally play on-the-go, but can hook it up to different monitors and setups when they're home and have it act like a desktop. So it's designed for when they plug it in to 4k monitors and such

Quote Originally Posted by Link_16_hit View Post
    but...this is an Acer, also the price is so insane

let me see the specs:

CPU: i7 7820HK. overkill for a gaming laptop, a i5 can do the job (4 cores instead of 8)
    GPU: 2x 1080 GTX on SLI (16GB) too insane 1 would be enough
    Monitor: 2560x 1080... yeah 1 is enough but curved..
    RAM: 64GB is too much, 32GB or even 16 is enough for gaming
    battery: 3 hours 8-cell?? they should have use a 12-cell.
    Storage : 1TB of SSD??! that's like 500$CAN for it. Forget it

the
    i7 7820HK has only 4 cores, not 8. it has 8 threads due to hyperthreading

but yeah an overclockable processor in a laptop... generally a very bad idea

Last edited by DeliciousMalk; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:35 AM.
    WoodenSaucer and Inception like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyward Sword View Post
    I don't understand why ppl play these games. They are boring as ****
    I rather play Just Dance for the rest of my lyf

Bye
    In terms of kart racing modnation racers OWNS Mario kart.

Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousMalk View Post
    For a lot of high-end gaming laptops they are aiming at people that normally play on-the-go, but can hook it up to different monitors and setups when they're home and have it act like a desktop. So it's designed for when they plug it in to 4k monitors and such
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I think it's still probably mostly just for bragging rights, though. That CPU is pretty silly if it's meant mainly for gaming. You could achieve the same for way less. I will say that the sound system on it looks pretty cool for a laptop.
    DeliciousMalk likes this.

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: link16hit
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousMalk View Post

the
    i7 7820HK has only 4 cores, not 8. it has 8 threads due to hyperthreading

but yeah an overclockable processor in a laptop... generally a very bad idea

yeah I know i7 have 4 core physically... and 4 more if hyperthreading.
    it's overclockable?!
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I think it's still probably mostly just for bragging rights, though. That CPU is pretty silly if it's meant mainly for gaming. You could achieve the same for way less. I will say that the sound system on it looks pretty cool for a laptop.
    You know you want this god of gaming.