• 1 Post By Kukabuksilaks

Thread: Alienware alpha vs regular consoles

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ArcticEagle21

Alienware alpha vs regular consoles

Came across this video and it impressed me. This simple plug and play tiny PC can 60 fps all the big games. Note that this would be equivalent to the second tier config with the Radeon r9 and 8gb of RAM. The base model is lacking in the rams

The second tier is too rich for me but still, it's nice.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    I was looking at the i7 version. In the end I decided to build my own!

WoodenSaucer and Zeldatrek like this.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

The second tier is $750 normally but $599 on sale right now due to presidents day.

I think you could also just buy the first tier for the $500 and upgrade the RAM yourself too. The GPU is weaker but it's the ram that's really too little there. (4gb)

And note. You cannot build a PC the size of this thing. The premium paid is the size but even then you'll make back the money with steam sales and free multiplayer anyways. It kicks the crap out of a ps4 but is the size of a Wii
    Last edited by Glacier; 02-22-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    From the research I've done, I've seen that it's about on par with a PS4. You can get 1080p@60fps out of them, but that's with settings turned down. And there will be games that are not optimized where you can't expect to get that kind of performance out of it.

They're a good option if you don't want to build, and you want a console form factor. But they're not powerhouses, by any means. And just a tip for anyone thinking about one, spending the extra money on the i7 model is a complete waste. It's going to be bottlenecked by the inferior GPU. Just go with the i5 model.

But if you don't have to have a console form factor, you could build one much more powerful for the $750.
    Last edited by WoodenSaucer; 02-22-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    wu_wei_lion and Kukabuksilaks like this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Denmark, between tallyho-country and the muppets kitchen.
    Nintendo NID
    Va2ben
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: suddenworm
    I'd still just build a M-ATX pc, there's plenty of room for proper gpu's.

This is my M-ATX, it's and old pic but all I got here, its volume is smaller than x360 and ps3 (haven't compared to x1 & ps4 yet) and it's stackable.

If you can't build stuff, you're sol..
    Last edited by Kukabuksilaks; 02-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    From the research I've done, I've seen that it's about on par with a PS4. You can get 1080p@60fps out of them, but that's with settings turned down. And there will be games that are not optimized where you can't expect to get that kind of performance out of it.

They're a good option if you don't want to build, and you want a console form factor. But they're not powerhouses, by any means. And just a tip for anyone thinking about one, spending the extra money on the i7 model is a complete waste. It's going to be bottlenecked by the inferior GPU. Just go with the i5 model.

But if you don't have to have a console form factor, you could build one much more powerful for the $750.

All the games were on medium to ultra in the video, so basically ps4 graphics to PC graphics at 60 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    All the games were on medium to ultra in the video, so basically ps4 graphics to PC graphics at 60 fps
    It all depends on the game, though. The fact of the matter is that it's running on either a GTX 960, or a mobile 470x. It's pretty well known how capable those are. They're decent at 1080p, but nothing amazingly spectacular in this day and age.

But still, as long as your expectations are tempered, and you're not expecting an all out beast that is a PS4 Pro competitor, these things could do a person really well for gaming. The main thing is that the upgradability is severely limited. So you're basically stuck with what you buy, and when it's obsolete, you just have to buy something new. But for people who are used to consoles, I guess that's not an issue.
    Kukabuksilaks likes this.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

It all depends on the game, though. The fact of the matter is that it's running on either a GTX 960, or a mobile 470x. It's pretty well known how capable those are. They're decent at 1080p, but nothing amazingly spectacular in this day and age.

But still, as long as your expectations are tempered, and you're not expecting an all out beast that is a PS4 Pro competitor, these things could do a person really well for gaming. The main thing is that the upgradability is severely limited. So you're basically stuck with what you buy, and when it's obsolete, you just have to buy something new. But for people who are used to consoles, I guess that's not an issue.
    Im someone who would stretch out something like this. I am fine with 30 fps and settings toned down as long as it's not drastically different from medium

Even when the performance ends up being the same as consoles, you are still getting that much bigger game library,mods,freedom and no charge to multiplayer.

The alpha is marketed directly to console gamers, Alienware says it performs better than a console in games (true, because GTA 5 isn't 60 fps on ps4) in a console form factor with a controller you are used to.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

I seriously think you should buy one. It would do you a lot better for mainstream gaming than a lot of the other stuff you've looked at. If you get one, let me know how it works out for you. Does it still come with a controller?

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

I seriously think you should buy one. It would do you a lot better for mainstream gaming than a lot of the other stuff you've looked at. If you get one, let me know how it works out for you. Does it still come with a controller?

No way, I'd rather learn to build my own PC for $400 rather than pay $750 and be left out of the PC parts loop and be afraid to say I have an Alienware
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    Why though? If it's basically a PS4 I think he already has a PS4 so I would just stick with that!
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    Why though? If it's basically a PS4 I think he already has a PS4 so I would just stick with that!
    It's basically the same power level as a PS4, but it has other benefits. You can use it as a PC, too, plus it has access to Steam's huge library.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

It's basically the same power level as a PS4, but it has other benefits. You can use it as a PC, too, plus it has access to Steam's huge library.
    This is going to sound very douchey of me and I don't intend it to be, but are there really a ton of great Steam games that aren't on the consoles? The only reason I am asking is because I've never really seen anyone raving about too many PC exclusive games. I'm sure there's a ton and maybe it's just because I don't read up on PC much, but most games that I want from PC eventually come to PS4 these days it seems. Although there is a shit ton of BC games so you got me there.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Here's something that would work for me (bloody windows 10 included)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ndJdtJ

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

This is going to sound very douchey of me and I don't intend it to be, but are there really a ton of great Steam games that aren't on the consoles? The only reason I am asking is because I've never really seen anyone raving about too many PC exclusive games. I'm sure there's a ton and maybe it's just because I don't read up on PC much, but most games that I want from PC eventually come to PS4 these days it seems. Although there is a shit ton of BC games so you got me there.
    I personally want a PC for games that ARE NOT on console. I already play American truck simulator on my tablet and I love the game itself but I have to have the settings on low and the fps while playable, is below 30 fps in towns.

Here's some games I want a PC for

Cities skylines
    Planet coaster.
    American truck simulator
    Wreckfest
    Game dev tycoon
    GTA 5 for the mods
    Parkitect
    FTL
    Undertale

Plus I'd buy certain AAA multiplats over the PS4 version for better fps

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

I personally want a PC for games that ARE NOT on console. I already play American truck simulator on my tablet and I love the game itself but I have to have the settings on low and the fps while playable, is below 30 fps in towns.

Here's some games I want a PC for

Cities skylines
    Planet coaster.
    American truck simulator
    Wreckfest
    Game dev tycoon
    GTA 5 for the mods
    Parkitect
    FTL
    Undertale

Plus I'd buy certain AAA multiplats over the PS4 version for better fps
    I don't really know about any of those except truck simulator and of cours3 GTA V. Mods on GTA V I totally can understand. I almost built a PC just for GTA V mods because the one where you're a cop looks freaking awesome! But I realized there's a chance PS4/XB1 will eventually get those mods anyways since they're already rolling out some mods for the consoles.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

I don't really know about any of those except truck simulator and of cours3 GTA V. Mods on GTA V I totally can understand. I almost built a PC just for GTA V mods because the one where you're a cop looks freaking awesome! But I realized there's a chance PS4/XB1 will eventually get those mods anyways since they're already rolling out some mods for the consoles.

Those were just some examples. My memory would come back to me browsing steam some more.

Also I wouldn't really have a reason to choose a multiplat on ps4 if I had a PC that could run it better. The RX 460 in the build I posted is surely more powerful than a ps4 Slim's graphical capabilities. I'd probably wanna up the build to an i3 or i5 realistically if I'm looking at PC as a main platform and ps4 for the exclusives.

I'd love to build a PC. PC, PS4 and Switch would be an awesome combo. I don't have the money unfortunately.
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

If you're going for a lower-end gaming PC, then the last line is where the benefits are. You can still play all the older games, too. You don't have to rely on whatever Microsoft and Sony work out for backwards compatibility, or paying a subscription fee for streaming old games. If you buy a game, you're going to be able to play it for years and years, even if you upgrade your PC. I have a PC that will outperform Scorpio, yet I could play Halo: Combat Evolved from the original Xbox era on it if I wanted.

Plus yeah, there are a lot of games that are PC only. Most of them aren't going to be mainstream games, though. But I can play Xbox exclusives and some games that are PS4 console exclusives, like NMS and the new Shenmue. It's pretty versatile. If I support a video game kickstarter, I don't have to worry about them canceling because of generation changes or anything like that.

Here's something that would work for me (bloody windows 10 included)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ndJdtJ
    Please don't do that. Just save up your money until you can get at the very minimum an i3 6100 and a 470. Everything else is good, though. But some games have a minimum requirement of 4 cores, which the i3's 4 virtual cores satisfy. And I really don't think you'd be happy spending that money and being hampered by a 460.

Here you go. I swapped some parts out. I gave you an i3 6100. Slightly cheaper RAM that is the same speed and capacity. A 1TB 7200RPM HDD. A 470. I took out Windows. If you go get a $30 Windows 10 key from Kinguin, the price ends up being almost the same as what you had.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jB9Hbj
    Last edited by WoodenSaucer; 02-22-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    wu_wei_lion and Kukabuksilaks like this.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

If you're going for a lower-end gaming PC, then the last line is where the benefits are. You can still play all the older games, too. You don't have to rely on whatever Microsoft and Sony work out for backwards compatibility, or paying a subscription fee for streaming old games. If you buy a game, you're going to be able to play it for years and years, even if you upgrade your PC. I have a PC that will outperform Scorpio, yet I could play Halo: Combat Evolved from the original Xbox era on it if I wanted.

Plus yeah, there are a lot of games that are PC only. Most of them aren't going to be mainstream games, though. But I can play Xbox exclusives and some games that are PS4 console exclusives, like NMS and the new Shenmue. It's pretty versatile. If I support a video game kickstarter, I don't have to worry about them canceling because of generation changes or anything like that.

Please don't do that. Just save up your money until you can get at the very minimum an i3 6100 and a 470. Everything else is good, though. But some games have a minimum requirement of 4 cores, which the i3's 4 virtual cores satisfy. And I really don't think you'd be happy spending that money and being hampered by a 460.

Here you go. I swapped some parts out. I gave you an i3 6100. Slightly cheaper RAM that is the same speed and capacity. A 1TB 7200RPM HDD. A 470. I took out Windows. If you go get a $30 Windows 10 key from Kinguin, the price ends up being almost the same as what you had.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jB9Hbj
    Yeah I only did the first build to make the price look good. I said that I'd need an i3 realistically if I'm looking for a primary machine.

You know your stuff though :O. Your edit is better.

Denmark, between tallyho-country and the muppets kitchen.
    Nintendo NID
    Va2ben
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: suddenworm
    There's a lot of games that are only on win/mac/linux, but they're obviously not the ginormeous mainstream games (because them pubs need their dough ).

Many indies are making console ports nowadays, which imo is awesome, especially if they're getting portable with Switch.

One of my latest time swallowers that is pc-exclusive is Stellaris, but there's a ton. One of the reasons you probably don't hear about them is because discussions about them is on their steam page or on reddit.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

The $500 PC woody edited can play forza horizon 3. So I'd also have my most wanted Xbox game along with PC games

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

I can also search for a budget prebuild and look up if the parts can handle FH3 as a benchmark. Not everyone is interested in building a PC but surely there are plug and play options for more power per cost than the alpha but sacrificing that size

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    I can also search for a budget prebuild and look up if the parts can handle FH3 as a benchmark. Not everyone is interested in building a PC but surely there are plug and play options for more power per cost than the alpha but sacrificing that size
    I don't think I've known anyone else to pay so much attention to the physical size of gaming devices like you do. Are you extremely limited in space where you live?

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    alienware sucks tho
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    ‚Äčbooga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    I don't think I've known anyone else to pay so much attention to the physical size of gaming devices like you do. Are you extremely limited in space where you live?

If that was true then there would be no market for the alineware alpha or other console size PC's. Or the ps4 which is smaller than a Xbox one. Plus Japanese doesn't like huge consoles