Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer

Thread: Portable PC gaming for under $200? It's possible.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ArcticEagle21

Portable PC gaming for under $200? It's possible.

Hi yall ever since the switch was announced it got me thinking of other portable gaming options. Switch is a tablet with physical controls you can attach or use in kickstand mode. You can actually already do this on windows tablets and they'll run a lot of games. Steam has games for any level of hardware.

What you'll need is the tablet itself, a case that lets it stand and then a controller. If you have a xb1 or ps4 you can already use those controllers on windows perfectly. If you want to attach controllers on the side there is this https://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Telesco.../dp/B00RE6FMD8

What about the hardware? What small tablet can possibly run games for under $200? Well Mr. or miss I'm glad you asked. There are a lot of options out there. This one is very close to what I have in terms of specs

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...tID.5078216000

My 2 in 1 has the same or similar atom but double the ram. You'll still be able to play everything I do pretty much.

Here's the type of games you could expect to run:

Far cry 2
    Burnout Paradise
    Castle Crashers
    Brawlhalla
    Minecraft
    Skyrim (yes it'll run and there are various tweaks you can do)
    Fallout 3

No Witcher 3 at ultra 4k but there are thousands of games you can play and the hardware in that $150 tablet is better than a lot of people's computers believe it or not. Atom x5 has impressive graphics performance for what it is

You could also hook it up to a TV and play like a console. Sounds familiar :P, steam big picture mode is a bit of a mixed bag for me but it would work for just selecting games without using the desktop

If you want me to test a game I could if it's cheap enough. I'm trying to build a wide range of games to play to get an even better idea of the limits. Generally you can just look at the minimum requirements and base it off of games you already have to judge though.

It's a possibility yeah, but those are super old games...like Wii era.

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: link16hit
    Onda Obook 20 Tablet PC-151.76 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

check this out! Similar but having 4GB instead of 2GB!

but it's chinese....

my teacher had a cellphone from here 3 years ago and still working!
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    It's a possibility yeah, but those are super old games...like Wii era.
    Still have way better graphics than a Wii and there are a ton of newer games you can play as long as they aren't too demanding. I have some newer games installed too and plan to buy more games both old and new.

Quote Originally Posted by Link_16_hit View Post
    Onda Obook 20 Tablet PC-151.76 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

check this out! Similar but having 4GB instead of 2GB!

but it's chinese....

my teacher had a cellphone from here 3 years ago and still working!
    Yeah I wanted to link a Chinese one but I didn't want people to jump to conclusions. Good find though, the extra 2gb of RAM will provide a lot more headroom. It seems to be about a 10 inch tablet which provides a comfy experience but not as portable as a 8 incher which is closer to a 3DS or switch.

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    I think it is cool that you came up with all of this, but it's my opinion that nothing can run games as well as a console. They were designed specifically to play games. That's one reason I refuse to jump on board the "PC Master Race" train. I don't like tablets at all, I think there is no point when I could just buy a laptop instead. I do like Nintendo's "tablet" though of course. But that can run Nintendo games, which to me is the major drawback of something like this in your thread. Not to mention it wouldn't run current games well or at all.

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    I think it is cool that you came up with all of this, but it's my opinion that nothing can run games as well as a console. They were designed specifically to play games. That's one reason I refuse to jump on board the "PC Master Race" train. I don't like tablets at all, I think there is no point when I could just buy a laptop instead. I do like Nintendo's "tablet" though of course. But that can run Nintendo games, which to me is the major drawback of something like this in your thread. Not to mention it wouldn't run current games well or at all.

Steam is much bigger than Nintendo games. Some of the best games you can find are there and done require much hardware to run. As far as current games, I do play "current games" on mine. Switch isn't running battlefield 1 either.

The handfull of games switch can play vs the thousands of games you can play on windows. There's a lot of incentive to wait for the switch instead and pick up something that is cheaper and does a lot more. This wasn't me comparing anything to switch till this comment. I wanted to not go there and instead discuss something on it's own.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    The problem with Steam on these type of things is that people are going to think because it runs Windows and Steam, they can just buy whatever game they want, and they'll all work. Steam gives minimum requirements, but it's not very easy for the average person to know how an Atom processor and its integrated graphics stacks up against the standard CPUs and GPUs listed in their requirements.
    The Cloud Strife likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Do you feel it?
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    The problem with Steam on these type of things is that people are going to think because it runs Windows and Steam, they can just buy whatever game they want, and they'll all work. Steam gives minimum requirements, but it's not very easy for the average person to know how an Atom processor and its integrated graphics stacks up against the standard CPUs and GPUs listed in their requirements.

I don't think anyone is actually like that. Plus you can EASILY look up videos running games on an atom to see what it can and can't do. That's how I bought burnout paradise and I'm considering far cry 2.

plus this is a discussion about the thing itself and not consumers that buy battlefield 1 for a $150 tablet. when you talk about a car you don't worry about a random Joe killing themselves in a crash with it.

This is a great technical feat to be able to play steam games on ultra portable tablet pcs. Its something that would be impossible a decade ago and at a price comparable to a dedicated handheld.

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: link16hit
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    I don't think anyone is actually like that. Plus you can EASILY look up videos running games on an atom to see what it can and can't do. That's how I bought burnout paradise and I'm considering far cry 2.

plus this is a discussion about the thing itself and not consumers that buy battlefield 1 for a $150 tablet. when you talk about a car you don't worry about a random Joe killing themselves in a crash with it.

This is a great technical feat to be able to play steam games on ultra portable tablet pcs. Its something that would be impossible a decade ago and at a price comparable to a dedicated handheld.
    yeah but still Intel Atom is the cheapest CPU of intel! I cleaned one (portable was infected) and it's takes more times than others! (like 1h), but it was also a 5400RPM HDD. Also windows is heavy...
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,