Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Grimlock
  • 1 Post By Zeldatrek
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 1 Post By Zeldatrek

Thread: Here I go again

  1. #1
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek

    Here I go again

    Nothing too bad for now at least. I'm just having trouble with my oem capture device aka easycap the driver is not working in win 10. Worked fine in 7. I not sure if I should regress the OS, see if mt
    y 60Gb hd with the win 7 will boot. or trying on win8.1 pc. well those are my free options away unless you guys know of a good capture device for win 10.



  2. #2
    The ultimate newbie jrb363's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    10,188
    Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jrb363 PSN ID: jrb363 Steam ID: jrb363
    I'd just keep using Windows 7. I've heard nothing but issues from our IT team at work with regards to Windows 10 and general compatibility.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

    #ConsoleEquality

    Xbox One:



    Cloud Power!!!


    Wii would like to play with U

  3. #3
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    I'd just keep using Windows 7. I've heard nothing but issues from our IT team at work with regards to Windows 10 and general compatibility.
    yep that was my original plan but some how my display just kept flashing so I had to do a clean install. Can't capture video if I can't see anything right? Figured now would be the best time to to step up since I had not heard any complaints. No the warning came After the damage was done.

  4. #4
    Senior Member SpareChnge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Westbrook, ME
    Posts
    2,716
    Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge
    what kind of easycap you use? I have one, but my video quality sucks.


  5. #5
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    version 4.0a win 8 or just the basic USB 2.0

  6. #6
    Senior Member cThreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Utah, United States
    Posts
    5,940
    Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: c_threep
    I regret upgrading to Win 10. Been a nightmare getting my microphones to work, my speakers to work. Bleh. Finally got it all figured out, but the first few weeks were way annoying.

  7. #7
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Quote Originally Posted by cThreep View Post
    I regret upgrading to Win 10. Been a nightmare getting my microphones to work, my speakers to work. Bleh. Finally got it all figured out, but the first few weeks were way annoying.
    I here you on the speakers front. My surround just sucked still does depending on the program. But when testing the default config my PC/ AMD GPU no longer recognizes my receiver but goes recognizes my TV instead so for awhile I only had the two front speakers working or all the speakers with two channels right and left. I still think that the latter is the case. Well I'm going to BB today to see if my old boot drive still works. Now that I have all my driver ports on my mobo installed and being dual boot I might regress that way so I can at least get done what I need to.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    st. louis, mo
    Posts
    18,976
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Is that you, David Coverdale?

  9. #9
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    38,081
    I have Windows 10 on all of my computers, and have never had any problems with it. But if it's not working with your hardware, you're better off just downgrading to Win7 instead of wrestling with it.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9,448
    drew79 likes this.

  11. #11
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Hello and welcome to another necrobump!
    Ok no problem but I am soon upgrading my display to a 4k OLED. Thing is I'm not sure if the poor 5 year old Radeon HD 7800 will become too much of a bottle neck. So time for a new RX, another 7800 crossfire, or forget AMD and Switch to Nividia so it can play nice with my onboard mobo graphics chip?

    Sent from The Hidden Shrine of Salt

  12. #12
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    38,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldatrek View Post
    Hello and welcome to another necrobump!
    Ok no problem but I am soon upgrading my display to a 4k OLED. Thing is I'm not sure if the poor 5 year old Radeon HD 7800 will become too much of a bottle neck. So time for a new RX, another 7800 crossfire, or forget AMD and Switch to Nividia so it can play nice with my onboard mobo graphics chip?

    Sent from The Hidden Shrine of Salt
    No, don't do crossfire. You're not seeing many people do dual cards anymore. They're focusing on more powerful cards instead of dual cards now, so we're not seeing the driver and new game support for that that we used to. If you get another 7800, it will be a huge waste of money.

    What are the rest of your specs, and how much money do you have to spend on it?
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  13. #13
    Moderator GameNChick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    94,166
    Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    Crossfire is a good pc and board game
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    ‚Äčbooga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

  14. #14
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    No, don't do crossfire. You're not seeing many people do dual cards anymore. They're focusing on more powerful cards instead of dual cards now, so we're not seeing the driver and new game support for that that we used to. If you get another 7800, it will be a huge waste of money.

    What are the rest of your specs, and how much money do you have to spend on it?
    OS Win7/10 64 bit
    RAM Patriot PGD316G1333ELK Gamer 2 Series Desktop Memory Kit - 16GB (2 x 8GB), PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, XMP Ready

    CPU Type
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooling Fan with Heat Sink
    SKU: 1510328

    MSI Z77A-GD65 Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2667MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX Ready (M452-8418
    Antec Truepower Quattro 850w Power Supply
    'Need more? Also using Windows experience I'm sitting at 6.0 due to the graphics card at present.
    As far as budget I'm more interested in range options from cheapskate mid road pricey yet manageable to money is no object for my dreamer curiosity.

  15. #15
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    38,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldatrek View Post
    OS Win7/10 64 bit
    RAM Patriot PGD316G1333ELK Gamer 2 Series Desktop Memory Kit - 16GB (2 x 8GB), PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, XMP Ready

    CPU Type
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooling Fan with Heat Sink
    SKU: 1510328

    MSI Z77A-GD65 Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2667MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX Ready (M452-8418
    Antec Truepower Quattro 850w Power Supply
    'Need more? Also using Windows experience I'm sitting at 6.0 due to the graphics card at present.
    As far as budget I'm more interested in range options from cheapskate mid road pricey yet manageable to money is no object for my dreamer curiosity.
    Well, the whole problem is that video cards are insanely expensive right now because of the bitcoin mining thing. In some cases, you can actually buy a whole prebuilt computer for not much more than buying a video card, itself, because OEM computer companies get their GPUs at decent prices directly from the manufacturers, while we get ramrodded with insane prices for standalone cards. It's like the worst time ever to buy a video card, and I don't see that letting up any time soon.

    Here's an example. I bought a Geforce GTX 1070 when they came out for like $450, which I thought was too much at the time. Now, if you can even find them in stock, the cheapest you'll find one is $620, and most of them are going anywhere from $700 to $1000.

    Personally, the lowest I would want to go for a gaming GPU would either be a 6GB GTX 1060 or an AMD RX 580. They're similar in performance, and they both go at the cheapest for around $400. If you went below that to a GTX 1050 Ti, you're only going to be marginally better than the HD 7800 that you have, other than having support for more modern shaders and effects. If money is no option, get yourself a GTX 1080 Ti, ranging in price anywhere from $905 to $1900, if you can find one in stock. That doesn't mean it's really worth that kind of money, though. The market just sucks right now for GPUs.

    The rest of your system should still hold up fairly well, though. The CPU is getting a little old, but it should still do ok.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  16. #16
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    Well, the whole problem is that video cards are insanely expensive right now because of the bitcoin mining thing. In some cases, you can actually buy a whole prebuilt computer for not much more than buying a video card, itself, because OEM computer companies get their GPUs at decent prices directly from the manufacturers, while we get ramrodded with insane prices for standalone cards. It's like the worst time ever to buy a video card, and I don't see that letting up any time soon.

    Here's an example. I bought a Geforce GTX 1070 when they came out for like $450, which I thought was too much at the time. Now, if you can even find them in stock, the cheapest you'll find one is $620, and most of them are going anywhere from $700 to $1000.

    Personally, the lowest I would want to go for a gaming GPU would either be a 6GB GTX 1060 or an AMD RX 580. They're similar in performance, and they both go at the cheapest for around $400. If you went below that to a GTX 1050 Ti, you're only going to be marginally better than the HD 7800 that you have, other than having support for more modern shaders and effects. If money is no option, get yourself a GTX 1080 Ti, ranging in price anywhere from $905 to $1900, if you can find one in stock. That doesn't mean it's really worth that kind of money, though. The market just sucks right now for GPUs.

    The rest of your system should still hold up fairly well, though. The CPU is getting a little old, but it should still do ok.
    Well call me silly that is what I needed to hear to pull the trigger on bidding for a RX 580 on Ebay at 375 right now. I'm expecting a snipper any minute maybe I should hire Golgo 13 as insurance?

    Update got him at $410 not too bad but I might have gotten lower if I hadn't bid too early. Damn smartphones!
    Last edited by Zeldatrek; 03-13-2018 at 12:23 PM.

  17. #17
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    38,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldatrek View Post
    Well call me silly that is what I needed to hear to pull the trigger on bidding for a RX 580 on Ebay at 375 right now. I'm expecting a snipper any minute maybe I should hire Golgo 13 as insurance?

    Update got him at $410 not too bad but I might have gotten lower if I hadn't bid too early. Damn smartphones!
    Is it a 4GB one or 8GB? If it's 8GB, you definitely didn't get ripped off. They run higher. If it was a 4GB one, that's too bad because Amazon has one right now for $350 new.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXRLX3H/?tag=pcpapi-20

    Either way, it will do you a lot better. It will be a beast at 1080p, and run 1440p pretty well.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  18. #18
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    Is it a 4GB one or 8GB? If it's 8GB, you definitely didn't get ripped off. They run higher. If it was a 4GB one, that's too bad because Amazon has one right now for $350 new.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXRLX3H/?tag=pcpapi-20

    Either way, it will do you a lot better. It will be a beast at 1080p, and run 1440p pretty well.
    Don't worry it's 8 gb I gotta have my GeeBees

    my worry is the form factor well we'll see.
    Last edited by Zeldatrek; 03-13-2018 at 01:20 PM.

  19. #19
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    38,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldatrek View Post
    Don't worry it's 8 gb I gotta have my GeeBees

    my worry is the form factor well we'll see.
    Do you have a small board and case, or what? About the 8GB, yeah you still got a good deal. The cheapest new one I saw is like $480 or something like that.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  20. #20
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    Do you have a small board and case, or what? About the 8GB, yeah you still got a good deal. The cheapest new one I saw is like $480 or something like that.
    No my board is standard I just remember what a pain in the arse that was getting a cheap huge card for my old PC and then didn't fit. Since I got it from a failed bit prospector it also coming with an external card.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

  21. #21
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Well I got the card today and plan on installing after work so the card acclimate to room temperature.
    However there is one thing that worries me. It's clear that the previous owner did not know a thing about proper component care. He shipped it wrapped directly inside bubble wrap! I know there was no box but I know enough to store something like a GPU in a static proof bag. Considering I'm still on my first self built rig I'm still kind of a noob at this. What I do know is static kills and old fashioned bubble wrap creates static. So should I be worried? As soon as I opened the package I touched the end of the card while touching metal with my other hand first to hopefully discharge any static and put the card inside an old MOBO bag.

  22. #22
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    38,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldatrek View Post
    Well I got the card today and plan on installing after work so the card acclimate to room temperature.
    However there is one thing that worries me. It's clear that the previous owner did not know a thing about proper component care. He shipped it wrapped directly inside bubble wrap! I know there was no box but I know enough to store something like a GPU in a static proof bag. Considering I'm still on my first self built rig I'm still kind of a noob at this. What I do know is static kills and old fashioned bubble wrap creates static. So should I be worried? As soon as I opened the package I touched the end of the card while touching metal with my other hand first to hopefully discharge any static and put the card inside an old MOBO bag.
    I'd say it's probably fine.
    Zeldatrek likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  23. #23
    Salt on salt action Zeldatrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,573
    Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    I'd say it's probably fine.
    Yep you were right. The hardest part I had was remembering my win10 password.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •