Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 2 Post By bobiroc
  • 1 Post By hbeb9786
  • 1 Post By Glacier
  • 1 Post By Link_16_hit
  • 1 Post By Glacier
  • 1 Post By drew79

Thread: N64 looks kinda bad on my 4k TV

  1. #1
    Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    5,572
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hbeb9786

    N64 looks kinda bad on my 4k TV

    sad today as I tryed to play N64 - Golden eye on my 4K tv. I have the AV hookups on the amp so i need no converters but the image quality is just to stretched to make it work and when i set the TV to display it as is, it black boarders almost the entire screen and i see not much....

    sad day for me. I may have to invest $$ in an old CRT TV and hopefully get a few spare parts to rebuild it over time...



  2. #2
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    35,224
    Get a PC and emulate it in high resolution.
    Mr_Nick666, Tommy, Glacier and 1 others like this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  3. #3
    Do you feel it?
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    9,524
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: ArcticEagle21
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    Get a PC and emulate it in high resolution.
    This man

    He knows what's up.

  4. #4
    Lord of Awesomeness bobiroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Posts
    5,733
    Nintendo NID
    BOBIROC
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: BOBIROC Steam ID: BOBIROC
    Well it was meant for TVs in 480i resolution so it is expected. Does your TV have other modes? Some TVs have a classic game mode that is designed to help those old interlaced consoles look better. Still not perfect though. My LG TV has that and it makes the games on my SNES and N64 playable.

    Emulation is an option but there are risks involved in that. You have to be careful where you download from to avoid infection and also many internet providers monitor sites that offer illegal or questionably illegal material like games, movies and music so if you get caught downloading you could get a cease and desist letter from your ISP or worse legal action. They don't care if you own the console and cartridge or not. I have had friends get those letters.

    Another option is to get something that can enhance those old RCA inputs to HDMI high resolution output but something like that could cost some $$$. Especially if you want to get a good one. A friend of mine has that for all his classic consoles and I think he said the one he got from Japan cost him like $250.
    Link_16_hit and hbeb9786 like this.
    I brought the Awesome. What did you bring?

    Switch Friend Code
    - 2893-9606-9975
    NintendoID (Wii U) - bobiroc
    XBLive GamerTag - bobiroc
    SteamID - bobiroc
    3DS Friend Code - 1134-7717-4295
    Super Mario Run Player ID - 7352-6985-2096
    Anyone sensing a pattern here?


  5. #5
    Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    5,572
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hbeb9786
    Quote Originally Posted by bobiroc View Post
    Well it was meant for TVs in 480i resolution so it is expected. Does your TV have other modes? Some TVs have a classic game mode that is designed to help those old interlaced consoles look better. Still not perfect though. My LG TV has that and it makes the games on my SNES and N64 playable.

    Emulation is an option but there are risks involved in that. You have to be careful where you download from to avoid infection and also many internet providers monitor sites that offer illegal or questionably illegal material like games, movies and music so if you get caught downloading you could get a cease and desist letter from your ISP or worse legal action. They don't care if you own the console and cartridge or not. I have had friends get those letters.

    Another option is to get something that can enhance those old RCA inputs to HDMI high resolution output but something like that could cost some $$$. Especially if you want to get a good one. A friend of mine has that for all his classic consoles and I think he said the one he got from Japan cost him like $250.
    My TV is an LG and I did not spot that mode. I will have another look. the 1080p LG TV i had before this managed to get it just this side of ok. I may invest in another one just s I can keep on gaming with my older consoles.

    thanks for the reply.

  6. #6
    Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    5,572
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hbeb9786
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    Get a PC and emulate it in high resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    This man

    He knows what's up.
    Emulation is not really my thing. when I play a retro game. I want the look and feel of the game. that means it needs to render correctly or near as wit h the right controller in my hand.
    Rugmouse likes this.

  7. #7
    Do you feel it?
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    9,524
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: ArcticEagle21
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeb9786 View Post
    Emulation is not really my thing. when I play a retro game. I want the look and feel of the game. that means it needs to render correctly or near as wit h the right controller in my hand.
    https://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Nin.../dp/B008L3UUPS
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

  8. #8
    !miibos b!d Link_16_hit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada, Quebec (not the capital)
    Posts
    4,050
    Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Other Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: link16hit
    go get a S-video cable! I garanteed that the quality will be better than the yellow cable.
    jpd01 likes this.
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

  9. #9
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    35,224
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeb9786 View Post
    Emulation is not really my thing. when I play a retro game. I want the look and feel of the game. that means it needs to render correctly or near as wit h the right controller in my hand.
    There's nothing wrong with that. But you'll just have to deal with old tech not translating well.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  10. #10
    Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    5,572
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hbeb9786
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that. But you'll just have to deal with old tech not translating well.
    I know. I may try to find the old TV

    Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    5,572
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hbeb9786
    Thank you for the link

    Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Do you feel it?
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    9,524
    Nintendo NID
    BelowZero22 (3ds)
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: ArcticEagle21
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that. But you'll just have to deal with old tech not translating well.
    No you are doing it wrong, you need to tell him to play N64 games on a PC master race machine :O
    hbeb9786 likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member drew79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    st. louis, mo
    Posts
    17,008
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    N64 looks bad on everything.
    BROWN BRICKS likes this.
    Lunkhead.

  14. #14
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    35,224
    Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post
    N64 looks bad on everything.
    Looks better than NES and Genesis.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

  15. #15
    Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South West England
    Posts
    2,884
    According to my research your best bet is to pick up an old CRT TV! Or buy an AVR like I've got which will upscale and all sorts of cool sh*t!

  16. #16
    Senior Member drew79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    st. louis, mo
    Posts
    17,008
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    Looks better than NES and Genesis.
    Nope. About as good as Jaguar though.
    Lunkhead.

  17. #17
    Norwegian Viking Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,734
    Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Majora's Mask is a pretty good looking game, to be on the N64.
    Twitter: MatboksenYT
    Instagram: MatboksenYT

    NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •