Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Board Game Discussion/Recommendations

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dodgingcars
    Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    How else are you able to play games at work? Maybe it's a nursing home instead?
    After work we use the conference room to play games... I'm confused by your confusion.

Nintendo ID: kennyjohnson
    Nintendo 3DS: 4012-4819-5619
    Wii Fit U: Wii U Forums Gym Community: 2974-4499-2133

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyj View Post
    After
    Confused no more

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: c_threep
    Confused no more
    Dude, your new avatar keeps throwing me off. I keep seeing posts that I swear I didn't make.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DwideSchrude Steam ID: Rugmouse
    Wow, I haven't been keeping up with this thread much, but it's great to see their are some more people around here that are into gaming. I've gone on quite the board game binge recently, and we have been playing games at least once a week. Last Friday we played an epic game of Eclipse, which I just picked up for $50 from Target with their $10 off board game promotion (MSRP on the game is $100, so I think I got a hell of a deal).

After our playthrough, I can see why the game is ranked in the top 10 board games of all time over on Board Game Geek. Everything flows so well. For those that don't know, Eclipse is an epic space exploration and conquest game. You basically explore and colonize planets to generate resources (income, science, and production) and partake in epic space battles. You can research various technologies and upgrade your fleet of starships with more powerful ion cannons, better shields, and engines for faster travel....among dozens of others. Then you can take on other players in epic space battles to claim their territory (a simple, yet exciting dice mechanic is used for battles). You can also form diplomatic relations with other players with their own benefits.

The economy and technology trees are incredibly fun to play with, and they open up great strategic and tactical game play. The game is pretty heavy, and it took us a little over 3 hours to play our first game (although I'm sure it would be faster now that we know what we're doing. Hell of a game!

Now that I've played a wider variety of games...here's the games I have enjoyed the most.

1. Castles of Mad King Ludwig
    2. Eclipse (I've only played it once, but hot damn that was fun!)
    3. Tobago
    4. Ghost Stories/Samurai Spirit (both great co-op games, with Ghost Stories having a little bit more depth to it)
    5. Tokaido/Takenoko (absolutely love these two for a lighter game - great to introduce to 'non-gamers'
    Kennyj likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SpareChnge
    I have this game, and adding the spinner and mario does make it harder.
    Last edited by SpareChnge; 03-29-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Last Wednesday, our board game group at work played The Resistance. The mechanics of the game are somewhat similar to games like Werewolf and Mafia. In the game you play as the Resistance, a group of rebels against an evil empire, but there are (secretly) spies in your midst. Each player is dealt a character card to determine if they are a spy or part of the Resistance. At the beginning of the game, the spies reveal themselves to each other (in a heads down, eyes closed format), but no one else knows who the spies are.

The goal of the game is for the Resistance to have 3 successful missions (out of 5) or for the Spies to sabotage 3 missions. Each turn there is a leader (it passes clockwise) that will nominate 2-4 players to go on a mission. Everyone votes on their selection depending on who they think are spies/Resistance. If the mission is rejected, leadership passes. If the mission is approved, each player on the mission votes for the mission to succeed or fail. Resistance HAVE to vote for success, but spies can vote for success or fail. Those votes are done in secret (cards are passed and shuffled) so no one knows for sure who voted for what.

The fun of the game is the social aspect. Lots of accusing each other of being spies. Legitimately innocent people being accused and not trusted. If you have the right group, it's an absolute blast.

We played 3 rounds (it's a quick game) and everyone had a very good time. The nice thing is that it can accommodate large groups (it's for 5-10 players).

There are a couple expansions that add more to the game. There's also a King Arthur themed version (The Resistance Avalon) that is supposed to be very good.
    I've heard great things about The Resistance, but I have yet to play that game, or any bluffing game/traitor game for that matter. I think my group would love them though. Unfortunately I have to take a break from buying games if I want to stay married...lol

Kenny, I think you and your group would really like Sheriff of Nottingham. It has that bluffing component to it where players try to smuggle contraband into the markets of Nottingham. You can also bribe the sheriff so he doesn't look through your goods. It was recently demonstrated on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop series...you should check it out!

I'm all about some Scene It.
    I'm with you man but they quit making new ones.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rugmouse View Post
    I've heard great things about The Resistance, but I have yet to play that game, or any bluffing game/traitor game for that matter. I think my group would love them though. Unfortunately I have to take a break from buying games if I want to stay married...lol

Kenny, I think you and your group would really like Sheriff of Nottingham. It has that bluffing component to it where players try to smuggle contraband into the markets of Nottingham. You can also bribe the sheriff so he doesn't look through your goods. It was recently demonstrated on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop series...you should check it out!

Thanks. I saw that episode of Tabletop as well. It does look fun and I think our group would have a good time with the role-playing/bluffing part.

It's funny how addicting buying new games is, isn't it? I think my next purchases may be the expansions for Resistance and King of Tokyo. I have a huge Amazon wishlist -- though it's mostly just to keep track of games I've heard of and want to remember.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Just wanted to let everyone know that this Saturday, April 11, 2015 is International Tabletop Day!

International TableTop Day was founded three years ago as a way for the world to celebrate tabletop gaming together. Every spring, fans host thousands of events all over the world and every year, the event grows. TableTop Day 2014 was celebrated in 80 countries, over all 7 continents, and had over 3,000 events in total. 2015 is going to be even bigger!
    International TableTop Day

There are tons of events going on and the link provided will show you if there are any available in your area. Personally, I'm keeping things simple and inviting over a group of friends for an epic game of Eclipse - I'm hoping for a 6 player game...that would be amazing.
    Kennyj and cThreep like this.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

Amazon's Deal of the Day includes deals on a bunch of board games. Expires soon:
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=...82730_dotd_h_t

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Just bought a new card game, and it supposedly only takes about 20 minutes to play. I have been playing a lot of longer games lately (actually going to play another game of Eclipse on Saturday, so having something that's a bit lighter will be a nice change of pace. My collection doesn't have too many quick games that can be used to start off a game night, so I'm anxious for this one to arrive.

The game is called Kigi. The basic premise of the game is to create contiguous groups of like objects to score victory points. Each player starts with a tree trunk, and everyone will take turns drawing new branches from the pool of available offerings. After selecting a branch, a player can play the card on any other player's tree. The cool thing about this game is that there are very few rules as to how to place the branch legally.

1. It can only overlap one other card - you can place it anywhere along the branch, but your card cannot cover up two cards already placed.

2. The new card cannot cover up any 'features', such as bugs, flowers, etc.

Let's take a look at this simple example to get a better understanding of the scoring. Let's say the player just placed the card at the top of this tree. If you look at the features, you'll notice that the two connected cards both have pink flowers and yellow butterflies. This placement would score the player 7 points (1 point for each of the 3 pink flowers and 1 point for the 4 yellow butterflies). In this example the red flower type things would not score any points, because they are not in a contiguous group.

Once a player plays a card that scores 10 or more, that entire branch (including any off shooting branches anchored to that segment) are 'pruned' off the tree. These cards are set aside and placed by the player of the corresponding tree (not the player that necessary played the card). This is important for end game scoring, as there are a few other cards besides branches that are in the deck.

Commission cards will also appear while working your way through the deck. These cards are basically goals that the player's have to pursue to gain bonus points at the end of the game. For example, let's say a player takes the upper right card pictured above. If they are the player with the most bugs on their tree at the end of the game, they will score additional points. It is my understanding that only the player that selects the commission will be awarded the points, so if you fail to complete the commission, no harm done.

For a quick playing game, I can see a lot of room for some interesting decisions and some strategic play. Once I get the game and get a few plays in, I'll let you guys know what I think of it. It definitely looks like a neat little game though at first glance!

24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, California
    I played Monopoly with Skyward last night.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by capnjazz View Post
    I played Monopoly with Skyward last night.
    I can see him quitting a game like Monopoly. I bet he tried to roll the dice and it fell off the table 3 times in a row, so he flipped the table and went home.

That or he went to jail and rage quit because he didn't get to pass Go.
    savinghyrule likes this.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

Thanks. I saw that episode of Tabletop as well. It does look fun and I think our group would have a good time with the role-playing/bluffing part.

It's funny how addicting buying new games is, isn't it? I think my next purchases may be the expansions for Resistance and King of Tokyo. I have a huge Amazon wishlist -- though it's mostly just to keep track of games I've heard of and want to remember.
    So I ended up buying Sheriff of Nottingham. We played it last Wednesday. It was a lot of fun. Everyone who played seemed to really enjoy it. There's more strategy than you might think at first glance. For one, you want the Sheriff to think you're bluffing when you're not -- because they get fined when they check your bag. You may even offer a "weak" bribe to not check your bag to get them to check it so they'll pay the penalty. You also want to try sneaking in "legal" goods because you can only declare 1 good at a time, so add that extra bread you have to your load of apples. If you get caught, it's a small fine and a small loss.

Anyway, it's highly recommended and with many of these "social" games, it all depends on who you play with. The more you play up the "roles" the better the game in my opinion.

Since I've last replied, I've had a chance to play a couple new (to me) things:

Cosmic Encounter
    - I actually played this many many years ago in an older printing, but I didn't remember much so it was like a new experience. Fun game.

Regular Show Flux
    - Flux is a silly game where the rules are constantly changing depending on which cards you play. This is a a RS themed version. It was ok.. Not something I'd get excited about.

Love Letter: Batman - Love Letter is a simple deduction game. The goal is to have the highest valued card at the end of the round -- or to knock everyone else before then. It plays quick and its easy to learn. I got the Batman version for $6 on Amazon. It's a fun little game.

Epic Spell Wars - My wife picked this up for me on my birthday because we watched the Tabletop episode of it. It's a silly little game -- though there is some strategy in trying to put together some combos or to get your spells out first. This isn't a game I would have bought for myself, to be honest, but it's a fun filler game.

And now my son and I have gotten into Marvel Dice Masters. It's a fun deck-building game, or should I say "dice building" game. You pick your initial "team" and some additional powers... and then throughout the game you use "energy" to purchase these team members (dice). While it relies on dice rolls, the game has some similarities to Magic or Hearthstone in that you are attacking each other and using guys to attack and defend. Plus, the dice are really cool.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Hey Kenny - glad you were able to pick up Sheriff of Nottingham and your group is enjoying it. I am totally with you on the mind games going on around the table. They always bring a lot of laughs and good player interaction to game night. Two musts for me.

I think a lot of people really enjoy putting their goods into the little baggies and sliding them over to the Sheriff. That simple 'mechanic' gives me a feeling of trying to pull a fast one, mischievously sliding the back over to the player that's going to check it. It just makes the game feel very thematic and it's always fun to watch the reaction of the sheriff - both when they're right and wrong.

I'm super interested in playing Cosmic Encounter, and I've heard nothing but good things about Love Letter - I hear it is a staple filler game for many collections. So many games...so little money!

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

Went to the local Board Game convention (Strategicon GameX) on Sunday with my son. We didn't play much (it's hard w/ an 8 year old), but we did play 1 prototype, bought a neat card game (Sushi Go) and go to see a lot of cool stuff. They're doing another in September. I think I'll plan for 2 days -- one for me and one for my son and me.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

Picked up some new things recently:

Specter Ops - This is a very cool hidden movement game where 1 player plays as "the agent" who is trying to complete 3 objectives and escape before the "hunters" (all other players) can find him. The agent records his movement on a piece of paper and the rest of the players try to close in on him by having the agent either cross their line of sight, using equipment/special abilities, etc. I played as the agent against 3 hunters. I finished the 3 objectives but was killed before I could escape.

Dead of Winter - I just ordered this. It's a semi-cooperative game where you're trying to survive the zombie apocalypse (think walking dead). The twist is that someone on your team could secretly be a traitor who is trying to sabotage the group. . . What makes it even more compelling is that each player has a secret objective that often makes them look like they are a traitor. I just ordered this and haven't had a chance to play yet, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Coup - I played this a couple times at my game night and decided to pick up a copy for myself. It's cheap -- $10 and I had a $5 GC for Amazon. It's a bluffing game where you can say you have a card that allows you to take special actions -- even if you don't have that card. However, if someone calls you out you lose a "life" -- and after you lose 2 lives, you're out.

Bang the Dice Game - Another cheap one. I think it goes for $15, but I got it for "free" with some gift cards. This is a bit like King of Tokyo/Yahtzee meets The Resistance. Each player has a hidden role (except the player who is the Sheriff) and each role has a win condition -- the Outlaws need to kill the sheriff, the deputies need to protect the sheriff (kill the outlaws and renegades) and the renegade(s) has to be the last man standing (he must face off against the sheriff and then kill the sheriff).

Black Fleet - I got this awhile ago, but didn't mention it. It's a "pick up and deliver" game where you control a merchant ship and a pirate ship -- and all players control 2 neutral navy ships. It's a bit like rock, paper scissors -- pirate ships beat merchant ships, and navy beat pirate ships. You're using your merchants to pick up goods and deliver them, using your pirate ships to steal goods from other merchants, and using the navy ships to sink pirates!

My son and I have also recently played a couple games of Heroscape. This is a game my wife and son found at a garage sale for $5. This is out of print and fetches a lot of money online. They lucked out. It's also a lot of fun. It's a tactical minis game -- but with simple rules and very cool terrain and characters. The premise is that you control heroes from all parts of time and space (Ninjas, Roman soldiers, demons, elves, modern military units, spies, etc.). You move around this multi-level hex terrain and try to complete your objectives (kill your opponent, capture the flag, etc.) Good stuff.

I've also had a chance to play a few other things recently:

Blood Bound - A bit like resistance with a vampire theme. The art is atrocious, but the game is pretty fun. You're a member of either the red or blue faction and you're trying to kill the leader of the opposing team -- except most of the information is hidden at the beginning of the game and slowly starts to be revealed as people attack each other and take "wound tokens"

Spyfall - I only played a web version on my phone (but with people in the same room), but the physical card game was released recently. It's another deduction/hidden role game sorta like The Resistance. In this game everyone gets a card with a location on it (the same location) except one player that gets a card saying they're the spy. The spy needs to figure out what the location is and the rest of the players need to out the spy. The game is played by everyone asking each other questions -- but asking in a way to not reveal the location to the spy, while still making it obvious to other players that you know where the location is.

Dixit - This game has been out for awhile, but I just recently played it. It's sorta like Apples to Apples with pictures. One player takes a card with a surreal picture on it and gives a clue. Everyone else tries to find a card in their hand that best matches that clue. Then all the cards are placed down and everyone votes on which card they think was the original. The trick is that the "dealer" wants someone to pick his card -- but he doesn't want everyone to pick his card -- so there's a balance in trying to be obvious enough that your card is picked by someone but vague enough to not have everyone pick your card.

Lanterns - This is a tile laying/set collection game -- where you are playing tiles with colored lanterns on it -- trying to match colors without giving your opponents the colors they need. Matching colors gets you cards to build sets (i.e. 4 red lanterns or 3 pairs of lanterns, etc.). I played it as a 2 player -- I think it'd be better with more.

Time N Space - This is a real time game (played in real time over 30 minutes). Your producing goods and delivering them to other players. The trick is that you need to (in real time) produce goods, request goods, deliver goods, or upgrade your stuff by setting 2 timers on the board that count down (about a minute). You can't take your action until the timer ends. It's very hectic trying to see what your opponents are requesting, seeing what others are producing, and trying to get everything out to each player. I'm not a big fan of real time games -- I like to have time to think and plan -- but this was alright.
    Last edited by Kennyj; 06-29-2015 at 09:44 PM.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Played my first Feld the other day, Trajan, which has a really cool Mancala-like action selection mechanic that you have to work around so you can execute your plan. There's a billion ways to score points in this game (much like many of Feld's games, I gather), so I was a bit lost when it boiled down to it. Towards the end of the game, I realized that I spread myself too thin and should have specialized in one or two different actions (that's what my opponent did and he absolutely massacred me). I really want to get another play in with this one. The mancala mechanic was actually VERY cool and I enjoyed the actual gameplay a great deal - it just took me too long to figure out how I wanted to play.

(you can see how this could get a bit overwhelming...haha)

On the lighter side of things, I picked up a few games that play well with higher player counts. Up until this point I only had Samurai Spirit and Tsuro of the Seas that could support 6 or more. Now I've added a couple games that bring more of a party vibe to the table.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - This is a social deduction game for 3-10 players where everyone around the table has a hidden role. The table is split into two 'teams' - the Villagers and the Werewolves. The idea of the game is to try and deduce who might the Werewolves be, but beware, the werewolves will be trying to bluff there way out of being lynched! At the end of each play, there will be a vote. Whoever gets the most votes will be lynched - if a Villager dies, the werewolves win, and vice versa. I played a few rounds of this game, and it was an absolute blast! Each role learns a piece of information and the trick is to figure out the opportune time to reveal that information so the table can vote on the correct player.

For example, The Seer is able to look at another player's card, or two cards that are in the center of the table (3 cards are not assigned to any player to introduce some randomness). So the Seer 'knows' what someone else is playing as, and can potentially catch that person in a lie if they try to pull a fast one. HOWEVER - there are roles that actually SWAP player roles such as the Troublemaker (swap two other player's roles) or the Robber (Switch your card with someone else's). There's even a villager that hates his job so much, that he WANTS to die (Tanner)! It's an interesting puzzle to try and make yourself look like a werewolf, without being too obvious to raise suspicion that you are actually the Tanner.

The game plays in about 10 minutes, so it is great for a filler game to get things moving, or I've found that it gets better and better through repeat plays, as you get a better sense of when you should give out your information or whether a well-timed bluff is prudent. Two thumbs way up from me!

Here's a little video of a sample playthrough with annotations on what each player is thinking at the time. Pretty cool.

I also bought Dixit, partially from your little summary, Kenny. I always thought Apples to Apples was missing something, and the idea of being able to interpret a picture and create your own clues really adds something to the formula. Plus, the fact that you want to be vague enough so not everyone guesses your card adds a bit of 'game' to it. The scoring makes the game less about who knows the most inside jokes. I'm going to be playing this one for the first time tonight!
    Kennyj likes this.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

Feld games scare me. :-) Most of the gaming I've been doing has been fairly light. Those heavy euros give me a bit of anxiety. Though, to be honest, I don't know how heavy Trajan is.

I've been curious about One Night. We've played The Resistance about a dozen times and that's been a group favorite. It's really good with large player counts, too.

If you want something a little heavier that works well with high player counts, check out 7 Wonders. That's a really good game and plays up to 7 easily without adding a lot of down time (everyone plays their cards simultaneously).

If you like Dixit, check out a game that is coming out soon (it's already out in Europe) called Mysterium. It's basically Dixit meets Clue. 1 Player is a "Ghost" and the rest of the players are Mediums -- and you're giving them clues in their "dreams" by using Dixit-style cards -- to try to lead them to the person, place, and thing. I think it plays up to 7.

There's some 6 player games I've been looking at that aren't party games: Eldrich Horror, Betrayal at House on the Hill, FlashPoint, Colt Express, Diamonds (a trick taking game), Level 7 Omega Protocal.

I think my next big (i.e. expensive) game will likely be Imperial Assault. I'll have some Amazon credit soon, and I may pick up either Dixit or Diamonds.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Feld games scare me. :-) Most of the gaming I've been doing has been fairly light. Those heavy euros give me a bit of anxiety. Though, to be honest, I don't know how heavy Trajan is.

I've been curious about One Night. We've played The Resistance about a dozen times and that's been a group favorite. It's really good with large player counts, too.

If you want something a little heavier that works well with high player counts, check out 7 Wonders. That's a really good game and plays up to 7 easily without adding a lot of down time (everyone plays their cards simultaneously).

If you like Dixit, check out a game that is coming out soon (it's already out in Europe) called Mysterium. It's basically Dixit meets Clue. 1 Player is a "Ghost" and the rest of the players are Mediums -- and you're giving them clues in their "dreams" by using Dixit-style cards -- to try to lead them to the person, place, and thing. I think it plays up to 7.

There's some 6 player games I've been looking at that aren't party games: Eldrich Horror, Betrayal at House on the Hill, FlashPoint, Colt Express, Diamonds (a trick taking game), Level 7 Omega Protocal.

I think my next big (i.e. expensive) game will likely be Imperial Assault. I'll have some Amazon credit soon, and I may pick up either Dixit or Diamonds.
    Trajan is pretty heavy, but you're doing the same thing on your turn every time - dropping little cylinders in mancala trays to execute one of 6 different actions. The heaviness comes into developing a strategy to properly execute what you want to do, what actions to focus on, and manipulating the trays to score bonus tiles (if you have cylinders that match the colors of the tile in the action tray you want to execute, you get that bonus - see above picture). Like I said in my previous post, I caught on to what I was supposed to be doing probably half way through the game. Now that I know what is going on, I don't think the game is all that daunting, it just takes a game to really get the feel for everything.

I was VERY close to picking up Imperial Assault the other day. It was marked down to $50 and that is a price point that I thought I'd be able to stomach for that type of game - but ultimately I passed on it. The thing is, I really don't know if I'd enjoy those miniature based dungeon crawly type games. To me, there doesn't seem to be enough real decision making in those types of games. After everything I've read, I feel like it is all about running through set campaigns and all you do is move your squads around the board and roll dice to attack the other player (although I LOVE rolling dice). All I hear about the game is extremely positive, so I'm sure I'm missing something. Have you played any games in the genre?

Actually, I was very close to buying Betrayal at House on the Hill due to that game having so many different events that can trigger and the fact that you have no idea whether you'll be the traitor or not until it actually happens. To me, that formula sounds like it has more staying power than just running a set campaign over and over.
    Kennyj likes this.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

I haven't played Imperial Assault or Descent, but based on what I've heard, I believe it's got more strategy and tactics than you give it credit for. I believe your decisions are pretty meaningful to the outcome of the game. For one, I've heard complaints from both sides that the otherside is overpowered (if they're both sides are complaining, then it's probably pretty balanced) -- and for people to even speak of one side being OP, it means that decisions have to matter greatly. I know Rodney on Watch it Played (YouTube) has done a series of videos on Descent. I've watched the overview. I sorta want to watch the play through, but the vids are long and I haven't had time.

But I'm a big fan of narrative and theme in games (even my video games), so automatically these appeal to me.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

But I'm a big fan of narrative and theme in games (even my video games), so automatically these appeal to me.
    I am too...in fact I generally dislike games are just a bunch of different mechanics that the designer slapped some generic theme on as an afterthought. Honestly, most Feld games feel like that to me from what I've seen. Trajan at least gave me a feeling that I was some political figure swaying different groups of people to take the action I wanted (the mancala stuff), but I had to stretch for that...haha

Even though Tokaido is very simplistic, I really feel like I really went on an eventful journey. Treasure hunting comes alive with Tobago and constructing a grand, albeit whacky, castle in Castles of Mad King Ludwig always makes me smirk - especially when visitors would go down a staircase only to find a bottomless pit!

I'm not ruling out Imperial Assault by any stretch. I've heard the campaigns do have some good story behind them, and things change depending on which team prevails in each scenario. I'm more worried that if I do pick the game up, I won't be able to stop myself from buying every single character pack that comes out. Maybe I'll try to go to the local Fantasy Flight Game Center. I'm sure they have a copy available for demo.
    Kennyj likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Snatched up La Granja, Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary, and Bang! The Dice Game to round out my order for free shipping.

I need to get more plays in for these games, but I will definitely prepare a thorough run-down of La Granja, since that game has easily made it into my top 5 board games after only 2 solo plays and 1 4-player game. Basically it is a farming game where you are producing, upgrading, and delivering farm goods to a local market and you'll be competing with the other players for market stalls. It's thematic, has great implementations of its mechanics (the card play and dice drafting for action selection is incredibly fun). This could possibly jump to my #1 favorite game with more plays.

In Dungeon Lords, each player is a dungeon keeper trying to impress the Ministry of Dungeons enough to be rewarded their Dungeon Lord license. The first phase you'll be improving your dungeon using a worker placement mechanic, filling your dungeon with traps and monsters, and hiring more imps to dig tunnels and add rooms. But all this hard work can go away in an instant because at the end of each year, adventurers from the local village will set out to show the world they are the bravest in the land, and want nothing more than to conquer and plunder all the riches you've amassed. It's a really interesting puzzle, trying to limit the damage the adventurers do to your dungeon, and is governed by some really interesting stuff, in that the strongest adventurers will be attracted to the dungeon lord that is the most evil! Thieves make your traps less damaging, Healers will obviously heal their compatriots of the damage you inflict with your monsters, and if you're evil enough - you'll even attract the attention of the mighty Paladin, which has the strength of an entire adventuring party all by himself! Scary!
    Kennyj likes this.

Nintendo NID
    kennyjohnson
    Other Gamer IDs

I went to Strategicon in Los Angeles (tabletop gaming convention) a couple weeks ago. I got to play 2 games of Descent while I was there and I loved it! But even the guy running the game told me to get Imperial Assault instead if I like Star Wars. I just ordered it from Amazon. I'm very excited -- but yeah, I'm already looking at what else I want to buy with it! Luckily, I've been doing the whole points for surveys, etc. thing and I actually bought Imperial Assault with gift cards I earned from doing that. It's feeding my addiction... ummm hobby.

I also played a game called Paperback while I was there. It's a deck building spelling/word game. Think Dominion meets Scrabble. It was awesome. I liked it so much I've put in an order at the designers website. It should be shipping next month.

I've also recently played 2 games of Risk Legacy. If you're not familiar, Risk Legacy took the basics of Risk and added a campaign to it where you permanently change the game by writing and putting stickers on the board, ripping up cards, etc. It's also streamlined Risk -- so you don't need to eliminate everyone to win. There's a 4-point victory condition that makes games go faster and with less likelyhood of player elimination.

I'm now looking to start rounding out my collection. I have a lot of great light gateway games -- which is good for the people I usually play with. Adding Imperial Assault is my first step. I also have Dead of Winter. I'm thinking of throwing in another thematic game like Eldritch Horror -- and I still want Mice and Mystics for my son.

Then I want to look at getting some more euro-style games. Most heavy euros don't appeal to me, but I like Catan and Ticket to Ride. I'm looking for something heavier than those -- maybe Five Tribes or Lords of Waterdeep.
    Rugmouse likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

Well, it has been years since I've posted in this thread, but I'm still a huge fan of board gaming. I wanted to bump this thread to let everybody know about a pretty unique card game that launched on Kickstarter today. This designer is a great guy, and I've loved pretty much everything he's published, which includes Cry Havoc, Hocus (I wrote about it in this thread!), and Farmageddon, among other passion projects.

Today he launched his Solstice kickstarter, which blends drafting with deception and manipulation. The art looks fantastic and the gameplay looks like something right up my alley. I love high player interaction in games! Plus, I think the art is amazing!

Here's a How to Play video as well, for those actually interested:

Link to Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-4/description
    Last edited by Rugmouse; 03-08-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Labyrinth is fun hihi
    Rugmouse likes this.
    Twitter: MatboksenYT
    Instagram: MatboksenYT

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12