Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Updated: Why Nintendo Switch will get a hardware upgrade

Updated: Why Nintendo Switch will get a hardware upgrade

drew79 likes this.

Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

Interesting video to be sure. And if they do a hardware refresh in 2021 or 2022 like they theorize I doubt many people will complain. Heck, I think they'd be smart to do one in 2020, since that seems like a likely time for the hardware sales to start to slow down.

Either way I don't really care about an X2 version since like they say that won't be too much of an upgrade, but I'm kind of excited to see what they'll do with the real next gen tegra chip.
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Nvidia should hurry up and make 4K mobile chips.
    Twitter: MatboksenYT
    NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jrb363 PSN ID: jrb363 Steam ID: jrb363
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    Interesting video to be sure. And if they do a hardware refresh in 2021 or 2022 like they theorize I doubt many people will complain. Heck, I think they'd be smart to do one in 2020, since that seems like a likely time for the hardware sales to start to slow down.

Either way I don't really care about an X2 version since like they say that won't be too much of an upgrade, but I'm kind of excited to see what they'll do with the real next gen tegra chip.
    2020? So, within about 2 years? No way! If they replace the Switch with Switch 2 in only 3 years I can see folks getting bent out of shape and it potentially killing their momentum and good will. It would be a revision just to do one because the system doesn't need to be any larger (like the DS XL units), going smaller doesn't help them since it's in the 'sweet spot' size already and the tech it's based on wouldn't have fundamentally changed in 3 years.

I think waiting a solid 5 years and going for a 1080p system (with 4k scaling tech when docked) with the Tegra X3 chip would be their best bet. That way battery tech (really the only issue the Switch has at the moment) will continue to advance. Battery tech for a system like the Switch is more important than power, resolution or size...and that takes time.
    drew79 likes this.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    2020? So, within about 2 years? No way! If they replace the Switch with Switch 2 in only 3 years I can see folks getting bent out of shape and it potentially killing their momentum and good will. It would be a revision just to do one because the system doesn't need to be any larger (like the DS XL units), going smaller doesn't help them since it's in the 'sweet spot' size already and the tech it's based on wouldn't have fundamentally changed in 3 years.

I think waiting a solid 5 years and going for a 1080p system (with 4k scaling tech when docked) with the Tegra X3 chip would be their best bet. That way battery tech (really the only issue the Switch has at the moment) will continue to advance. Battery tech for a system like the Switch is more important than power, resolution or size...and that takes time.
    It wouldn't be a Switch 2. It would be the Switch's equivalent to the PS4 Pro/Xbox One S/Xbox One X. Everything would be playable with the original version, but you'd get better framerates and resolutions with the newer one. They even make a good point that a lot of Nintendo's first party games and even some third party ones use resolution scaling. Since that's the case they wouldn't even need to patch the game to see benefits.

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: link16hit
    so..Tegra X2?

anyway, IF there is intention of doing it then I'll buy it...I still don't have a Switch that's why.
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

Why would we need a hardware upgrade when all we get are Wii U ports amirite? :P
    WoodenSaucer and drew79 like this.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3997-7816-3766

3DS Friend Code: 0533-8845-6374

Steam ID: Max_Lazy_10

PSN ID: Max_Lazy_10

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I don’t give a shit about the power. Knock $50 off the price or lose the retarded joycons on throw in a decent pack in game.

Original games would be nice too.

I already bought those WiiU games Nintendo. Go f%*# yourselves.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    They already did that with the Wii U.

It wouldn't be a Switch 2. It would be the Switch's equivalent to the PS4 Pro/Xbox One S/Xbox One X. Everything would be playable with the original version, but you'd get better framerates and resolutions with the newer one. They even make a good point that a lot of Nintendo's first party games and even some third party ones use resolution scaling. Since that's the case they wouldn't even need to patch the game to see benefits.
    This will happen. The Switch is powerful for a handheld but wants to run console games that will become incresingly more demanding. If it wants to keep third party support and AAA titles, opposed to indies, it's going to need an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post
    I don’t give a shit about the power. Knock $50 off the price or lose the retarded joycons on throw in a decent pack in game.

Original games would be nice too.

I already bought those WiiU games Nintendo. Go f%*# yourselves.
    This too.
    WoodenSaucer and drew79 like this.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Before we get too caught up in this rumor, lets remember what Nintendo actually said recently. They said they're going to extend its life with accessories, not hardware upgrades. They weren't talking about short term, guys. You don't need to extend a device's life a year after it launches. Sorry, but this upgrade thing is bull crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nick666 View Post
    This will happen. The Switch is powerful for a handheld but wants to run console games that will become incresingly more demanding. If it wants to keep third party support and AAA titles, opposed to indies, it's going to need an upgrade.
    They want to run AAA games with a weak handheld, then extend its life with "accessories" probably even after the PS5 comes out and the powerful XB1X is becoming MS's flagship.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    They want to run AAA games with a weak handheld, then extend its life with "accessories" probably even after the PS5 comes out and the powerful XB1X is becoming MS's flagship.
    Which is when the games will stop. Is this point too far away? I see the new WWE game runs like crap on the Switch. Some will argue they were too lazy to optimise it but that costs time and money.

We're a year in and there's nothing really of note on the Switch, bar Mario.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nick666 View Post
    Which is when the games will stop. Is this point too far away? I see the new WWE game runs like crap on the Switch. Some will argue they were too lazy to optimise it but that costs time and money.

We're a year in and there's nothing really of note on the Switch, bar Mario.
    If Nintendo would put something out with comparable power, devs wouldn't have to be too lazy to specially optimize for Nintendo's stuff.

If Nintendo would put something out with comparable power, devs wouldn't have to be too lazy to specially optimize for Nintendo's stuff.
    Amen. Brother.

Before we get too caught up in this rumor, lets remember what Nintendo actually said recently. They said they're going to extend its life with accessories, not hardware upgrades. They weren't talking about short term, guys. You don't need to extend a device's life a year after it launches. Sorry, but this upgrade thing is bull crap.
    It's not really a rumor, just Digital Foundry theorizing. And I see their point, I don't see how the current switch is going to last for more then 5 years. But they also mention that since the Switch is already using an older SoC that runs on an older process eventually the factories that make them are going to leave the 20nm process behind, and at that point they'll pretty much have to switch to something else.

It's not really a rumor, just Digital Foundry theorizing. And I see their point, I don't see how the current switch is going to last for more then 5 years. But they also mention that since the Switch is already using an older SoC that runs on an older process eventually the factories that make them are going to leave the 20nm process behind, and at that point they'll pretty much have to switch to something else.
    I see their point, and the need, as well. I just don't believe Nintendo is going to do it. When is the last time Nintendo used our advice?
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

I see their point, and the need, as well. I just don't believe Nintendo is going to do it. When is the last time Nintendo used our advice?
    I dunno if they could keep the current gen switch for 6 or 7 years. I think they'll go the smartphone/Xbox One upgrade system, and the Tegra will make that easier. So while the current Switch will might last 7 years, there will be a new one in 5.

I dunno if they could keep the current gen switch for 6 or 7 years. I think they'll go the smartphone/Xbox One upgrade system, and the Tegra will make that easier. So while the current Switch will might last 7 years, there will be a new one in 5.
    Look how long they've kept the 3DS going without any significant upgrades. Sure we got the "new 3DS," but the hardware upgrade wasn't really significant at all. All the games were still crappy 240p.

My point is that they'll find other ways than upgrading hardware to extend its life. They've already said that's exactly what they're going to do. They're not in competition. They're just using the first couple of years worth of some AAA games on the Switch to hook people and become popular, and then they're going to start shoveling out a bunch of Labo and exclusive handheld games.
    Mr_Nick666 and drew79 like this.

Look how long they've kept the 3DS going without any significant upgrades. Sure we got the "new 3DS," but the hardware upgrade wasn't really significant at all. All the games were still crappy 240p.

My point is that they'll find other ways than upgrading hardware to extend its life. They've already said that's exactly what they're going to do. They're not in competition. They're just using the first couple of years worth of some AAA games on the Switch to hook people and become popular, and then they're going to start shoveling out a bunch of Labo and exclusive handheld games.
    True, but the 3DS has the line of upgrade referred to here. A handful of exclusives, and general better performance for everything else.

True, but the 3DS has the line of upgrade referred to here. A handful of exclusives, and general better performance for everything else.
    Yeah, but the Switch was already weak the day it launched compared to the competition. If a comparison of the new 3DS is the extent of what we're talking about here (something that won't cause fragmentation), then that kind of a bump will do absolutely no good at all towards meeting this need we're talking about. Nintendo knows that, and that's why they are saying they're going to do other things, and not a hardware upgrade.

Yeah, but the Switch was already weak the day it launched compared to the competition. If a comparison of the new 3DS is the extent of what we're talking about here (something that won't cause fragmentation), then that kind of a bump will do absolutely no good at all towards meeting this need we're talking about. Nintendo knows that, and that's why they are saying they're going to do other things, and not a hardware upgrade.
    The X2 would be a pretty similar upgrade. We aren't talking about a real Switch 2. Just a new/1.5 version.

With how well devs are doing with the base Switch hardware a X2 version would probably be enough to get game like Doom/Odyssey/BotW to run at their targeted resolutions with a more consistent framerate

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    we just need funky barn
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

The X2 would be a pretty similar upgrade. We aren't talking about a real Switch 2. Just a new/1.5 version.

With how well devs are doing with the base Switch hardware a X2 version would probably be enough to get game like Doom/Odyssey/BotW to run at their targeted resolutions with a more consistent framerate
    I know, but you're thinking in "now" terms. In a couple of years, the industry is going to be so far beyond that, it won't even make a difference.
    Kahhhhyle likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by GameNChick View Post
    we just need funky barn
    I live in Funky Town. Move outta that barn!

I know, but you're thinking in "now" terms. In a couple of years, the industry is going to be so far beyond that, it won't even make a difference.
    That's true, but only if they actually have an Xbox 4 and PS5. If everybody continues to support the PS4/Xbone then a minor upgrade for Switch would be fine

That's true, but only if they actually have an Xbox 4 and PS5. If everybody continues to support the PS4/Xbone then a minor upgrade for Switch would be fine
    But even then, we're back to the fact that Nintendo specifically said they're not doing a hardware upgrade; they're going to do things with accessories. It's true that Nintendo has lied in the past, but what they said sounds an awful lot like something they would actually do.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    But even then, we're back to the fact that Nintendo specifically said they're not doing a hardware upgrade; they're going to do things with accessories. It's true that Nintendo has lied in the past, but what they said sounds an awful lot like something they would actually do.
    Nintendo’s upgrade is cardboard.

Nintendo’s upgrade is cardboard.
    It's sad but likely true...
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    I live in Funky Town. Move outta that barn!
    funky town is in doug
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Update: This talk was prompted by the release of Switch OS 5.0 which had references to updated hardware. Originally the speculation was that it was a minor hardware revision to patch hardware vulnerabilities. Moving from a Tegra 210 to Tergra 214. Now they've discovered a reference to a new circuit board and potentially 8GB of RAM. If they're doubling the RAM I doubt that that 214 is just a vulnerability fix.

Interesting stuff, I'm excited to see where it goes but seems like it's still a ways off
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/swi...8gb-ram.29092/
    Mr_Nick666 and jw224 like this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Update: This talk was prompted by the release of Switch OS 5.0 which had references to updated hardware. Originally the speculation was that it was a minor hardware revision to patch hardware vulnerabilities. Moving from a Tegra 210 to Tergra 214. Now they've discovered a reference to a new circuit board and potentially 8GB of RAM. If they're doubling the RAM I doubt that that 214 is just a vulnerability fix.

Interesting stuff, I'm excited to see where it goes but seems like it's still a ways off
    Nerd stuff.

New games, please!

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    C'mon. 16GB of RAM and GTX Titan X
    WoodenSaucer and Mr_Nick666 like this.
    Twitter: MatboksenYT
    NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Could just be for devkits, interesting nonetheless!
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

Switch's hardware stats do not need to change.

If Nintendo would release a home-only console in 2020, fans would get off their backs about Switch 2. What is best for Nintendo is to keep Switch on the market until 2027.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Switch's hardware stats do not need to change.

If Nintendo would release a home-only console in 2020, fans would get off their backs about Switch 2. What is best for Nintendo is to keep Switch on the market until 2027.
    What Nintendo needs to do is exactly what they're doing, and let the other guys give us real consoles. They don't need more expensive, updated hardware, and they don't need to separate back into handhelds and consoles. They just need to stay in the realm they're in. Not because that's what I want, but because it's working for them.
    drew79 likes this.

What Nintendo needs to do is exactly what they're doing, and let the other guys give us real consoles. They don't need more expensive, updated hardware, and they don't need to separate back into handhelds and consoles. They just need to stay in the realm they're in. Not because that's what I want, but because it's working for them.
    Their business was better when they were in multiple markets. With Switch, as the 3DS eventually dies, Nintendo will be limited to one market.

Diversification is what would be best for their business-- as in totally different products for different markets (not Switch hardware updates). You can't get all consumers with one piece of hardware. Nintendo needs a console to reach console gamers, they need a portable to reach kids and Japanese commuters, they need classic games on phones (GameBoy shell for phones) and they need the classic NES for a different market.

Their business was better when they were in multiple markets. With Switch, as the 3DS eventually dies, Nintendo will be limited to one market.

Diversification is what would be best for their business-- as in totally different products for different markets (not Switch hardware updates). You can't get all consumers with one piece of hardware. Nintendo needs a console to reach console gamers, they need a portable to reach kids and Japanese commuters, they need classic games on phones (GameBoy shell for phones) and they need the classic NES for a different market.
    When the Wii U was their console, and the 3DS was starting to die down, nobody gave a crap about Nintendo. Now that we have the Switch, people give a crap about them again, and they're on everyone's radar.
    drew79 likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    When the Wii U was their console, and the 3DS was starting to die down, nobody gave a crap about Nintendo. Now that we have the Switch, people give a crap about them again, and they're on everyone's radar.
    New games would be nice though.

And if they released a GameBoy shell for phones, they would sell 900 million more games. They do not need to stop at Switch.
    drew79 likes this.

And if they released a GameBoy shell for phones, they would sell 900 million more games. They do not need to stop at Switch.
    They tried mobile games, and they pretty much crashed and burned.

They tried mobile games, and they pretty much crashed and burned.
    I think a lot of it was experimentation. They failed with Mario Run and Miitomo, but Fire Emblem Heros did pretty well, I imagine the Animal Crossing game will too and Mario Kart is going to make them buhmillions.

I think a lot of it was experimentation. They failed with Mario Run and Miitomo, but Fire Emblem Heros did pretty well, I imagine the Animal Crossing game will too and Mario Kart is going to make them buhmillions.
    One big problem is that they think mobile gamers want to pay $15 for games, when they have a million games to download for free.
    drew79 likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    One big problem is that they think mobile gamers want to pay $15 for games, when they have a million games to download for free.
    Cake boy gets it.

Cake boy is a term of affection by the way. My favorite cake is German Chocolate. But I don’t process sugar correctly so I can’t have it.

Nintendo proved that people don't want gimmick games with Nintendo characters. Everyone just wants the real Mario Bros on their phone.

That's another management issue at Nintendo. They could have released a dozen NES games for $1 in the last year (but making them locked to the device).

Playing on the phone or on a portable is more of a time waster activity. If you really want to own a game and play through a game, you want it on your television (just like a movie). Portable/phone gaming is like watching videos on youtube on your phone-- you're just going to go home and watch that new Infinity War trailer in HD on a real screen.

Nintendo thinks that putting something like Mario Kart Advance on phones will mean it will hurt the numbers for MK9.

They did that for Mario Run, and that's why it didn't do very well. But for Fire Emblem Heroes they did the traditional free to play/pay for better stuff method and they did very well with it. I think they just wanted to experiment and see if they could get away with the console like method of sales on mobile.
    Playing on the phone or on a portable is more of a time waster activity. If you really want to own a game and play through a game, you want it on your television (just like a movie). Portable/phone gaming is like watching videos on youtube on your phone-- you're just going to go home and watch that new Infinity War trailer in HD on a real screen.
    Maybe for you, but the Switch and 3DS (and even the Vita) are thriving on a lot of JRPG content. It seems like there are quite a lot of people who want to have deeper experiences on handhelds

Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jfugs2394
    The question is...

Would any of you rather Nintendo support the Switch for 6-7 more years or would you rather they come out with a traditional home console to compete with the PS5 and Xbox Two? And thus discontinuing the Switch in 4 years.
    PSN: jFugs2394

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    Quote Originally Posted by jFug View Post
    The question is...

Would any of you rather Nintendo support the Switch for 6-7 more years or would you rather they come out with a traditional home console to compete with the PS5 and Xbox Two? And thus discontinuing the Switch in 4 years.
    I don't care as long as they keep making Zelda, Mario and Metroid

And as of this gen, Pokemon!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

The question is...

I mean there's pretty much zero chance they'd do that. But if they did, I'd do the same thing I did with Switch and wait until there was an exclusive game I wanted before getting one.

The question is...

I'm pretty much getting to the point that I don't care what they do anymore. I'll just buy games for my PC. At one time I would have said I'd rather they put out a competitive home console, but I don't really care much now.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    I'm pretty much getting to the point that I don't care what they do anymore. I'll just buy games for my PC. At one time I would have said I'd rather they put out a competitive home console, but I don't really care much now.
    lol you say that like you wouldn't be salivating at the thought of a powerful Nintendo console with Zelda and Mario with cutting edge graphics and performance.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

They did that for Mario Run, and that's why it didn't do very well. But for Fire Emblem Heroes they did the traditional free to play/pay for better stuff method and they did very well with it. I think they just wanted to experiment and see if they could get away with the console like method of sales on mobile.

Maybe for you, but the Switch and 3DS (and even the Vita) are thriving on a lot of JRPG content. It seems like there are quite a lot of people who want to have deeper experiences on handhelds
    Like with VR, this stuff is not healthy for prolonged play sessions. It's stupid to want to sit around the house with a portable with your neck cranked over, squinting at a small screen.

Some things just are not practical.

The question is...

The way to keep the Switch alive for ten years is to release a dedicated home console in a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast