Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL: Nintendo Direct 01/11/2018

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: aMarioFan64 Steam ID: ECOCKPIT89
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousMalk View Post
    The enthusiasm some of you guys have for Hyrule Warriors has almost inspired me to get this "definitive edition". Is it really that good of a game?
    I might get Hyrule Warriors DE myself.

Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

The enthusiasm some of you guys have for Hyrule Warriors has almost inspired me to get this "definitive edition". Is it really that good of a game?
    Not really. It didn't really hold my interest for very long on the Wii U.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DwideSchrude Steam ID: Rugmouse
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    Yeah, people have said it is the best 'warriors' game, but the best house in a bad neighborhood doesn't really appeal to me all that much. Plus, you'll probably get robbed.

A whole lotta nothing Ninja Monkey's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Ninja_Monkey32- Steam ID: ninja_monkey32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugmouse View Post
    Yeah, people have said it is the best 'warriors' game, but the best house in a bad neighborhood doesn't really appeal to me all that much. Plus, you'll probably get robbed.
    Stop living in a crappy neigbourhood then, problem solved
    Rugmouse likes this.
    Monkeys are coming =0

3DS FC: 3282 4343 3420
    Switch FC: SW 6458 0633 8794

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Hyrule Warriors is one of my favorite Wii U games
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    You're right. It is weird how the gaming world hated the Wii U, but they're eating this thing up no matter what.

I'll say this, though: If you force yourself to look at that Direct from the perspective of someone who never had a Wii U, it was flippin awesome! If you never experienced anything about a Wii U, there was a lot to be excited about. I'll say this, too. They fit more in that 14 minute "Mini Direct" than they've fit in much longer full Directs in the past because there was zero BS. It was all about the games. I used to like some of the BS, but seeing it in this format really makes me believe this is a much better way. I don't give a rat's anus about Bill Trinen eating donuts. I don't even need to see any of their faces, or even know who any of them are. Just show me the games.
    Oh the Switch is still amazing if you never had a Wii U. And I liked this quick fire Direct too, it's similar to the one they had at the end of last year. I like it for stuff like this, but I also like the Nintendo personality for the E3 Directs and other big ones.
    It's fun. If you like Zelda you'll probably like it, even if you never liked Dynasty Warriors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugmouse View Post
    Did drew hack your account? I only expect weird analogies like that from him
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post
    I completely get where you are coming from, but I have mixed feelings about all the re-releases and ports. DKTF is a great game, but Funky Kong is F********* lame. That guy sucks. That’s just easy mode but I digress...

While it’s cool more folks get to play these good games, I feel these should be $20-30 digital releases or released as discounted prices. If you want to play TP for example you had the GC version, the Wii version, and the HD version. This feels like milking the fans IMO.

The tennis game... boy I don’t know. I had really high hopes for Ultra Smash and thought Nintendo would add DLC to flesh it out but they didn’t. As I recall you and your wife love that game and that’s great. As far as tennis games go, NPC Power Tennis is crap. The controls are garbage, but apparently the original version is good. For Wii Virtua Tennis and SEGA Superstars Tennis are really good and super cheap.
    Virtua Tennis was awfully tedious and its TM'd lag online made it worthless to play online. I wanted to like that game so much but it was not really good at all.
    drew79 likes this.

Of course they won't announce Punch Out, F zero, Mother 3, GTA V, Retro's new IP, Smash 5 and Luigis mansion 3 in a mini direct. That'll be at E3.

Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Other Gamer IDs

Mini E3*
    WoodenSaucer and Rugmouse like this.
    Monkeys are coming =0

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    Hyrule Warriors is all of the stuff I like the least about Zelda wrapped into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
    Mini E3*
    ®
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Yes and no. It probably depends on how you see the series. If you see it as an action oriented RPG then you will probably like HW. If you think the series is about running errands and pushing levers than you probably won’t like HW.

I sure as hell won’t buy it again, but that’s because I already have a copy. I will say this though: the Switch version will probably sell for $60. Nintendo put out several DLC packs and free updates. I probably spent $100 total to get the full package. Content wise IMO it’s worth it. And you can get it for $40 less?

I’d watch a couple of reviews and get a better idea of what it is. But I dig it. Ignore the haters, if you like something that’s all that matters.

Link’s Crossbow training is cool too, and it’s about $1.

As Woody mentioned, it certainly wasn't a bad direct for someone that didn't own a Wii U. For someone that did own a Wii U, though, it was rather weak.

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition was the stand-out for me, but that's only because it's something I wanted Nintendo to do on Wii U for years. I guess Nintendo's only interested in 'complete edition' re-releases when they're also on a new platform, although I guess it's not even certain that they'll be 'complete' since Pokken is getting new DLC.

The rest was alright, but nothing overly appealing to me. Maybe Malk is right and I should be optimistically wondering about all the new stuff given that Nintendo rushed through the ports this time, but after 2016 on Wii U being sparse and the first year of Switch having a load of ports, I'm still wondering what Nintendo's been doing since 2015.

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    The rest was alright, but nothing overly appealing to me. Maybe Malk is right and I should be optimistically wondering about all the new stuff given that Nintendo rushed through the ports this time, but after 2016 on Wii U being sparse and the first year of Switch having a load of ports, I'm still wondering what Nintendo's been doing since 2015.
    I still wonder that sometimes as well.

And I sure as Boink hope that the DKCTF Switch Port isn't what Retro has been working since 2014.
    drew79 likes this.
    PM me if you add me!

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    As Woody mentioned, it certainly wasn't a bad direct for someone that didn't own a Wii U. For someone that did own a Wii U, though, it was rather weak.

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition was the stand-out for me, but that's only because it's something I wanted Nintendo to do on Wii U for years. I guess Nintendo's only interested in 'complete edition' re-releases when they're also on a new platform, although I guess it's not even certain that they'll be 'complete' since Pokken is getting new DLC.

Golfing.

Something interesting that I've been seeing around the net, though, is that historically when Nintendo has these "mini directs" they have a larger directs within the next month. So a lot of people are now thinking that this was just to show off the ports so that they won't have to waste time on them during the "big" direct.

I could see that, but not everything announced was ports so who knows.. I'm not going to get my hopes up for something that may not come, but either way I'm happy with the Switch and the games coming and I'll have plenty to play. If this direct really was just an appetizer, that'd be pretty cool though.

Fox
    Nintendo NID
    Fox_McCloud05
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: cgramajo05
    I agree with most people that say that this mini direct was aimed for all the people that never got a Wii U.

Personally , I'm interested in getting Donkey Kong since I never played it on the Wii U and I heard is a really awesome platformer and the difficulty is a bit high, and I like those kind of challenges.

Also the most relevant thing for me was the announcement of Dark Souls. I'm a big fan of the franchise and I never got to play much of the first one since I didn't own a PS3 or Xbox 360.

The Dark Souls trailer itself wasn't particularly great, but I think the most important thing about it is that, if I'm not wrong, this is the first official announcement of the remaster. So to me is a pretty big deal that they revealed it first on the direct. I definitely will be getting it day one.

Enviado desde mi SM-G925I mediante Tapatalk
    Kahhhhyle, drew79 and FlamingFury like this.
    Switch: 2837-4623-5791
    Wii U: Fox_McCloud05

3DS FC: 2337-4851-5043
    PSN: ​cgramajo05

Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Other Gamer IDs

You know there could be another direct upcoming soon.
    There's typically a larger Direct within a month of a Mini Direct... even though there's been a good while since the last one
    Monkeys are coming =0

Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    Golfing.

Something interesting that I've been seeing around the net, though, is that historically when Nintendo has these "mini directs" they have a larger directs within the next month. So a lot of people are now thinking that this was just to show off the ports so that they won't have to waste time on them during the "big" direct.

I could see that, but not everything announced was ports so who knows.. I'm not going to get my hopes up for something that may not come, but either way I'm happy with the Switch and the games coming and I'll have plenty to play. If this direct really was just an appetizer, that'd be pretty cool though.
    I've seen people saying that too. No way I'm getting my hopes up for that though. That's very optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Personally , I'm interested in getting Donkey Kong since I never played it on the Wii U and I heard is a really awesome platformer and the difficulty is a bit high, and I like those kind of challenges.
    It was, but they added Funky Kong to this version and it kinda looks like he's easy mode... Just an FYI if you want the original difficulty
    drew79 and Fox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    It was, but they added Funky Kong to this version and it kinda looks like he's easy mode... Just an FYI if you want the original difficulty
    Surely you can just not play as Funky, right?

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

They said in the direct that the original game will still be intact.

Fox
    Nintendo NID
    Fox_McCloud05
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: cgramajo05
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    Yeah from the footage is pretty obvious that funky kong is easy mode, so I guess if I get the game for the switch I won't be using him.
    Switch: 2837-4623-5791
    Wii U: Fox_McCloud05

3DS FC: 2337-4851-5043
    PSN: ​cgramajo05

Sir Donkus of Puncherelus heimbachae's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: heimbachae PSN ID: heimbachae Steam ID: heimbachae
    that direct was a steamy turd

Sent from Dreamcast
    drew79 and aMarioFan64 like this.
    inquire within

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
    that direct was an Unbound Shart

Sent from Dreamcast
    FTFY
    heimbachae likes this.
    PM me if you add me!

Banned

Wasn't the only Nintendo port MK8D? (drew will say BotW is also a port, but for this point it doesn't matter, since dev resources were spent on it the entire time)

To me it seems obvious where all the dev resources went since 2015 - BotW, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2. That's a lot of blockbuster original content to drop in one year
    drew79 and RoyElRobot like this.

Right. I was juat telling him since he'd never played the original and wanted to play a platformer that was meant to be kinda hard.
    Wasn't the only Nintendo port MK8D? (drew will say BotW is also a port, but for this point it doesn't matter, since dev resources were spent on it the entire time)

To me it seems obvious where all the dev resources went since 2015 - BotW, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2. That's a lot of blockbuster original content to drop in one year
    There was also Pokken. But I agree with your post overall.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

I'm talking about Nintendo's entire output as a publisher, not just the stuff developed internally by Nintendo EPD, so that includes Pokken Tournament, Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 as well (with both Donkey Kong Country and Hyrule Warriors having been announced). I'd agree with Drew and put Zelda in there as well, but I agree that it doesn't matter as much to this point since it was a new release.

In regards to Nintendo EPD specifically, I don't disagree with you that their resources since 2015 went into Zelda and Odyssey mainly, with the rest going into Splatoon 2, Arms, 1-2-Switch and Mario Kart 8 DX. I guess my view is coloured by my lack of interest in three of those and the fact that Zelda is also available on Wii U.
    drew79 and heimbachae like this.

Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    Other Gamer IDs

all i ****ing wanted was a god damn new mainline animal crossing game on the switch. is that so ****ing hard!?

Sent from Dreamcast
    inquire within

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

all i ****ing wanted was a god damn new mainline animal crossing game on the switch. is that so ****ing hard!?

Sent from Dreamcast
    I'm disappointed about that too, but it'll happen buddy. It's just a matter of time. Also, there's a chance a larger direct will be taking place in less than a month if Nintendo sticks to the same format they used to with "mini" directs. There's still hope!

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Sent from Dreamcast
    WoodenSaucer and heimbachae like this.
    PM me if you add me!

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I hope the time will fly really fast until E3.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    Phew... At least no one mentioned ports!

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13

Nintendo is busy making cereal bro! No time for games!

Anyways, I always saw the different characters in DKTF as a very subtle difficulty select, one that you can alter mid game. Dixie is or was easy mode, Diddy is medium, and Cranky is there for speed runners/top players. I guess DK would be seen as default mode.

Having an easier difficulty setting as an option is a good thing. I just find FK obnoxious and outdated. Nintendo should scrap Rare’s redesign of DK and come up with something less dated.

What it would have been nice if Nintendo had remastered DKCR without the stupid ass motion controls, and thrown both games on one cart for $40 or so. But we’re in the Kimmy dynasty, and that dude makes Scrooge McDuck look like a philanthropist.
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DwideSchrude Steam ID: Rugmouse

Enough talk, just buy a damn Switch already. There's a Splatfest this weekend.
    RoyElRobot likes this.

Sent from Dreamcast

Animal Crossing is for E3 you were expecting too much from a mini broadcast
    heimbachae likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Hoffman View Post
    Expecting new titles is too much? What?

Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post
    Expecting new titles is too much? What?

No expecting them to reveal everything now is

Banned
    Yeah it's looking like E3 will be the big announcements (although how many times did we say that during the Wii U years?)

I have confidence now in Nintendo though since, just going off of 2017, it looks like they learned lessons they needed to learn

Yeah it's looking like E3 will be the big announcements (although how many times did we say that during the Wii U years?)

I have confidence now in Nintendo though since, just going off of 2017, it looks like they learned lessons they needed to learn
    Almost. The online component still sucks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyElRobot View Post
    Almost. The online component still sucks.
    I think from a features perspective it definitely sucks

From a networking/server perspective I've had less problems with it than PSN

After waiting for months to hear something, it was a pretty lame. As a U owner, I had no interest in what they were selling. Guess I'll maintain my current pace of buying one or two Nintendo games a year when they decide to release something new and compelling. I have no idea what they could be doing either over the past few years. Last night I played a world in Mario Odyssey and it was pretty obvious that they couldn't have had more than one artist working on the world.
    drew79 likes this.

I think from a features perspective it definitely sucks

From a networking/server perspective I've had less problems with it than PSN
    Agreed. It just pisses me off that I can't send a message to my imaginary friends and have to memorize a freaking friend code.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Yeah I think the stealth drop and "mini" label really made people realize they had created far too much hype in their own minds. Also I think the optimism has to do with the fact that Nintendo downplayed the direct big time like you said, BUT then dropped actually a lot of titles. I personally didn't have extremely high expectations but as I watched I was just thinking alright, Nintendo is doing good here. They actually have a lot coming out in the spring and it is clear they didn't have to dedicate a ton of dev resources to it.

This is the difference between how Nintendo managed the Wii U and the Switch in my mind - a re-release of a game they had already made before was a marquee game of the year on Wii U. For the Switch, we've got a little mini direct where they almost just casually give these re-releases a minute or two. To me, that marketing language tells me that they've got a lot more on the horizon, a lot more their devs are creating.

With the Wii U, I was often left wondering after the direct, so what the heck are all of Nintendo's devs doing if a Wind Waker remake is the marquee game of the year? This direct was packed with a number of games, many re-releases, but their marketing isn't trying to make us feel like these are the killer apps of the year by any means. Hence my own personal optimism
    They were making BoTW. For about 5 years. And you know what? It was totally worth it!!
    The Cloud Strife likes this.
    3ds FC 2251-5240-1611

Wii U ID: MjekuMati

Haha yeah, at E3 they'll pull out Amiibo Festival DX.

Then in February they'll announce that they're making alt color schemes of all the amiibo and have that be a mini direct.
    drew79 and aMarioFan64 like this.
    3ds FC 2251-5240-1611

Wii U ID: MjekuMati

Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    Other Gamer IDs

But no one knew it was going to be a mini direct before it dropped... In fact many of the spoilers were ruined because they didn’t announce it ahead of time and when everyone went to check their youtube or news feeds many websites had thumbnails of the announcements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    inquire within

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    Golfing.

I would not get my hopes up for that. Another thing to keep in mind is that historically, mini directs haven't had much content to them. This mini direct actually had as much content as a full direct crammed into 14 minutes. I think they'll have more to tell us, but I don't expect it in a month.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    I would not get my hopes up for that. Another thing to keep in mind is that historically, mini directs haven't had much content to them. This mini direct actually had as much content as a full direct crammed into 14 minutes. I think they'll have more to tell us, but I don't expect it in a month.
    I agree with you, which is why I'm not. I just thought it was worth mentioning. The good thing is that the Switch isn't the Wii U, so what might have been a full direct for Wii U may not have to be for the Switch. We will just have to see. I'm pretty happy with what we have right now though even if there isn't another direct, and I'm very excited for the future.
    WoodenSaucer and aMarioFan64 like this.

Overactive Underacheiver megamanultra's Avatar
    Somewhere, out there, in the vast deepness of.......Ohio
    Nintendo NID
    megamanultra
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: megamanultrax
    And now the world is doomed. DKCTF is priced at $60 on the Switch on Best Buy. The Wii U version was $50 new. So, we are now officially paying extra for a port with only the addition of one playable character.

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #141: Only fools pay retail.
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #3: Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by megamanultra View Post
    And now the world is doomed. DKCTF is priced at $60 on the Switch on Best Buy. The Wii U version was $50 new. So, we are now officially paying extra for a port with only the addition of one playable character.

Playable Funky Kong is worth $10.
    heimbachae likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by megamanultra View Post

That would be really lame if that ends up being the case... On the flip side I don't plan on buying it so I don't really care lol
    golgo13 and aMarioFan64 like this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    Switch games are $10 more than Wii U games in general.
    Wii U games were always really cheap to buy.
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Switch games are $10 more than Wii U games in general.
    Wii U games were always really cheap to buy.
    and DKCTF is currently a select title at $20, so it shouldn’t be more than $30 by this logic.

Sent from Dreamcast
    WoodenSaucer and drew79 like this.
    inquire within

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast