Nintendo removes Golf from Switch OS

A few months ago Switch hackers showed the handheld had a hidden emulator designed to play NES Golf but only on July 11th, the date Satoru Iwata, former President of Nintendo and the game’s programmer, died. Now they say the company has overwritten the code as of the 4.0.0 firmware update.

, these revisions effectively gutted the code used to launch the game. “ was stubbed: official code for launching it was removed from , and *all* code was overwritten with garbage. Thus, even attempts to launch it manually will result in returning error 0xA09,” reads revision notes published yesterday. “Flog,” or golf spelled backwards, was dedicated emulating NES Golf when certain conditions were met.

When players used the Joy-Con to do Iwata’s Nintendo Direct sign-off gesture on July 11th, the game would . The specifics surrounding the game, and the fact that it was one of Iwata’s, made the Easter Egg seem like an intentional tribute to the late Nintendo icon. However, Nintendo refused to comment on the topic, and was about the subject during an interview with Kotaku back in autumn.

Even then, the game could only be accessed on older versions of the Switch, an indication that Nintendo had not planned for it to be accessible yet or possibly at all. This latest discovery seems like the logical conclusion of that position, with the company effectively scrubbing Flog from the console entirely.
    https://kotaku.com/hackers-say-nintendo-switchs-latest-firmware-update-rem-1821564683

My reaction when I log on to the site:

This part is isn't official I don't know anything about Japanese culture so correct it if you know this is wrong. I just saw this in a tweet I can't find anymore so there ya go. It's just a theory that I'm sure will be proven wrong when Nintendo relaunches it near his birthday or on some other important date.

The whole reason they put it in there to begin with was to make a sort of charm that would make Iwata sort of watch over the system since he made Golf, and Switch was his baby. They removed it because apparently if people don't leave the charm alone it won't work properly. So Nintendo removed the ability to access it and encrypted the game so that nobody could use it.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    So Switch can’t run a 30? year old NES game?

I'd be surprised if it could run Atari games tbh. We all know it's just a Zelda B̶o̶x̶ pad.

that was my fav: game once