• 1 Post By aMarioFan64
  • 2 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 2 Post By Kahhhhyle
  • 2 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 1 Post By Kahhhhyle
  • 1 Post By drew79

Thread: Sony: We cannot ignore the Nintendo Switch

Sony: We cannot ignore the Nintendo Switch

The Nintendo Switch has been a tremendous success so far, becoming Nintendo’s fastest selling system of all time on the back of an incredible lineup of games- but so far, its success has not come at the expense of the PS4. The PS4 has continued to have its best year ever this year, even as the Switch has sold millions and millions of units.

But it seems like Sony has finally awoken to the threat that the Switch and its success could imply. Speaking to Asia Nikkei, Sony’s Kazuhiko Takeda, Sony’s head of corporate planning, said that the Switch is a factor that they can no longer ignore with regards to their gaming business.

“At our gaming business, sales of the PlayStation 4 are strong heading into the holidays,” he said. “But we can’t ignore the Nintendo Switch, which has also captured consumers’ attention. Our business model involves selling both the game console and the software for it, so we’re working to get more customers paying continuously for content, for example through paid subscription services.”

What this mans is unclear- at the very least, it is now apparent that Sony acknowledges the Nintendo Switch as a legitimate competitor in the market, and they will work to counter it. Whether they do it by putting out an equivalent product (unlikely), doubling own on their subscription based services to keep users in their ecosystem (likely), and even extend those services to Nintendo’s base to expand their earnings (hugely unlikely), it is clear the Switch is something they will factor in all their considerations regarding their gaming business going forward.

https://gamingbolt.com/sony-we-canno...intendo-switch

Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    I honestly think they're different markets. I guess the only thing they have to worry about is people who have limited money to spend on gifts and they have to choose one over the other. But I think they're completely different markets within the gaming market, and they don't have anything to worry about.
    tripplej likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    I honestly think they're different markets. I guess the only thing they have to worry about is people who have limited money to spend on gifts and they have to choose one over the other. But I think they're completely different markets within the gaming market, and they don't have anything to worry about.
    The biggest thing will be Japan. As Switch continues to sell 4x the PS4 there Japanese devs are going to look to Switch as the defacto platform rather then PS4.

And before anybody give me crap about that I'm not saying that Switch is a PS4 killer or anything. All I'm saying is that it is going to surpass the PS4 in Japan, and the devs will probably follow.
    Darth Praxis and Zeldatrek like this.
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    The biggest thing will be Japan. As Switch continues to sell 4x the PS4 there Japanese devs are going to look to Switch as the defacto platform rather then PS4.

And before anybody give me crap about that I'm not saying that Switch is a PS4 killer or anything. All I'm saying is that it is going to surpass the PS4 in Japan, and the devs will probably follow.
    It's a PS4 killer in Japan. Lucky for Sony Japan is a pretty small portion of the global market, and they're still killing the Switch, globally.

It's a PS4 killer in Japan. Lucky for Sony Japan is a pretty small portion of the global market, and they're still killing the Switch, globally.
    Well not really, PS4 is slaughtering the Switch in Europe. In NA the Switch is usually a head by a small or large margin (depending on the month) but the Switch is demolishing Japan. Worldwide it bounces around depending on the month, but Switch and PS4 have been trading it back and forth.

And it still isn't necessarily a PS4 killer. IIRC the PS4 is actually up YoY in Japan. Switch is just a console built almost exactly for that market, while PS4 just has games that cater to the market. There was never really a chance that the PS4 would beat Switch in Japan, but it's still doing ok for Japan.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Well not really, PS4 is slaughtering the Switch in Europe. In NA the Switch is usually a head by a small or large margin (depending on the month) but the Switch is demolishing Japan. Worldwide it bounces around depending on the month, but Switch and PS4 have been trading it back and forth.

And it still isn't necessarily a PS4 killer. IIRC the PS4 is actually up YoY in Japan. Switch is just a console built almost exactly for that market, while PS4 just has games that cater to the market. There was never really a chance that the PS4 would beat Switch in Japan, but it's still doing ok for Japan.
    They forgot to work on their "western antenna."

Edit: I just checked out VGChartz. They're way behind back in October, but back then, the Switch handily beat the PS4 for that week. It was before Odyssey came out, too.
    Last edited by WoodenSaucer; 1 Week Ago at 09:59 AM.
    Kahhhhyle and drew79 like this.

They forgot to work on their "western antenna."

Edit: I just checked out VGChartz. They're way behind back in October, but back then, the Switch handily beat the PS4 for that week. It was before Odyssey came out, too.
    Sure did. I bet the Switch wins the holidays too, but if you go back a week or two you're closer to the launch of FIFA and the PS4 is ahead.

I think generally the Switch is ahead though.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jpd0184
    Woohooo Vita 2 baby.

Maybe we'll see that Switch looking device with detachable controllers thing they patented a while back.

lol, a person an dream.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

Nintendo NID
    Hudson_Firesys
    Other Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 4644-0449-7084-3090
    Sony is already pressing the CTRL + C right now .
    A message to all haters ,some western sites(like IGN) and etc. :

You can't kill Nintendo!

If you add my FC/ID in some game, please add-me as a contact on this same forum.
    (My ID's/FC's=PM-me).

I'm giving priority to players who have a good online frequency and has the possibility to schedule matches and communicate.

Nintendo NID
    andrewjcole
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RampantLeaf1337 Steam ID: RampantLeaf
    "so we’re working to get more customers paying continuously for content, for example through paid subscription services."

I threw up a little.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Put this picture here just to add extra credibility to anything I say.
    Been here since Feb. 2013 on another account. Haven't been active since recently.

Equal-Opportunity Mocker aMarioFan64's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: aMarioFan64 Steam ID: ECOCKPIT89
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewjcole View Post
    "so we’re working to get more customers paying continuously for content, for example through paid subscription services."

I threw up a little.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk
    Darth Praxis and hbeb9786 like this.
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewjcole View Post

I threw up a little.
    See the EA model IS still alive and well at Sony!

WoodenSaucer, drew79 and hbeb9786 like this.

24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    See the EA model IS still alive and well at Sony!

You mean the model M$ and Xbox Live introduced at the start of the sixth gen?

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Quote Originally Posted by capnjazz View Post
    You mean the model M$ and Xbox Live introduced at the start of the sixth gen?

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Didgeridoo Master Flash hbeb9786's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    SW-1719-7432-8305
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hbeb9786 PSN ID: hbeb9786
    every one is saying the Switch is a success. It has been less than a year. we still have no real developer support for the console. It gets more shovel ware than decent content, and after the launch of Odyssey, what is there? Zenoobalde 2. That is about it. Nothing new, just more ports.

I do not want to see Nintendo go under but they need more new original content or people will be turned off. I know that after the WII U mess, ll my mates abandoned Nintendo, and I am the only one that has a Switch and I did not even pay for t.

If the Switch actually attracted the players than gave it up it would be great but it s failing to recapture the old audience. If this console was docked only it would already be dead.

as good a console as it is with out DEV support it will fail in the end, let us hope it get's what it needs in year 2 of it's life.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeb9786 View Post
    every one is saying the Switch is a success. It has been less than a year. we still have no real developer support for the console. It gets more shovel ware than decent content, and after the launch of Odyssey, what is there? Zenoobalde 2. That is about it. Nothing new, just more ports.

I do not want to see Nintendo go under but they need more new original content or people will be turned off. I know that after the WII U mess, ll my mates abandoned Nintendo, and I am the only one that has a Switch and I did not even pay for t.

If the Switch actually attracted the players than gave it up it would be great but it s failing to recapture the old audience. If this console was docked only it would already be dead.

as good a console as it is with out DEV support it will fail in the end, let us hope it get's what it needs in year 2 of it's life.
    it doesn't have a lot of support yet because it's new and devs are gunshy after wii u. but for its first year, it's been about as successful as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    it doesn't have a lot of support yet because it's new and devs are gunshy after wii u. but for its first year, it's been about as successful as possible.
    It's got about 10x or more the support the Wii U had. Bethesda, and even rumored Valve are supporting it, for crying out loud.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    It's got about 10x or more the support the Wii U had. Bethesda, and even rumored Valve are supporting it, for crying out loud.
    Yep. Two more new game rumors for coming to Switch popped up today, the new Scribblenauts and the two Outlast games.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No developer support? It's got more games on it than I can possibly play, and that's just Nintendo titles!

People who need more games...I remember those days.
    Kahhhhyle, cThreep and aMarioFan64 like this.
    3ds FC 2251-5240-1611

Wii U ID: MjekuMati

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: c_threep
    You bet your butt Nintendo is a competitor of Sony, especially a few years from now when the Switch install base is massive. Let’s not forget Nintendo is worth more than Sony by several hundred million dollars. That’s ALL of Sony and their many divisions (video games, movies, appliances, etc.) https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ni...ony-61509.html

I believe there are still going to be millions of younger consumers moving from the mobile phone market to the console gaming market, and a few years from now when the Nintendo switch is tens of millions of consoles strong there will be a legitimate dilemma in consumers minds of which console to select. This also makes me think of how brilliant Ninty’s strategy was a few years ago to start doing mobile games and start winning consumers in that market that will eventually move to consoles.
    drew79 likes this.

Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by cThreep View Post
    You bet your butt Nintendo is a competitor of Sony, especially a few years from now when the Switch install base is massive. Let’s not forget Nintendo is worth more than Sony by several hundred million dollars. That’s ALL of Sony and their many divisions (video games, movies, appliances, etc.) https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ni...ony-61509.html

I believe there are still going to be millions of younger consumers moving from the mobile phone market to the console gaming market, and a few years from now when the Nintendo switch is tens of millions of consoles strong there will be a legitimate dilemma in consumers minds of which console to select. This also makes me think of how brilliant Ninty’s strategy was a few years ago to start doing mobile games and start winning consumers in that market that will eventually move to consoles.
    Goodness me.
    That figure is market capitalization, not net worth. And it's 3 years old.
    Market capitalization is the value of all currently held public stock. You'll also note from Nintendo's price history that that figure held true for about 3 months.
    Nintendo's current market cap is 49 billion yen, compared to Sony's 48.5 billion yen. Which comes off of 2 years of Sony restructuring, closing divisions, and spinning PS off from the main body.
    A more interesting and relevant metric would be net income; Sony's net income for 2017 (so far) is 658 million USD compared to Nintendo's 968 million USD.
    drew79 and cThreep like this.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jpd01 View Post
    Goodness me.
    That figure is market capitalization, not net worth. And it's 3 years old.
    Market capitalization is the value of all currently held public stock. You'll also note from Nintendo's price history that that figure held true for about 3 months.
    Nintendo's current market cap is 49 billion yen, compared to Sony's 48.5 billion yen. Which comes off of 2 years of Sony restructuring, closing divisions, and spinning PS off from the main body.
    A more interesting and relevant metric would be net income; Sony's net income for 2017 (so far) is 658 million USD compared to Nintendo's 968 million USD.
    My bad, there are more recent articles I read talking about this and I was just about to say it without citing a source, but not using sources is lame, so I quickly googled it and grabbed a random article that I obviously didn’t proof read very well. But nice to know my point is even further proven by what you stated about net income. That’s what I was hastily grabbing a source for. If only you had included a source yourself...

Other Gamer IDs

My bad, there are more recent articles I read talking about this and I was just about to say it without citing a source, but not using sources is lame, so I quickly googled it and grabbed a random article that I obviously didn’t proof read very well. But nice to know my point is even further proven by what you stated about net income. That’s what I was hastily grabbing a source for. If only you had included a source yourself...
    I looked up both their recent financial reports and used statista to track their reported earnings.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/er.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/annual1703e.pdf

https://www.statista.com/

Cinema blend might be an admirable site for movie trailers and puff pieces but anything else i wouldn't be too interested in their opinion or journalism.

Nintendo's full 2017 financial report in march should be interesting.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Sony: We cannot ignore the Nintendo Switch

I looked up both their recent financial reports and used statista to track their reported earnings.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/er.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/annual1703e.pdf

https://www.statista.com/

Cinema blend might be an admirable site for movie trailers and puff pieces but anything else i wouldn't be too interested in their opinion or journalism.

Nintendo's full 2017 financial report in march should be interesting.
    You’re a gentleman and a scholar. Next time I won’t post sources while I’m trying to spoon feed green been mush to my 8 month old haha, I’ll just holler out to jpd
    Last edited by cThreep; 1 Week Ago at 10:56 AM.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Other Gamer IDs

You’re a gentleman and a scholar. Next time I won’t post sources while I’m trying to spoon feed green been mush my 8 month old haha, I’ll just holler out to jpd
    Hard to multi-task with one hand.

I was playing Pinball with my 3 year old on my Wii U today, she loves it.
    drew79 and aMarioFan64 like this.

Nintendo NID
    C-Threep
    Other Gamer IDs

Hard to multi-task with one hand.

I was playing Pinball with my 3 year old on my Wii U today, she loves it.
    That’s actually a great game idea for my kids, I bet my 4 year old would have fun with the simplicity of pinball.

Never post cinema blend. Anything they posted about video games was heavily skewed in Nintendo's favor.

Or you just don't like saying nice things about Nintendo:shurg:
    Not rumored. It was an announcement I believe
    WoodenSaucer and aMarioFan64 like this.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13

Not a huge surprise, but I largely agree with you, and it’s not a Team Salt thing either.

Somewhere I disagree is about the shovelware aspect, but that just could be semantics. 1,2 Switch is a first party title but is garbage. Meanwhile Snakepass or whatever looks neat, but not worth buying a $300+ console for.

Original content is where I agree fully. I understand the folks who defend WiiU ports, or Sony ports or whatever, but that’s coasting, especially if those games came out earlier on other platforms and cost less. Boiled down though I’d say the Switch needs unique games that have their own console identity and new ideas.

This is hindsight, but it was easy to tell what say a Genesis or SNES game was at a glance, at least it was for me. Neither system was better, they basically did the same thing in different ways. They actually had a console identity. Maybe it’s too early to expect that from Switch, but as you know the WiiU didn’t have a distinct draw either and I think that hurt it. It could be said the main draw is the portable aspect, but in a time where handhelds and mobile gaming are common, I don’t know if that really impresses anymore.

Right now the only distinctly “Switch-esque” titles are ARMS, which looks okay but not great, SMO, which I consider fluff but that’s a minority opinion, and now XBC2, which is a sequel to an obscure JRPG which was released late in the Wii lifecycle.

The Switch turns 1 year in March I believe. But the above isn’t especially impressive. I’d like to see Nintendo try a little harder.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    Lunkhead.

Equal-Opportunity Mocker aMarioFan64's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: aMarioFan64 Steam ID: ECOCKPIT89
    Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post
    Not a huge surprise, but I largely agree with you, and it’s not a Team Salt thing either.

Somewhere I disagree is about the shovelware aspect, but that just could be semantics. 1,2 Switch is a first party title but is garbage. Meanwhile Snakepass or whatever looks neat, but not worth buying a $300+ console for.

Original content is where I agree fully. I understand the folks who defend WiiU ports, or Sony ports or whatever, but that’s coasting, especially if those games came out earlier on other platforms and cost less. Boiled down though I’d say the Switch needs unique games that have their own console identity and new ideas.

This is hindsight, but it was easy to tell what say a Genesis or SNES game was at a glance, at least it was for me. Neither system was better, they basically did the same thing in different ways. They actually had a console identity. Maybe it’s too early to expect that from Switch, but as you know the WiiU didn’t have a distinct draw either and I think that hurt it. It could be said the main draw is the portable aspect, but in a time where handhelds and mobile gaming are common, I don’t know if that really impresses anymore.

Right now the only distinctly “Switch-esque” titles are ARMS, which looks okay but not great, SMO, which I consider fluff but that’s a minority opinion, and now XBC2, which is a sequel to an obscure JRPG which was released late in the Wii lifecycle.

The Switch turns 1 year in March I believe. But the above isn’t especially impressive. I’d like to see Nintendo try a little harder.
    Strange as this sounds, I agree. Nintendo is doing respectably well enough now, but then again I remember feeling that way after E3 2014, and look what happened the next year.
    drew79 likes this.
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    Strange as this sounds, I agree. Nintendo is doing respectably well enough now, but then again I remember feeling that way after E3 2014, and look what happened the next year.
    That was a lot different. By E3 2014, the Wii U had already long bottomed out. Most of us just weren't jaded enough yet to give up hope.
    Kahhhhyle and aMarioFan64 like this.

That was a lot different. By E3 2014, the Wii U had already long bottomed out. Most of us just weren't jaded enough yet to give up hope.
    Plus we already know there's good stuff on the horizon.

Also what are you guys talking about? E3 2014 for Nintendo was frekin amazing. That's where they unveild BotW, Smash 4 with the Reggie vs. Iwata skit, Captain Toad, amiibo, Pokémon OR and AS, the first real Bayonetta 2 trailer, Mario Maker,Star Fox Zero, and Splatoon. They showed a new XCX trailer, showed more Yoshi, and revealed Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. All with the robot chicken animation in between.

2015 is the crappy one you're thinking of.
    Kukabuksilaks and aMarioFan64 like this.

Plus we already know there's good stuff on the horizon.

Also what are you guys talking about? E3 2014 for Nintendo was frekin amazing. That's where they unveild BotW, Smash 4 with the Reggie vs. Iwata skit, Captain Toad, amiibo, Pokémon OR and AS, the first real Bayonetta 2 trailer, Mario Maker,Star Fox Zero, and Splatoon. They showed a new XCX trailer, showed more Yoshi, and revealed Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. All with the robot chicken animation in between.

2015 is the crappy one you're thinking of.
    Yeah, that's what he said. He was saying that 2014 got us excited, only to majorly be let down in 2015.
    Kahhhhyle and aMarioFan64 like this.

Yeah, that's what he said. He was saying that 2014 got us excited, only to majorly be let down in 2015.
    Oops. You right. I misread that.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Oops. You right. I misread that.
    I wasn’t referring to ANY E3, nor the WiiU exactly. I just think the Switch has very few titles that are unquestionably Switch titles. Nothing really stands out unless you count SMO.
    aMarioFan64 likes this.
    Lunkhead.