Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Project Octopath Traveler Demo thread.

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    That's exactly my issue. If Square had released say, Tomb Raider, on the Switch and then this, I wouldn't have an issue. My issue is that they decided that the Switch exclusive they needed to make would look like this. The Switch isn't the 3DS, and they don't have to stick to those types of games anymore. They could have ventured out more. You're probably right about it being more work than I imagine, so then why not make a current-gen looking game if that's the case? What is the obsession with having games look like they're from the early 90's? There were some amazing games in the 90's, and if I feel like revisiting them I will, but I don't see why we spend so many resources trying to make 2018 games look like that.

I don't get it, and you're right that this just isn't my cup of tea. That's fine, and like you said I don't have to buy it. I won't. But if developers look at this and think "oh, we can just do that and sell a bunch of copies", then I will have a problem. The issue isn't so much the game itself, it's the lack of other games we are getting. Again, I am not obsessed with graphics, but I like to at least be able to see my character and what he/she looks like rather than a little sprite. I agree that variety is good, and I wouldn't have a problem with this if square had actually released something else including this and not just this. From my understanding they only published this, but still my point remains. They can support the system with a variety of games, and I guess we will just have to wait and see what they decide to do after this.

I think partly what's happening is the PS Vita is dead in Japan and the 3DS is on its way out as well. Switch, partially being a handheld is naturally inheriting that market, which is huge over there. We're getting some of those titles localized and brought over to the west. So we'll definitely be getting some handheld titles going forward. Like you said, it remains to be seen if Japanese publishers will take full advantage of the Switch's full capabilities but I'm hoping they will. From Software will be bringing Dark Souls Remastered, Capcom will develop Monster Hunter games specifically for Switch... We'll see how it goes aside from that. I agree with you that it would be a shame if all Switch received were low budget handheld titles in the future as it's capable of much more. We will have to see

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Mr_Nick666 and savinghyrule like this.
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Good points. It’s actually a good thing that we are getting 3DS games, so I guess I shouldn’t complain too much. You outlined my concerns perfectly at the end though, so we will just have to see what happens.
    WoodenSaucer and aMarioFan64 like this.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    lol I don't think I've seen anyone salty over this game until I opened this thread. I'm no fan of JRPGs - they bore me to tears - but this game is tearing it up sales wise and to a lesser extent reviews wise - especially in Japan.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Even though it's not my type of game, I still think it's pretty interesting. My only complaint is the price tag.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Is that because of the amount of content? Just curious, all my Switch friends that have this game have already put at least 50 hours in it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    No, just because I'd be more likely to pay $40 for a game like that. As stoked as I was for Rise of the Tomb Raider, I still waited over a year to buy it for the price to come down.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12