• 1 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 2 Post By DeliciousMalk
  • 1 Post By Darth Praxis
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 1 Post By drew79

Thread: New Star Wars trilogy

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar

New Star Wars trilogy

So Rian Johnson is going to be kicking off a new Star Wars trilogy after Episode IX. The new trilogy has nothing to do with the Skywalker saga, and it's going to be about brand new characters in a different part of the galaxy. They're also working on a new live action Star Wars TV show.

Honestly, when it gets to that point, I might take my leave from the Star Wars scene. It might be turning into something I don't care much about anymore.

The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson to Create New Star Wars Trilogy - IGN
    hbeb9786 likes this.

Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Considering they went with Abrams over Johnson for episode 9, I'd take the whole creative guidance thing with a grain of salt. Johnson is really cool though...I'm just sayin'. I don't see why this news would surprise or disappoint anybody, though.
    hbeb9786 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Psomaster
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Ninja_Monkey32- Steam ID: ninja_monkey32
    Probably for the better anyhow. Series feel so distant from the originals at this point anyway. It's beyond recognition, well maybe not but the series at this point feels more like a spiritual successor than sequels if you ask me, even if they are connected.

I'll just wait and see how this'll turn out
    hbeb9786 likes this.
    The awesomeness of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X..

...Will come to you again with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in 2017

3DS FC: 3282 4343 3420
    Switch FC: SW 6458 0633 8794

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    gonna end badly
    Darth Praxis likes this.
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Equal-Opportunity Mocker aMarioFan64's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: aMarioFan64 Steam ID: ECOCKPIT89
    I've got a bad feeling about this...
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    I've got a bad feeling about this...
    Don't see why. I think another trilogy was inevitable, given how everything has gone up 'til now. And really--would you rather not have more Star Wars just because there's a chance the next three won't be as good?

I hope the thing goes on forever. Or far outlives me, at least. Star Trek is a measured, traditional sci-fi exploration of humanity at the time its various iterations are released, which is fine. Star Wars is more of a pure love letter to the indomitable goodness of the human spirit. I'd have no problem with that stretching out until the end of time.
    Mr_Nick666, Kahhhhyle and RaY_210 like this.

Dang you guys are pessimistic.

I've never been a huge Star Wars fan, but I like the newer ones. There's no reason it couldn't work. I mean look at Marvel, they're like 30 movies in at this point aren't they?
    RaY_210 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    Considering they went with Abrams over Johnson for episode 9, I'd take the whole creative guidance thing with a grain of salt. Johnson is really cool though...I'm just sayin'. I don't see why this news would surprise or disappoint anybody, though.
    I'm not surprised or disappointed. I'm just saying I'm probably going to lose interest.

Don't see why. I think another trilogy was inevitable, given how everything has gone up 'til now. And really--would you rather not have more Star Wars just because there's a chance the next three won't be as good?
    If they carried on the new trilogy with the new characters they're establishing in this trilogy, I'd be all about it. I'd eat that up. Rey, Finn, and Poe are a transition from the old hat, and they actually had contact and influence from the original characters. There is some familiarity there.

But that's not what they're doing. They're breaking away from everything we've always known about Star Wars and making something completely different, with all new characters and settings. There's really no reason to even name it Star Wars except for brand recognition.
    Darth Praxis and golgo13 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    I'm not surprised or disappointed. I'm just saying I'm probably going to lose interest.

If they carried on the new trilogy with the new characters they're establishing in this trilogy, I'd be all about it. I'd eat that up. Rey, Finn, and Poe are a transition from the old hat, and they actually had contact and influence from the original characters. There is some familiarity there.

But that's not what they're doing. They're breaking away from everything we've always known about Star Wars and making something completely different, with all new characters and settings. There's really no reason to even name it Star Wars except for brand recognition.
    I mean, how do you know exactly what they're gonna do? It seems you're making assumptions. There's nothing wrong with making new things, I'm excited to see what they come up with.
    the ancient gamer and RaY_210 like this.
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

No, Bantz is life.

The article does make it sound like there won't be any returning characters in the new films, but it's hard to say whether that's how it will actually pan out. And as far as being completely different--I'm not so sure about that, either. The Jedi, the First Order...there's all sorts of elements that could be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jw224 View Post
    I mean, how do you know exactly what they're gonna do? It seems you're making assumptions. There's nothing wrong with making new things, I'm excited to see what they come up with.
    I'm not making assumptions. That's exactly what the article says. If ancient is right, and it might not pan out that way, and they continue with the characters we know, I'll be all for it. But if it happens like they say they want it to happen, then I'll probably lose interest. That doesn't mean you have to lose interest.

The article does make it sound like there won't be any returning characters in the new films, but it's hard to say whether that's how it will actually pan out. And as far as being completely different--I'm not so sure about that, either. The Jedi, the First Order...there's all sorts of elements that could be in there.
    I'm not ruling it out. I'm just saying it's sounding like there is a chance they're going to be taking things in a direction that I'm not going to care about. I've loved all of the movies, including the prequels. But I've never really been into all the expanded universe stuff.

I'm not ruling it out. I'm just saying it's sounding like there is a chance they're going to be taking things in a direction that I'm not going to care about. I've loved all of the movies, including the prequels. But I've never really been into all the expanded universe stuff.
    Don't get me wrong, I do understand where you're coming from. What I'm most concerned about right now is how involved Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasdan, and JJ Abrams will be in the next trilogy. If they're sort of removed from things, I'm going to get pretty nervous, even though I acknowledge Johnson is a talented guy. Also--since they just announced this, and we know Abrams is doing Episode Nine...does that mean we're going to get the next trilogy like, right away? That may well be a mistake.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

When the Star Wars first released it was totally new, there was nothing like it. Stuff that is now iconic was born in those films. I'm hoping they'll be able to create stuff like that again whilst telling new and interesting stories and characters. It'll still be in the same universe, so they could make it as familiar as they feel that they need to. I'm just excited for some new stories tbh.

No, Bantz is life.

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    I've been there from the start and I'm excited. I was excited about the prequels too, to be fair, and they were weak cash grabs... The last two films have been really enjoyable though and that gives me a new hope...
    Rugmouse, golgo13 and aMarioFan64 like this.

Equal-Opportunity Mocker aMarioFan64's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: aMarioFan64 Steam ID: ECOCKPIT89
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nick666 View Post
    I've been there from the start and I'm excited. I was excited about the prequels too, to be fair, and they were weak cash grabs... The last two films have been really enjoyable though and that gives me a new hope...
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    Dang you guys are pessimistic.

I've never been a huge Star Wars fan, but I like the newer ones. There's no reason it couldn't work. I mean look at Marvel, they're like 30 movies in at this point aren't they?
    Yeah, but Marvel hired talented people, plus have something like 60 years of backstory to draw on. SW is thus far only focused on the Skywalker family and that’s part of why the movies are dull. The extended universe, what I’ve seen of it, is actually interesting sometimes.

The movies are crap though. Metroid and other Nintendo games have the same problem. They kept going back to the same old same old so often that fans won’t accept anything else than a retread.
    Lunkhead.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    I just fear Disney will be infusing more and more SJW nonsense into their future endeavours and Star Wars is just the first indication of this direction.
    drew79 and golgo13 like this.

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Don't get me wrong, I do understand where you're coming from. What I'm most concerned about right now is how involved Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasdan, and JJ Abrams will be in the next trilogy. If they're sort of removed from things, I'm going to get pretty nervous, even though I acknowledge Johnson is a talented guy. Also--since they just announced this, and we know Abrams is doing Episode Nine...does that mean we're going to get the next trilogy like, right away? That may well be a mistake.
    I don't know about how much JJ Abrams or Lawrence Kasdan will be involved, but I would bet Kathleen Kennedy will have a hand in things for a long time to come. And about bringing the next trilogy too soon, my opinion is that if they just continue the current pacing, it won't be a problem. I hope they don't wait more than 1-1.5 years past 9 to start rolling it out.

But I'll clarify more where I'm coming from. Episodes 1-6 dealt with the whole Skywalker saga. We haven't seen Episodes 8 and 9 yet, but we've been told that before Fisher died, their intent was to have each of the original 3 be stars in their own movie: Ford in 7, Hamill in 8, and Fisher in 9. When Fisher died, it threw a wrench in that plan.

But still, episodes 7-9 are obviously being used as a passing of the torch to the next generation. It's a transition trilogy. So why in the world wouldn't they make the next trilogy be about the characters the old guys passed the torch to? It just makes no sense whatsoever to start over with a clean slate when they're working so hard right now to transition to a brand new trio of characters.
    Darth Praxis and Mr_Nick666 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    I just fear Disney will be infusing more and more SJW nonsense into their future endeavours and Star Wars is just the first indication of this direction.
    Maybe just don't think about it too much and you might actually enjoy the films

No, Bantz is life.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by jw224 View Post
    Maybe just don't think about it too much and you might actually enjoy the films
    Point taken, but it’s difficult when something keeps getting shoved in your face. One aspect I do like about SW is that they are timeless in a sense. Putting current day social mores into that automatically dates it.
    Darth Praxis and Zeldatrek like this.
    Lunkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post
    Yeah, but Marvel hired talented people, plus have something like 60 years of backstory to draw on. SW is thus far only focused on the Skywalker family and that’s part of why the movies are dull. The extended universe, what I’ve seen of it, is actually interesting sometimes.

The movies are crap though. Metroid and other Nintendo games have the same problem. They kept going back to the same old same old so often that fans won’t accept anything else than a retread.
    Disney has thrown at lot of money and talent at Star Wars lol. But your two paragraphs kind of contradict each other there. Star Wars doesn't has no past to pull inspiration from, while Nintendo has too much past to pull from so they can't move forward hahaha
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

What has been infused thus far?

Nintendo NID
    ZeldaTrek
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: zeldatrek
    Well for instance, today all of the Jedi trainers I saw none were CIS males. They were either women or black guys.
    No wonder I can't get a date.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'll wait until I see the last jedi to be excited or not about it. I like the idea of Star Wars "off the beaten path" so to speak, since Rogue One and Solo are just supplementary to the actual saga.

There was a lot of amazing content in EU (as well as a lot of trash...) that could be the basis for a new trilogy. But right now I don't know whether or not I like the fact that Rian Johnson is the writer/director of the entire arc.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    Disney has thrown at lot of money and talent at Star Wars lol. But your two paragraphs kind of contradict each other there. Star Wars doesn't has no past to pull inspiration from, while Nintendo has too much past to pull from so they can't move forward hahaha
    “Doesn’t has no past?” What does that mean? In both cases I think expanding the respective universes is a good way to go. What ELSE is happening in the Metroid universe besides Samus? Some witty person is sure to mention Federation Force but I think that was a good idea that was handled badly. I probably wouldn’t have called it Metroid at all, just FF, and let it fly solo. The squished characters were probably a bad idea too, not to mention the demo was a sports type thing. The demo should have been the first level or something and focused on a FF Soldier on his/her first mission. I can’t comment on that game too much because I haven’t bought it yet, but those points seem obvious.
    Lunkhead.

Point taken, but it’s difficult when something keeps getting shoved in your face. One aspect I do like about SW is that they are timeless in a sense. Putting current day social mores into that automatically dates it.
    What have they done to Star Wars that "keeps getting shoved in your face"?

Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousMalk View Post
    There was a lot of amazing content in EU (as well as a lot of trash...) that could be the basis for a new trilogy. But right now I don't know whether or not I like the fact that Rian Johnson is the writer/director of the entire arc.
    I don't know that he'll direct the entire thing, but you still have a good point. He's done good stuff in the past, but I still don't know about handing the keys to Star Wars to him. Good decisions have been made so far though, so hopefully this is another one.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    “Doesn’t has no past?” What does that mean?
    A lot of times you can't take what Kyle posts literally because he never proofreads his posts lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jrb363 PSN ID: jrb363 Steam ID: jrb363
    That's great and all but can't we just take it one movie at a time? I'm glad they're planning ahead and trying to get the stories together. Fantastic. But at this rate I'm afraid there will be too many 'cooks in the kitchen' so to speak.

Kind of how Marvel quality outside of their huge blockbusters has been hit-or-miss...I think it's due to there being a limited amount of talent to go around that can consistently meet fan expectations.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    That's great and all but can't we just take it one movie at a time? I'm glad they're planning ahead and trying to get the stories together. Fantastic. But at this rate I'm afraid there will be too many 'cooks in the kitchen' so to speak.
    I'm pretty sure it all goes to what Woody and I were talking about earlier. They're gearing up to have episode ten come out in 2021. Woody was cool with that, and even though I'm an old man who loves me some Star Wars, I'm not sure I agree with him...

I'm pretty sure it all goes to what Woody and I were talking about earlier. They're gearing up to have episode ten come out in 2021. Woody was cool with that, and even though I'm an old man who loves me some Star Wars, I'm not sure I agree with him...
    If they don't get it out by then, you'll probably kick the bucket and never get to see it.
    the ancient gamer likes this.

If they don't get it out by then, you'll probably kick the bucket and never get to see it.
    Good point. But I'm more than willing to risk that, if that means it doesn't feel rushed.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Rey. This character is incredibly one-dimensional and nearly flawless. She literally seems to know how to do everything, fly's the Millenium Falcon better then Han Solo, having never flown it before, and her "challenges" are overcome without nearly any struggle or complication.

Her character is extremely unrelatable when compared to the flawed, down-to-Earth portrayal of Luke who struggles with the loss of his aunt and uncle, is thrust into a war with the Empire and must work very hard to hone the skills of a Jedi making an extremely gratifying and endearing story arc that Rey has none of. And my question is why? Why have the developers of this series created this female lead without any of these grounded and relatable traits? And J.J Abrams made it pretty damn clear that he wasn't hiring actors for this film based upon their merit or skill, he was determining who would be in this film based on race and sex...period. And throughout the film Rey continues to embody this "perfect" feminist female role model, besting men at physical combat, showing and unbeleavable inate skill for spacecraft navigation and fighter piloting, and then summoning Jedi abilities and defeating someone who had clearly been training far longer and harder, who also happened to be male. Maybe many were able to ignore this ham-fisted PC indoctrination, but regardless of whether you picked up on it or not it made the film worse narratively as well.

The creators of this new trilogy seem to have utterly abandoned proper storytelling and creativity and instead have decided to take Lucas's asinine "echo" of past films concept, at least in creating The Force Awakens. I do not know how The Last Jedi will shake out but honestly I am not looking as forward to it as I might have been if J.J. Abrams and Disney hadn't made this about diversity rather then about good storytelling and deeper, more relatable characters.

Here's one of my favorite breakdowns of what is wrong with The Force Awakens:

Sorry for the rant, I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan and watching my beloved series become a political tool rather than an entertaining fantasy escape from our current divisive political climate disgusts me.

What? I fundamentally disagree with so much of that. Feels like you/this youtube guy are really trying to reach for political stuff in Star Wars when it's not there. Putting meaning where it was not intended I think is just silly.

First of all, I find Rey compelling because of that extended walkthrough we get of her life. She lives alone, abandoned by her family, abandoned by everyone, scavenging from destroyed imperial ships (which had pilot simulations, language training, etc, that she made a lot of use of, hence why she could pilot the falcon, understand chewie, etc) and is all-around down to earth. Luke Skywalker freaking personally blew up the death star within like a day of leaving Tatooine. Luke is just as "one-dimensional" as Rey is.

I'm totally OK with episode 7 being an homage to the original movie - but it sounds like the rest of these will be quite different
    the ancient gamer and jw224 like this.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

What? I fundamentally disagree with so much of that. Feels like you/this youtube guy are really trying to reach for political stuff in Star Wars when it's not there. Putting meaning where it was not intended I think is just silly.

First of all, I find Rey compelling because of that extended walkthrough we get of her life. She lives alone, abandoned by her family, abandoned by everyone, scavenging from destroyed imperial ships (which had pilot simulations, language training, etc, that she made a lot of use of, hence why she could pilot the falcon, understand chewie, etc) and is all-around down to earth. Luke Skywalker freaking personally blew up the death star within like a day of leaving Tatooine. Luke is just as "one-dimensional" as Rey is.

I'm totally OK with episode 7 being an homage to the original movie - but it sounds like the rest of these will be quite different

Like I said I don't expect everyone to perceive everything the way I might. Living in California my whole life in Silicon Valley and having to put up with the hardcore PC culture since I was a teenager has made me extremely attuned to seeing this bullshit being infused into everything around me.

You like the film and find her character endearing, great. I must agree to disagree though.

And as for Luke blowing up the Death Star at least he illustrated that his skills at flying T16's on Tatooine shooting Whomp Rats was present, as well as some extremely good luck. And he was getting his ass handed to him by Vader until Han saved him allowing him to take the shot. It felt far more dire and exciting then Rey beating the shit out of Kylo Ren with zero training or dicipline. And maybe I missed the part about her training in the imperial ships, which looked dead as hell. I'll have to revisit that to see.
    Last edited by Darth Praxis; 1 Week Ago at 01:45 PM.

Nintendo NID
    Rugmouse
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DwideSchrude Steam ID: Rugmouse
    Kylo Ren was shot in the side, slashed across the shoulder by Finn, and an overall bloodied mess by the time he fought Rey. While I can see Darth's point about her being essentially flawless, I hardly considered it some sort of political agenda having a woman best a man in that scenario.

But also, I can drum up some political agenda in basically anything Hollywood has produced since its inception.

Nintendo NID
    ohmyrob
    i really don't think disney pushes to be PC. outside of little things here and there, the only turnoff that i have noticed is the main girl in the last PotC movie.

however, i can see the new lion king movie making things interesting.

Rey. This character is incredibly one-dimensional and nearly flawless. She literally seems to know how to do everything, fly's the Millenium Falcon better then Han Solo, having never flown it before, and her "challenges" are overcome without nearly any struggle or complication.

Her character is extremely unrelatable when compared to the flawed, down-to-Earth portrayal of Luke who struggles with the loss of his aunt and uncle, is thrust into a war with the Empire and must work very hard to hone the skills of a Jedi making an extremely gratifying and endearing story arc that Rey has none of. And my question is why? Why have the developers of this series created this female lead without any of these grounded and relatable traits? And J.J Abrams made it pretty damn clear that he wasn't hiring actors for this film based upon their merit or skill, he was determining who would be in this film based on race and sex...period. And throughout the film Rey continues to embody this "perfect" feminist female role model, besting men at physical combat, showing and unbeleavable inate skill for spacecraft navigation and fighter piloting, and then summoning Jedi abilities and defeating someone who had clearly been training far longer and harder, who also happened to be male. Maybe many were able to ignore this ham-fisted PC indoctrination, but regardless of whether you picked up on it or not it made the film worse narratively as well.

The creators of this new trilogy seem to have utterly abandoned proper storytelling and creativity and instead have decided to take Lucas's asinine "echo" of past films concept, at least in creating The Force Awakens. I do not know how The Last Jedi will shake out but honestly I am not looking as forward to it as I might have been if J.J. Abrams and Disney hadn't made this about diversity rather then about good storytelling and deeper, more relatable characters.

Here's one of my favorite breakdowns of what is wrong with The Force Awakens:

Sorry for the rant, I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan and watching my beloved series become a political tool rather than an entertaining fantasy escape from our current divisive political climate disgusts me.
    That's all utterly ridiculous, and you should know better. Rey is CLEARLY presented as being a super hero sort of wielder of the Force. That's even addressed in the latest Last Jedi trailer. If it bothers you that she isn't a male, I don't think the problem lies with the storytelling.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rugmouse View Post
    Kylo Ren was shot in the side, slashed across the shoulder by Finn, and an overall bloodied mess by the time he fought Rey. While I can see Darth's point about her being essentially flawless, I hardly considered it some sort of political agenda having a woman best a man in that scenario.

But also, I can drum up some political agenda in basically anything Hollywood has produced since its inception.
    I see your point and I also understand if you look hard enough at anything you can attribute virtues and characteristics that maybe weren't entirely meant to be attributed. I do regularly try my hardest not to allow current events and politics to color my perspective on films. I think the straw that broke the camel's back as it were for me with this particular film was hearing J.J.Abrams outright say that diversity is at the forefront of his mind when casting his films and shows, and in reference to the Emmy's in 2013 he stated "you look around the room and see the whitest fu€#!ng room in the history of time. It's just unbelievably white." Why does that need to be paramount in his decision making process for casting? Does he feel guilty? Clear he must.

Now this isn't to say he didn't cast The Force Awakens well as Ridley and Boyega both did very well in their respective roles, but it seems rather then incorporating actors into roles based on their prowess that race and gender must be considered first, and unfortunately this favoritism tends to bleed through in the writing as well.

Look, I still enjoy the film being a Star Wars fan and do my best to ignore these subtle and not so subtle messages being presented. I also hope that The Last Jedi moves past this nonsense and focuses on character building that I can get behind. Sorry to have pee-pee'd in the Corn Flakes folks....I'll let the new trilogy discussion continue uninterrupted from here on out...

Luke - young but good mechanic-type, demonstrates no pilot abilities but says he piloted a T-16, blows up death star virtually single-handedly
    Anakin - is 9 years old, super mechanic, wins massive pod race, destroys trade federation command ship single handedly
    Rey - young scavenger, spends entire life in imperial ships, Darth is surprised she can fight, beat damaged Kylo Ren that just killed his own father

George Lucas is quoted as saying he made those first two do all these insane things to try to demonstrate the power of the force and the will of the force. All Darth is demonstrating is a fundamental misunderstanding of the star wars franchise, and I don't think it's sexism, as ancient seems to be implying (that may be me putting words in his mouth though)

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

That's all utterly ridiculous, and you should know better. Rey is CLEARLY presented as being a super hero sort of wielder of the Force. That's even addressed in the latest Last Jedi trailer. If it bothers you that she isn't a male, I don't think the problem lies with the storytelling.
    I should know better....clearly you and I are not going to agree on this my friend.

I have not condemned anyone's opinion or called them out for having a differing one to my own and I do not understand why you feel the need to do so, and in so many words possibly even question my character.

Whether Rey was male or female is absolutely irrelevant to the story. Again, to be explicitly clear...in my opinion if her character had been developed with more relatable traits and flaws I would have much more readily accepted and cared for her and her plight. And the knowledge of some Force superpower held within her was not made clear until the end of the Force Awakens, and is really the first time in Star Wars lore I can remember a Force wielder just having that power from the get go. Even Anakin had to train and build over decades to become a competent Jedi.

24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, California
    I actually am totally down with this. The main trilogy and prequels weren't what made me stick around. I like the universe George Lucas created but the movies can be a little boring at times. I love the expanded universe and I hope this trilogy is about the Old Republic back when there was a Sith-Jedi war. I don't care about Luke Skywalker, the Chosen One, Yoda, etc. I want to see the third Battle of Geonosis, LAAT's flying into heavy anti-air fire, Republic troops, Joe Everyman the Jedi, etc. The Clone Wars animated series did a good job of actually portraying the Clone Wars as an actual war so I have high hopes for this.

I didn't have a problem with Rey being a female lead hero. I can see some of the points about things coming a little too easy for her. And I really didn't start thinking they may go in the direction of intentionally shoehorning in female lead heroes until Rogue One. I seriously don't have a problem with female leads, but I do think it would be ridiculous if they thought they had to do that from here on out just to keep people from being offended by a male lead.

On the other hand, we have "down to earth" Luke. But Luke is also an annoying whiny crybaby.

Darth Praxis likes this.

I didn't have a problem with Rey being a female lead hero. I can see some of the points about things coming a little too easy for her. And I really didn't start thinking they may go in the direction of intentionally shoehorning in female lead heroes until Rogue One. I seriously don't have a problem with female leads, but I do think it would be ridiculous if they thought they had to do that from here on out just to keep people from being offended by a male lead.
    Oh we all know why they did Rey and Jyn. Disney owns the "girly princess" market and now they're going for the rest of the market
    WoodenSaucer and Darth Praxis like this.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Oh we all know why they did Rey and Jyn. Disney owns the "girly princess" market and now they're going for the rest of the market
    Why not BOTH?

WoodenSaucer likes this.

I have not condemned anyone's opinion or called them out for having a differing one to my own and I do not understand why you feel the need to do so, and in so many words possibly even question my character.

Whether Rey was male or female is absolutely irrelevant to the story. Again, to be explicitly clear...in my opinion if her character had been developed with more relatable traits and flaws I would have much more readily accepted and cared for her and her plight. And the knowledge of some Force superpower held within her was not made clear until the end of the Force Awakens, and is really the first time in Star Wars lore I can remember a Force wielder just having that power from the get go. Even Anakin had to train and build over decades to become a competent Jedi.
    Did this all start, or did it not, with you claiming that Rey's arc was all a "SJW" gimmick? Did I not read what I actually read? Let's be real, here. Sure, you can have issues with the logic of the plot--as you've sort of detailed there--but I'd like you to elaborate on how the plot represents a "SJW" gimmick, SOLELY because Rey is female. Anxiously awaiting that. That is actually what you actually said. Please expound.

Leia has existed since the beginning of the saga. In fact, she's the first hero we see in the original trilogy. Don't see how there's "shoehorning" from here on out.

As far as Rey goes, it's unbelievably clear she's...I don't know?...an aberration? The REAL Chosen One? Whatever, we'll find out, I'm sure. Luke clearly knows something is going on with her...my guess is that the last Force sensitive person he witnessed with her ability is Palpatine. We'll see.

I think The Force Awakens is incredible. Happy it came about, rather than some half-assed cash grab.

Leia has existed since the beginning of the saga. In fact, she's the first hero we see in the original trilogy. Don't see how there's "shoehorning" from here on out.

As far as Rey goes, it's unbelievably clear she's...I don't know?...an aberration? The REAL Chosen One? Whatever, we'll find out, I'm sure. Luke clearly knows something is going on with her...my guess is that the last Force sensitive person he witnessed with her ability is Palpatine. We'll see.

I think The Force Awakens is incredible. Happy it came about, rather than some half-assed cash grab.
    First of all, I didn't say they're shoehorning female leads from here on out. I said it would suck if they did, and the fact that they did it again with Jyn made me question whether that would happen more than I did with just Rey. Secondly, Leia was never the main hero. She was a "leading lady." Lastly, I made it clear I don't have any problems with lead female heroes. I just don't want it to end up being continually forced just because of some cause.

And I loved The Force Awakens, too. I had a lot less of a problem with it than most people. The biggest complaint I've heard is that it copies the original too much. I thought it was just fine.

Lastly, I made it clear I don't have any problems with lead female heroes. I just don't want it to end up being continually forced just because of some cause.
    What would that "cause" be?

What would that "cause" be?
    Lol. Ancient, you knew what you were getting into when you prodded Darth. You know there are people with pretty polarizing viewpoints.

But in the context of my post where I made it clear that I never said they're doing it yet, the "cause" would be a feminist cause. Why else would they decide to make every movie have a female lead? (which, again, I didn't say they are. )
    Darth Praxis likes this.

I hope the thing goes on forever. Or far outlives me, at least. Star Trek is a measured, traditional sci-fi exploration of humanity at the time its various iterations are released, which is fine. Star Wars is more of a pure love letter to the indomitable goodness of the human spirit. I'd have no problem with that stretching out until the end of time.
    I thought it was about terrorists upsetting the one stable government in the universe over and over?

But seriously, I love Star Wars. Disney generally makes good movies, and has for many, many years. The books have been popular for a long time...I see this lasting a very, very long time. And I don't think it's a bad thing. The Simpsons are going on how many seasons for example.
    3ds FC 2251-5240-1611

Wii U ID: MjekuMati

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    We need a Spaceballs trilogy. Part three with be subtitled E.T.: The Extra Testicle.
    Rugmouse likes this.
    Lunkhead.