• 1 Post By Dustin
  • 1 Post By savinghyrule
  • 3 Post By DeviousOne
  • 1 Post By savinghyrule

Thread: My thoughts on E3 2017

Nintendo NID
    jrb363

Lightbulb My thoughts on E3 2017

Hey guys! I haven't created a new topic in nearly 10 months and I figured E3 2017 would be a good reason to start one!

I know a lot of folks were underwhelmed this year...but I think that's the wrong view to take.

1. Microsoft appears to have steadied their ship and are full-speed ahead. If their software development can catch up to the hardware side we'll all be in for a treat. Competition only makes us better.
    2. All titles that Sony showed have release dates. I don't expect all titles to ship on their expected dates but, seriously, when's the last time they had dates for all titles? I can't remember a single time.
    3. There is a lot of potential for future surprises in the back-half of 2018 and beyond. Many titles and quiet studios we've heard nothing from in a long time. (Retro, Sucker Punch, MGS, etc...just to name 1 from each console maker)
    4. Sony and Nintendo delivered with the games in a very big way. The titles all looked solid and we, as gamers, have a lot to be excited about. Microsoft appears to be, slowly, catching up.
    5. Sure the look of a lot of titles was 'The Last of Us Part 2, 3, 4, 5...' but still. It's a lot more interesting than 'Random Shooter #34'.

Overall I think those are my 5 takeaways from this E3. We have a lot to look forward to with new hardware (Xbox One X, Switch acceleration), software coming soon and yet to be seen and most importantly all 3 companies seem to be in the game to win and not simply participate with gimmicks or stupid shit outside of the only reason we're all here...gaming.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Yeah I thought it was decent overall. I had no large complaints

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    jpd01 likes this.
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Nice breakdown buddy!

I have to say that I also felt that Sony was "cookie-cutting" their titles out of the same game engine which is probably why there was such a tremendous similarity between titles graphical styles. Days End for me was the LEAST interesting game Sony showed looking to have borrowed a LOT of cues from Horizon Zero Dawn, as a matter of fact I called it "Horizon Zombie Dawn" during one of the streams.

But Sony seemed to have no soul in their presentation. It was definitely "cinematic" but that cinematic feel definitely came with a healthy dose of pretentiousness as well.

Nintendo made it short and sweet, hitting almost all of the right notes but missing the mark for a "perfect" E3 presentation that footage, preliminary or otherwise, would have gone a LONG way in belaying many a disappointed fan expecting to actually SEE something with Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon RPG.

Microsoft's conference was in my opinion the most balanced if somewhat underwhelming. Scalebound's cancellation has really left a gaping hole in Microsoft's lineup even as many months as it's been since they parted ways with Platinum. But seeing what the X1X can do and surprisingly many of the indie titles coming to Xbox really won me over.

I'd say Nintendo and Microsoft generally tied for best presentations and Sony took a fairly close 3rd.
    Last edited by Darth Praxis; 06-13-2017 at 11:00 PM.

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

MS' first party offerings were blah other than The Last Night. XBX is a terrible idea and they should have just rode out XB1 before moving onto a next gen 1080p system. 4k is the next VR. It's impractical, it means huge installs, it means huge DLC, it means huge budgets, and it means the power is wasted on resolution. Small game developers need next gen chips that provide new tools to render effects in their games instead of higher resolutions for textures that they don't have the resources to generate.

MS needs a real overhaul with Halo 6-- Metroidvania world, Pikmin-style controlled grunts in multiplayer, more weapon variety, and improved forge (perhaps campaign levels).

Nintendo could stay alive if Metroid 4 is awesome, if Retro's MIA game is awesome, and if they fix their voice chat issues.

Sony's offerings are suffering from there being too many realistic third person games. I didn't see all of their stuff, but it seemed like VR was dead.

Anthem looks interesting but I'm confused as to whether it has a first person mode or not. The video started in first person and then shifted to third. I'm getting a sense of 3rd person exhaustion this E3 (where in the past there were too many fps games).

COD is a must buy for me this fall. I haven't taken a ride with Carl on Duty in a few years and I'm interested in the return to older tech with WWII.
    Last edited by Dustin; 06-14-2017 at 12:20 AM.

I'd say Nintendo and Microsoft probably tied for having games I was actually interested in playing. Sony sure seems to love some QTEs and some interactive movies. It's just not my thing.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Inception
    I'd say Nintendo, Microsoft, Ubisoft, and Sony all pretty much tied with having solid conferences that depended on your taste in games. EA's wasn't bad, it was just exactly what we all expected (with a teaser for anthem). We don't need to mention Bethesda.

All around a good E3 imo, and much more excited for more games coming soon than I thought I would be.
    Darth Praxis likes this.
    NNID: Inception
    XBL: ​ ScurvyJallen
    Switch: 4520-4188-2329

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    I think Nintendo won this year's E3 simply because most people went in expecting nothing and, well, we definitely got something. I also think they won in terms of who will earn the most sales from this year's E3. I think E3 will affect Nintendo the most positively out of all of them, because Pokémon alone will really impact their overall sales numbers. I thought that Sony had a much better E3 than people gave them credit for. Of course we wanted to see The Last of Us 2, Kingdom Hearts, FF7 Remake, etc.. But some of those are unrealistic. Most of those games will take quite a long time, and you can't just put all your cards in the same basket especially in Sony's position where this console war is their's to lose. Now, after what Nintendo did this year I think Sony will have a much better E3 next year.

As for Microsoft.. Look, I wanted them to show me something that would make me want to buy an Xbox One X. They didn't. Forza looks amazing as always, but I wouldn't buy a console for a racing game ( unless of course it had a FF7 character in it ). I sold my Xbox, and thought I would get Scorpio but they just really didn't show anything to me. Would it be enticing to play Gears with Darth? Yeah, but I need more than their three major franchises. Even Scalebound could have been persuasive, or a new Fable, anything. Sadly it seemed to be Forza, a bunch of indies, and Microsoft being very sneaky saying the word "exclusive" a million times when if you read the fine print, or in this case listen very closely (?) those games aren't really exclusive and are just timed exclusives or whatever.

Sony meanwhile did have some new content, and got the rights to show off games like Call of Duty. Still, I think as long as you own a Switch we can all agree either of the two twins will make a great companion console to the Switch. The Xbox is a great system with good games in my mind, but unfortunately there just isn't the Japanese content that I am interested in.

As for the publishers and devs and what not.. EA did horrible, in my opinion. There is no need for them to even have an E3 event anymore. Anthem looks cool, but that was literally all I cared about except FIFA for Switch. I'd say they were the worst. Ubisoft had a very good E3. Bethesda was a bit disappointing, but they made up for it with Skyrim on Switch.

Side note, getting an XB1 this year will finally allow me to play online games and **** talk with people on this forum since Nintendo never made that possible.

Their QTE obsession is going to hurt them in the long run (next cycle). Sony got their seat at the head of the table this gen because they were offering variety on PS3. A lot of 360 owners felt optimistic about their software strategy for PS4.
    Last edited by Dustin; 06-14-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Nintendo won E3. Metroid (x2!!!), Pokemon and Rocket League announcements - and the implications of Nintendo listening that the announcements bring - is what did it for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sir Donkus of Puncherelus heimbachae's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    no animal crossing. im rioting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    inquire within

Nintendo NID
    DeviousOne
    Im at E3 Sony and Nintendo booths were nuts xbox was ok but Nintendo won e3. All i heard from ign people and other people i talked to was sony and nintendo the xbox one x bombed lmao

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    (((Post King)))

Nintendo ID: DeviousOne

DeviousOne's Reviews:
    Wii U: Nintendo Land New Super Mario U

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Welcome back bro

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk