Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1599Likes

Thread: BotW impressions.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13

BotW impressions.

Most of us have this game so I was just curious as to what you thought so far.

Please use the spoiler tag when appropriate.

Mods, if this thread already exists feel free to close it; I looked but didn't see any like this.

Thanks!

Lunkhead.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    We're back, baby, with permission of our supreme Canadian overlord!

(All hail the Max!)

BS aside, what are your thoughts on BotW? I think it's pretty good so far. I set myself on fire accidentally and thought that was hilarious! I'm still on the Great Plateau, and the old man is getting my nerves. I don't think the combat is as difficult as it's been made out to be, but of course I'm still just starting out.

I don't like the item selection process, I think it's clunky and I wonder why the GP wasn't utilized. That would have really improved the game IMO. The amount of control options are surprising; I'll try out the Pro controller at some point since the GP does nothing at all.

The archery feels good; wind and drop feel accurate. I don't care for the puzzle crap.

BotW is still hand-holding but it's much less obnoxious this time around.

I like this game so far. The danger is back and the fairytale stuff seems to have gone away.
    Lunkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by drew79 View Post

(All hail the Max!)

BS aside, what are your thoughts on BotW? I think it's pretty good so far. I set myself on fire accidentally and thought that was hilarious! I'm still on the Great Plateau, and the old man is getting my nerves. I don't think the combat is as difficult as it's been made out to be, but of course I'm still just starting out.

I don't like the item selection process, I think it's clunky and I wonder why the GP wasn't utilized. That would have really improved the game IMO. The amount of control options are surprising; I'll try out the Pro controller at some point since the GP does nothing at all.

The archery feels good; wind and drop feel accurate. I don't care for the puzzle crap.

I like this game so far. The danger is back and the fairytale stuff seems to have gone away.
    Wait till you get one shot later on

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Kahhhhyle, Rugmouse and heimbachae like this.
    NNID: ScottG
    3DS friend code: 1864-9028-8671
    Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Dream Suite Address: 4800-2561-7720
    Switch friend code: SW-5890-1732-7315

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    I got the game today and I have done 8 shrines up until now. I really like the game, but it doesn't feel like a Zelda game... sort of. It's so different from the rest.
    ShyoN_Malo likes this.
    Twitter: MatboksenYT
    Instagram: MatboksenYT

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

I like it. Actually I like it a lot.

The combat feels way better then previous Zelda games, exploring the world, finding mini bosses and Koroks, running from guardians in terror.

If I were to criticize anything I'd complain that the shrines are way too easy so far. I was hoping for some hard puzzles, but most of them seem to just be an exercise in using runes. That, and I was never in the camp that wanted an open world Zelda. So I actually dislike the lack of direction, I feel like I'm doing a quest that I have no hope of completing so I dunno how I'll ever complete it.

Overall I really like it though.
    ShyoN_Malo and FlamingFury like this.

I have mixed feelings about it. The world is dynamic and great...but the story feels like a let down so far (I'm only at the first village).
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3997-7816-3766

3DS Friend Code: 0533-8845-6374

Steam ID: Max_Lazy_10

Origin ID: Max_Lazy_10

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    I have mixed feelings about it. The world is dynamic and great...but the story feels like a let down so far (I'm only at the first village).
    The story took a backseat to the world. Have you reached Kakarioko yet? (I feel that's not a spoiler) The story starts moving a bit when you get there.
    Switch likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick
    my favorite 3D Zelda(so far). I wont be able to completely rank it till i fully beat it,but so far its the most enjoyable zelda game to me in a long time. Giving me the same feels I had playing ALTTP and OOT when i was younger
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Ultimate Switch Insider FlamingFury's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    BlazeDog
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kippykipp Steam ID: flaminfury
    I wish there was more music. I don't get why people would hate the old man. He's the least intrusive tutorial character 3D Zelda has had.
    I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE!​​​​​​
    Feel free to add me (just let tell me your forum username so I know who you are):
    NNID: BlazeDog | 3DS (FC):
    0860-3362-4053

I've put in around 20 hours thus far and I'm having a blast. I also don't think it's as difficult as reviewers made out, though I have died 24 times to date. I'm not ashamed to admit that the first of those was falling from Great Plateau Tower, the second was from freezing in a river and four more were from being too close to my own bombs.

I initially started off following the story before taking a massive detour after the second town to chart the southern half of the world. I ended up back on the story path by accident and now I've been clearing out some of the more tutorial-esque quests (teaching you how to use the Camera and Sensor) that I was supposed to do ages ago. I'm currently working my way into the northern half of the map to uncover fast travel points and hopefully towers.

Other than that, I've just been filling out the Compendium. I really enjoyed doing it in Xenoblade Chronicles X and it's a lot more engaging in Zelda due to the camera mechanic and the fact that you can see the objects in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wu_wei_lion View Post
    I've been 1-shot 10 times thus far. Most of those were my own fault though, like trying to climb Central Tower that's surrounded by Guardians and neglecting to upgrade my hearts until after I'd beaten my first boss.
    Last edited by Death; 03-06-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    drew79 and FlamingFury like this.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTLG View Post
    I got the game today and I have done 8 shrines up until now. I really like the game, but it doesn't feel like a Zelda game... sort of. It's so different from the rest.
    That's because it's old school.
    Rugmouse likes this.
    Lunkhead.

Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jpd0184
    If you feel the story is a little lacking then when Impa gives you the photo quest go try and find the photo locations. They fill in a massive amount of the game's story. Or go do the dungeons, the story is there, not so much in the world itself. But if you're only at the first village then I don't think that you've actually experienced the story yet. That's too early really, you haven't even interacted with anyone yet (besides Impa) that's actively involved in the story.
    Switch, Kahhhhyle and FlamingFury like this.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

Other Gamer IDs

Are you talking about the Guardian machines? If so then let me give you a tip;
    For all that the guardians will one-shot you without massively increasing your hearts, you can also one shot them without any special equipment right at the start of the game.
    It's quite simple, just parry their beam shot. Wait for them to shoot and the blue light flashes just a split second before the shot. Parry and it will reflect the shot back into their eye and one-shot them right back. All you need is a shield (doesn't matter the quality) it kind of breaks the game a little. Unless you get two gang up on you then they stop being a threat after that.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by jpd01 View Post
    If you feel the story is a little lacking then when Impa gives you the photo quest go try and find the photo locations. They fill in a massive amount of the game's story. Or go do the dungeons, the story is there, not so much in the world itself. But if you're only at the first village then I don't think that you've actually experienced the story yet. That's too early really, you haven't even interacted with anyone yet (besides Impa) that's actively involved in the story.
    I'll take your word on it!

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    You'll NEVER guess who my daughter found tonight!!!

Possible SPOILER!!!

Yerba_Sutra likes this.

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post

Possible SPOILER!!!

I thought that was Amiibo locked???
    Darth Praxis and heimbachae like this.

Other Gamer IDs

Possible SPOILER!!!

You people with your filthy filthy Amiibos.

Other Gamer IDs

It is, to my understanding it's a random drop from Amiibos, just like the costumes.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nights illusion PSN ID: gamenchick

Darth Praxis likes this.
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Other Gamer IDs

Anyone tried the wolflink Amiiboo yet?
    Darth Praxis and heimbachae like this.

Anyone tried the wolflink Amiiboo yet?
    Me. It's nice having a companion.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Other Gamer IDs

Me. It's nice having a companion.
    I heard you can give him a bunch of hearts by completing a certain amount of the challenge dungeon in TPHD.

Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    For all that the guardians will one-shot you without massively increasing your hearts, you can also one shot them without any special equipment right at the start of the game.
    It's quite simple, just parry their beam shot. Wait for them to shoot and the blue light flashes just a split second before the shot. Parry and it will reflect the shot back into their eye and one-shot them right back. All you need is a shield (doesn't matter the quality) it kind of breaks the game a little. Unless you get two gang up on you then they stop being a threat after that.
    DUDE!!!!

You just want to make us die LOT, that's all!!

SWITCH CODE: 5851-4468-3890
    DISCORD: Darth Praxis #5187
    3DS Friend Code:4141-3790-6603
    My Daughter's NNID:QuoraStar

Click HERE for my latest articles!

Other Gamer IDs

DUDE!!!!

You just want to make us die LOT, that's all!!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

Nintendo NID
    riseBLUEsun
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: riseBLUEsun

(All hail the Max!)

Still sounds like you want something that isn't Zelda. The puzzles and fairytale stuff is what Zelda is made of.

I heard you can give him a bunch of hearts by completing a certain amount of the challenge dungeon in TPHD.
    Yeah but I didn't so he only comes with 3 hearts. Granted he kills animals a lot so I've never run out of food now.
    Darth Praxis likes this.

You can get all of the amiibo items in game. It's just much easier to get them with amiibo

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    Zelda makes me feel like a complete noob like no other game ever. I feel like I am a pretty hardcore gamer and I put a lot of time into games, but I don't usually like games that are purposefully ridiculously challenging and make you want to scratch your eyes out. I have definitely been frustrated a few times on BotW, but damn is this game fun. It's challenging, but it's a fun challenge. It's not a challenge just to be a challenge, there's a point to it. Whenever you do die or fall off a cliff or what have you, you may want to throw your Switch into the fish bowl. But then you'll want to jump right back into it and finish what you were doing.

The shrines aren't extremely difficult, but I have ran into a few that were tough. Again though, they're generally the fun kind of difficulty. The combat is great, the game looks great. And yes, I do feel like the story is a little slow, but the world and just the whole atmosphere around you makes up for that. Rain can get annoying sometimes when you're trying to climb something and you have to wait until it finishes or go rest somewhere, but again that's just part of the great atmosphere which is why it's called "Breath of the Wild". It's wild! You're in the wilderness and the game does not shy away from throwing that in your face at every turn.

This is truly a game for the ages. Not only should fans of the series be pleased, but also gamers who maybe weren't into the series before. I say that because I myself wasn't, and I have spoke to others who weren't prior to this game either but love this game. It's a great GAME. Not just a great Zelda, a great game. I really don't have anything negative to say about it. I am into this game and addicted like I haven't been with a game in a long, long time.

Oh, and on the amiibo note I do plan on buying quite a few because they do actually do some cool things in the game. I have put around 16 hours into the game so far and I plan to put a ton more.

24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, California
    I thought you could only do that with the guardian shield but it's good to know I can use any shield I have.

Other Gamer IDs

You can get all of the amiibo items in game. It's just much easier to get them with amiibo

Are you sure? I looked around online when i found out that the Amiibos unlock outfits, epona and wolf link but all the info I found says that unique items that randomly spawn from touching the Amiibos once per day are locked to Amiibos usuage.
    Epona seems to be locked to the Smash bros Amiibo and the classic tunic is locked to the 8-bit link Amiibo etc.
    Do you have a link?
    Last edited by jpd01; 03-06-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kamehamehahh
    Are you sure? I looked around online when i found out that the Amiibos unlock outfits, epona and wolf link but all the info I found says that unique items that randomly spawn from touching the Amiibos once per day are locked to Amiibos usuage.
    Epona seems to be locked to the Smash bros Amiibo and the classic tunic is locked to the 8-bit link Amiibo etc.
    Do you have a link?
    I do, but sorry he is busy climbing towers right now.

Other Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Cloud Strife View Post
    I do, but sorry he is busy climbing towers right now.
    Hehehe.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: savinghyrule
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahhhhyle View Post
    I like it. Actually I like it a lot.

The combat feels way better then previous Zelda games, exploring the world, finding mini bosses and Koroks, running from guardians in terror.

If I were to criticize anything I'd complain that the shrines are way too easy so far. I was hoping for some hard puzzles, but most of them seem to just be an exercise in using runes. That, and I was never in the camp that wanted an open world Zelda. So I actually dislike the lack of direction, I feel like I'm doing a quest that I have no hope of completing so I dunno how I'll ever complete it.

Overall I really like it though.
    There's like 100 shrines. Give it a few to increase the difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by capnjazz View Post
    I thought you could only do that with the guardian shield but it's good to know I can use any shield I have.
    I knew you could parry the lasers but I didn't realize it one shot them

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Nintendo NID
    tux-peng
    Other Gamer IDs

Steam ID: tux_peng
    The weapons break a bit quickly

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

3DS FC: 1349-5347-2670
    MiiVerse, Skype, Steam... tux_peng

Anybody who thinks the game is easy try fighting Lionel. The guy is such a piece of garbage!
    Quote Originally Posted by savinghyrule View Post
    There's like 100 shrines. Give it a few to increase the difficulty.
    I'm not saying they'll all be like that, just that so far they've all be disappointingly easy.

I'm not saying they'll all be like that, just that so far they've all be disappointingly easy.
    I've done 21 shrines and they've all been really easy. I have more fun exploring and finding the shrines than I do actually completing them.

PSA, turn off your sensor.
    Kahhhhyle likes this.

PSA, turn off your sensor.
    Ya know when the game said I could turn that off I wondered why I ever would, but after 10 minutes of nonstop beeping I was desperately trying to find out how to turn it off

I never did figure out how, and it's only actually helped me find a shrine like twice.

Ya know when the game said I could turn that off I wondered why I ever would, but after 10 minutes of nonstop beeping I was desperately trying to find out how to turn it off

I never did figure out how, and it's only actually helped me find a shrine like twice.
    Open your map and hit y. It tells you how to turn it off when you get it and that's like the first thing I did.
    Kahhhhyle and drew79 like this.

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by riseBLUEsun View Post
    Still sounds like you want something that isn't Zelda. The puzzles and fairytale stuff is what Zelda is made of.
    It wasn't always that way, buddy!
    Lunkhead.

Ultimate Switch Insider FlamingFury's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    BlazeDog
    Other Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kippykipp Steam ID: flaminfury
    It wasn't always that way, buddy!
    And Mario wasn't always able to get power ups.
    I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE!​​​​​​
    Feel free to add me (just let tell me your forum username so I know who you are):
    NNID: BlazeDog | 3DS (FC):
    0860-3362-4053

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFury View Post
    Back when he was jump man

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFury View Post

I think the POW block and hammer count.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    Lunkhead.

I wasn't expecting this when I unlocked my second fairy.

Do you have a link?
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...nder_no_longer

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Other Gamer IDs

Following the link back (hehe link) that is specifically talking about the new Amiibo, the BOTW editions. They only spawn in-game items, a few of which I've found around the world.

Epona, and the other functioning non-botw items such as the classic link costume, wind waker costume cannot be obtained in game without Amiibo.

Here's a list.

Super Smash Bros Link

Probably the best unlock in the game. The first time you scan this Amiibo, you’ll get Link’s horse, Epona from the Ocarina Of Time. However, it’s incredibly important to note that it appears that you can only get its once. Every subsequent time you’ll get a random piece of weaponry, food items or a piece of Link’s clothing from Twilight Princess.

Smash Bros Ganondorf

Ganondorf drops some material that you can use for cooking and crafting. You can also get some rare weapons including am Amiibo-exclusive Sword of the Six sages.

Smash Bros Zelda

You’ll get items that you can use for cooking and crafting plus a chest with a rare weapon. The best thing you can get is a Twilight Bow from Zelda.

Smash Bros Sheik

You’ll get items that you can use for cooking and crafting plus a chest with a rare weapon. The best thing you can get is Sheik’s Mask Armour.

Smash Bros Toon Link

You’ll get some fish (of course) plus the potential to get Wind Waker armor, as well as a boomerang.

Twilight Princess Wolf Link:

Probably the second most useful Amiibo in terms of actually giving you something in-game. You’ll get Wolf Link as an ally. He will join you in combat. His amount of hearts are affected by the data saved to the Amiibo from Twilight Princess HD.

8-Bit Link

You’ll be able to get a bunch of barrels which will contain food and rupees. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a piece of classic weapons or a tunic from classic Link.

Ocarina of Time Link

You’ll get a bunch of raw meat as well as a chest which could contain a piece of the Ocarina of Time Link costume or a biggoron sword.

Wind Waker Link

Similar to the Smash Bros Toon Link, you’ll get a bunch of fish plus a chest that could contain a boomerang or Wind Waker armour.

Wind Waker Zelda

You’ll get a bunch of useful plants for cooking plus the potential to get the Hero’s Shield from Wind Waker, which is incredibly useful.

BOTW Amiibo

Archer Link

You’ll get a rare bow-type weapon, plus the potential to get a variety of food.
    Horse Rider Link

You’ll get a unique horse saddle as well as some food. There’s a small chance of getting a high-end weapon as well.
    Zelda

This is a big. You’ll get some plants for you to cook with as well as the Hylian Shield which is by-far the best shield in the game. It’s incredibly rare.

The only piece of classic armour I've seen be Amiibo free is the Dark Link costume from OOT which can be farmed.
    Last edited by jpd01; 03-07-2017 at 01:13 AM.
    heimbachae likes this.

Other Gamer IDs

I wasn't expecting this when I unlocked my second fairy.

Sir Donkus of Puncherelus heimbachae's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    Other Gamer IDs

Gamertag: heimbachae PSN ID: heimbachae Steam ID: heimbachae

BotW impressions.

i'm having a good time even though i'm getting my butt whooped in the jungle right now. i think i may go back and just head to kakariko village because i haven't found a shrine in forever and i'm getting bummed out by it. need to level!!!
    oh and one thing about horses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    inquire within

Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
    i'm having a good time even though i'm getting my butt whooped in the jungle right now. i think i may go back and just head to kakariko village because i haven't found a shrine in forever and i'm getting bummed out by it. need to level!!!
    oh and one thing about horses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did that as well. [spoiler]I knocked an undead guy off his bone horse and stole it[/spoiler]

heimbachae likes this.
    Animal Crossing New Leaf

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Without spoiling anything, is anyone getting an idea yet where this fits on the timeline?
    Darth Praxis likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast