Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: The Wii U is dead

Sir Donkus of Puncherelus heimbachae's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    you should apply at Nintendo. they'll make a position especially for you called: Senior WhatpeopleREALLYwannaplay Analytical Manager. you'd be in charge of ALL games coming to the West. screw those old bastards in Japan we need fresh ideas around here!!!

Sent from Dreamcast

inquire within

The life cycle of Wii was what, five years. Isn't Nintendo on the five year cycle? So yeah...the lifespan of the Wii U is ending.
    "You must fight with honour! It is against the rules to throw the king out the ring!”

Sony prove my point as of 7 hours ago

The Wii U is dead

Of course, they announced it was a legacy platform months ago.
    It's not new news that they've left it behind. What I'm looking forward to is vanilla ware's new game for the vita and to see how many of the numerous Japanese games in development for the system get localized.

I'm not surprised that the vita is a legacy platform as Sony currently has to support PS VR and PS4 and with their current policy of conservative spending and lopping off underperforming branches of their business model the writing has been on the wall for quite a while.

Regurgitated from my Nokia 3310
    Last edited by jpd01; 10-26-2015 at 05:31 AM.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

Gammechick made me do this.

Nintendo Id: jpaton09

My point being though is that how can the wiiu be dead when it's not officially a legacy platform like the vita?

My ultimate point being though is that there's lots of games to look forward to coming on the Wii U and it's still officially supported platform, but because OP games are not released yet, they call the system dead, but I think this proves their post mute with all due respect, the op is purely opinion and I respect that but it's opinion dressed as fact and I find that a little off.

The Wii U is dead

The vita and the Wii U are funnily in opposite positions. The Wii U has 1st party support (even if it is thin) and no third party studio support. While the Vita has no 1st party support and plenty of 3rd party support, provided you like Japanese content there's still plenty going on now and into next year.

I just wish they had opened up the platform for ps2 ports from the PS3 section of the psn store for the vita. Shame they didn't though.

Meanwhile I'll be looking forward to sinmegamitensei x fire emblem and xenoblade and I can't think of a game announced for the Wii U past star fox with the new Zelda being up in the air.

Last edited by jpd01; 10-26-2015 at 06:00 AM.
    All views expressed are subjectively the views of their owner unless otherwise indicated.

You nailed it dude.

And that's also why there's no way Nintendo will be ready to launch a new system in 2016. They threw way too much at the Wii U in 2014 for them to have a decent launch window in 2 years.
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    But she doesn't like any of the games I like. I'm not sure I'd want her to be the one in charge.

You're making an indie game for the Wii U, though. So you kind of need it to not be dead. I agree that it's not dead, but you can't deny that the overall support for it is very weak.

I disagree with that last statement. They gave us a couple of their big hitters in 2014, but that's about it. After that, they've pushed off so much that it would be easy for them to port all of these games to the NX and have an amazing launch at the end of 2016.
    the ancient gamer and jw224 like this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

I've posted a list of what Nintendo's big studios have been doing in another thread, but don't feel like finding it again

Between Wii U and 3DS there won't be any studios to work on games for a 2016 release besides Retro. And I'm not fully informed on how the EADs spilt up development, but they've shown they can churn out games fairly quickly. So they can probably have a game ready in time too, but I don't see them having a good launch window if they launch next year.

What if they took most of the stuff they're already working on and ported it to NX, though. That's what I'm saying they're going to do.

Ultimately no support is not the best but I think if people supported indie games more I think many many more great titles would come sort of a protest buy and let's be honest many titles on the indie front are so cheap it's not worth not buying them

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    It's got to be a tough balancing act for Nintendo with WIIU. There is no way it'll ever be considered a financial success at this point. So it makes sense to cut your losses. At the same time, you don't want to alienate loyal customers, but resources are finite and some people demand stuff that is simply unreasonable or impossible or simply imprudent. That aside, Nintendo could have really stepped up at some junctions and simply did not. For example, a retail release of say Wave Race might have been deemed too expensive for it's expected return, but why not have Monster work on a smaller eshop version for $20?

Something I find baffling is how many people, even non Nintendo fans, seem excited about NX, which again we know nothing about. It's probably a ways away, will be fairly expensive, have a paltry line up at launch and for awhile afterwards, etc. Meanwhile WIIU is a known commodity. A price cut to eliminate stock and move software makes sense to me at this point. Get Nintendo games into the hands of more players to build up brand awareness/loyalty. Utilized correctly, the WIIU could possibly be sort of a transition console to the NX. While I don't see that idea being a huge success, you gotta start somewhere.

I think if they officially said no NX until 2017, cut the WIIU's price, and started advertising their exclusives both new and old, a lot of people might get it as a secondary console or even just for their kids.
    WoodenSaucer and Kahhhhyle like this.

That possible... But what exactly would that be? You think amiibo festival will be delayed for NX? Or is this stuff we've never heard of?
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

I agree with the sentiment mostly but there are a ton of cheap indie games that aren't worth the time or money to waste on.
    In a way the Wii U might be a good platform to place an indie game on as there's not a giant pile of them flooding the market every day like on steam.
    On the other hand there are a bunch of boring indies piled on as well.

Cloudkill87 likes this.

Just about the bolded, I think they're probably showing they don't care about that. And if you just look at numbers, they would only be pissing off 10 million people, compared to the Wii's 100 million. And I can't remember the numbers, but there are something like 260 million people who haven't made the "next gen" leap at all. They can't make decisions right now based on 10 million people. They've already made most of us mad, anyway.

Lol. Just some things we've heard whispered. We know there's a great chance Zelda U will be on the NX, too, and if it is, it will be launch. If it's a simultaneous release, that will be huge for the NX. There are tons of people who never bought a Wii U, who would buy an NX for Zelda.

Then we hear the rumblings about Metroid not coming until the next console. That could have been a hint, and it probably wouldn't be made in house. Plus what Miyamoto (?) said about a new Mario not coming until the next console. My thought is that they'll optimize the 3D World engine for the NX's hardware, and create a new Mario game from that. It will not be a 3D World 2; it will just be using the same optimized engine. That engine has a lot of potential, and it has the capability of having free camera perspectives. They really could make a great new Mario game from that, and do it very quickly.

Star Fox is rumored to come in February, so that's not going to be a dual release. But even if they just launch with Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, the gaming world would be going crazy.

Well we already know Metroid isn't happening. They said they haven't even began development on a new Metroid and it would take at least 3 years to make one.

Zelda and Mario I can agree on, and Pikmin 4 is probably coming out for their next system as well.

But that's just 3 games. I'm hoping that after the 3DS and Wii U Nintendo will have learned that having appealing software in the months to follow is just as important as the launch day.

Edit: And Pikmin 3 proved that Pikmin games aren't moving systems.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Yeah, I forgot about Pikmin 4. You're right. If they had Zelda, Mario, Pikmin 4, and a bunch of 3rd parties, they could have a killer launch. You can't forget that the NX will probably get the thirds back if the hardware rumors are even close to being true. I do agree that they need to not have droughts after the launch.

And what if we end up getting a Tomb Raider Definitive Director's Cut Edition with more realistic hair?

Plus Retro's game too... But I'm starting to feel like I'm defeating my own arguement lol. Do you really think they can rely on third party games though? After what happened with Wii U I certainly wouldn't want to go down that road again...

And personal preference, but I don't care about hair physics
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Well thats because you do not like anything in general :P
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I mostly agree, WS, but those 10 million are the looneys who buy everything Nintendo. That kind of fanatics tend to be long term fans, and that's really nothing to dismiss. Numbers wise it's jack shit, at least based on one console, but over a period of time that sort of adds up. With the WIIU Nintendo vacillated and didn't seem to know where to go. Sure, they want huge sales, but their style of game making simply doesn't appeal to a huge audience anymore. The WIIU is a console without a real identity, and while that could also be said for NES, SNES, GC, it was seen as a bad thing for WIIU. N64 had a pretty distinctive audience, as did WII. They were different audiences, sure, but they knew who they were targeting. The previous 3 consoles I mentioned along with WIIU lack focus.

And again, I gotta go with Dustin: giving great WIIU a second shot on NX is probably a smart way to go, especially if they can spruce them up a bit. I'd hate to see NX become the remake box, but sometimes you gotta shore up your foundations.
    Kahhhhyle likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    but then it would be like ps4/xb1

-insert laugh track-
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Well, I didn't want to be the one to say it, GNC, but... yeah. I have mixed feelings on the topic. I dislike remakes/remasters as they feel like cash grabs, but I like anthologies, compilation carts/discs, best of, that sort of thing. I don't want to encourage people to rebuy stuff they already own, but I do want good games to be experienced and appreciated by more people. And I don't want LoZ or whatever to go multiplat. But what if Hyrule Warriors did? And included a demo for Bayonetta 2, which would remain exclusive? That might be interesting.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    i dont mind remakes/remasters but they have to make sense, like something 10 years or older. Not like 1-2 year old games getting re-released with barely any differences lol
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

You mean better looking hair isn't important ?

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    @GNC We are in agreement. I thought it got colder in here... and the lakes of fire are certainly dying down. I think the Mike Bay attitude of huge games cas kinda left the industry bereft of anything that isn't a surefire hit, which means more of the same, pushed out as quickly as possible whether it's ready or not. That same mentality means every movie is getting remade... poorly.

A certain amount of time needs to pass. Woody and Kahhhyle pointed out TP had been released ten years ago, but damn, it seems like much less time than that IMO. Plus, this path is stopgap at best because eventually you'll run out of stuff to remaster. I hope Nintendo does remakes very sparingly.

@ Dmoness, great hair is important if you are a ninny. Or Sasquatch, or Chewbacca, or Cousin Itt.
    Last edited by drew79; 10-26-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    the ancient gamer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    I don't mind remasters cause typically they are more goty based. for example, I never played the last of us on PS3 so I asked for it for my birthday last year and poof I got the remastered PS4 version. much better looking plus more content. It's easier to swallow I guess for me.

Sent from Dreamcast
    inquire within

Well, we're already seeing signs that the 3rds are liking what they're seeing. Plus we have SE and others already whispering about support. And SE didn't do jack squat for the Wii U. So yeah, I think there's a chance if the hardware is right.

Not true. I just like all the games you don't like.

Normally, I would agree with you. But it seems like as time goes on and their old gamers are getting old, that crowd of the loony Nintendo fanboys is shrinking exponentially. If they keep trying to hold onto that forever, they're going to be screwed.

One of the big things that I think is cool about the XB1 is the Rare compilation. That right there is the right way to do it.

I don't see the NX coming out before 2017. They're just distributing dev kits, that means you have to tac on quite a bit of time for dev's to learn the hardware, make an actual game, - IF they choose to make anything on the system at all. I've learned my lesson from past purchases. Getting a console as soon as it hits is just setting your self up for disappointment these days. Takes way too long for systems to get a decent library. Imo, ps4/xb1 are still lacking a decent library 2 years after their release. And we all know how long it took WII U to get decent software.

The Wii U has a solid 2016 left to keep gamers content. I can see Nintendo throwing out a surprise or two to keep us going until NX does hit. Zelda U is a lock, regardless to if they do a twilight princess multi-system release or not.

The system is far from dead for me. It offers a lot more than the other current consoles that are becoming adequate dust collectors in my house more than they are gaming machines.
    heimbachae likes this.
    Currently Playing: PC: Unreal Tournament 4 Alpha Wii U: New Super Mario Bros U, Hyrule Warriors Xbox One: Not a thing PS4: Replaying - Infamous Second Son 3DS: Animal Crossing New Leaf

Waiting for:
    Wii U: Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox Zero, Legend of Zelda U
    PS4: Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, Mirror's Edge 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, No Man's Sky
    PC: Star Wars: Battlefront, Unreal Tournament 4, Fortnite, Overwatch, Inner Chains, P.A.M.E.L.A, Serious Sam 4, Doom

Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    I see the NX potentially being teased next E3..... and now that I've said that all we are going to get is metroid prime federation force 2. dammit.

Sent from Dreamcast
    Serotonin likes this.
    inquire within

I think there is a chance it could be different this time, though, which is why I still believe for a 2016 holiday launch. If they're going with familiar x86 hardware that is reasonably powerful, all these game companies have to do is port the games they're already working on, which doesn't take that long. The release isn't for another year from now, minimum. If they just port the games that are already in development, there is no reason there couldn't be a ton of multiplats ready for launch November of next year.

You're right about creating games from the ground up, though. That's why we won't see any exclusives, other than first party, for a while longer.
    the ancient gamer likes this.

I think they're going to have to. There's no way that they can come up with an appropriate flow of content on their own that makes any sort of financial sense.

I totally agree. But as Woody pointed out, Nintendo's obviously doing just that, and rolling the dice with their whole strategy. But we do have to keep in mind that all of those people won't be disgruntled enough to dismiss the system at launch, too.

So few people have bought the Wii U, I think it would be a good move to remaster some titles from that library.

SE put out a few games for Wii U. There was Deus Ex, and Dragon Quest in Japan. The fact that third parties are on board right now doesn't do much to convince me when they gave up on Wii U so quickly, and when their games don't traditionally perform as well as they do on PX/Xbox consoles. Granted the whole "porting iz hard" arguement won't work, but still I don't just take their word at face value. And after the Wii U and 3DS Nintendo would be wise to do the same.
    WoodenSaucer and drew79 like this.

We won't know for quite some time what's going to happen with that whole situation, it's true. And Nintendo's going to have to put more effort into maintaining things third party--and not give up if the going starts to get tough. But everything Woody pointed out above, if true (and it probably is), will guarantee them of having substantially more third party support right off the bat.

Nintendo NID
    heimbachae
    OH man imagine it now, Smash for Wii U remastered to get 1080P and 60fps............. wait a minute................

Sent from Dreamcast
    inquire within

The Wii U had third party support off the bat though. It was when the sales of the system dropped like a rock that they stopped making games for it.

Why did sales drop like a rock? Because for quite some time the biggest exclusives were NSMBU, and ZombiU. They need a steady stream of exclusive content to keep sales up.

They could include all the extra content though, and more...
    heimbachae likes this.

Yeah, that's true about SE. And it's also true about the Wii U having tons of "support" in the very beginning, mostly before it even launched. But if some rumors and things we're thinking turn out to be true, the NX could be a very different story. The first thing we need to find out is if the rumor about it having powerful hardware is true. If so, then the whole outlook will be different. The Wii U was said from the beginning to be even weaker than the PS360. When that was proven false, it was still looked at as on par. Then the PS4 and XB1 came out and way overpowered the already floundering Wii U only a year later.

This time, there's the opportunity for the NX to not just be on par with its competition, but to easily overpower it. And there is also the possibility that it will have much more than a one year lead on the next consoles. If all of that gets publicized, how could it not get better support than the Wii U?
    drew79 likes this.

The bolded is somewhat true, but the two things go hand in hand. And this time around, if the NX is a capable x86 device, it could conceivably get a bunch of holiday releases, right away. What did the Wii U get? Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed were both pretty much on time, and while those are both big franchises--and nothing to sneeze at--those two games were it.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Kahhhyle gets it. Just because porting a game from PS4 to NX is easy doesn't necessarily mean 3rds will do it. If we have seen anything from thirds in the past few years it's that they are greedy ass holes with the financial sense of a gerbil. And if they do port it? Will it be a top notch effort? Or will they outsource it to their team in Transylvania? (Which might be cool, actually.)

Right now the install base for NX is zero. Everybody seems to assume Nintendo gamers are going to get the best 3rd party efforts. I'd say history, recent history, trashes that idea. Unless Sony or MS jumps out of the console game, Thirds won't give Nintendo equal support unless they have to or are bribed to. It really is that sad. If the NX does great they'll make a few good games and tons of shovelware. That's kind of how they operate.

Have people lost faith in Nintendo? Indisputably. But what happens to EA when they ruin all their franchises? It happened to Konami, Capcom, etc. I think it's a matter of time, really.

We did get an extremely crappy Madden port, didn't we?

You guys keep forgetting that there was a time when the Wii U had an install base of 6 million, and the PS4 had an install base of zero, and everyone was supporting the PS4, rather than the Wii U. You have to remember that they don't just go by install base, or they would never move on to a new generation. They forecast potential. They didn't see potential in the Wii U within 6 months. If they see potential in the NX, they'll back it.

Plus you also have to remember, if it's x86 and powerful, it's not going to be as much of an investment risk for them to port games as what the Wii U was.

The whole ease of porting is nonsesnse I was porting from Apple Mac, Wii U, PC and mobile last night no problems, the problem with the wii u was EA and Nintendo getting into a tiffel in the begining, that and devs don't like conpetiting with Nintendo first party titles.

What would be wrong with that?

Yeah. Three months after the other version released...
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    @AG I never said it was wrong, mind you. But it does seem kind of shameful. It seems sort of wrong for consumers. But consumers support that sort of thing so I suppose they are complicit. Doesn't mean I have to agree with the practice though. It's sort of like prostitution: it's a moneymaker and while I personally don't like it, it will continue. I still think it's wrong though. Some people bought a WIIU for Rayman Legends being released on the promised date. And it was shelved! Why? Because Nintendo didn't offer a sufficient bribe? I can only speculate. But that's an A hole move by UBI anyway you slice it.

Anyhow, forecast potential aside, I still believe if 3rds had actually made an honest effort (new games, exclusive games) for WIIU it might have turned out very differently. But they did not. And when I see EA and UBI putting out universal crap, it makes it hard for me to believe Nintendo was the sole culprit. I'm inclined to think they wanted money for equal or lesser treatment and Nintendo told them to go f*** themselves, they don't negotiate with terroists or assholes. Was that a good (and again, imaginary call)? That I do not know.

But I would have told them to go screw on principle.

Nintendo should just plan on no 3rd parties and expand their development teams until they are cranking out enough 1st party exclusives to support a console.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

That's the approach is take as well. Not necessarily that they should try to get third party developers making games for their platforms, but they should prepare for a future without them.

I don't see how we can argue about 3rd party support. History has shown since the N64 that third parties have been abandoning the system.

Nintendo systems are bought to play Nintendo games (consoles, not handhelds). I don't care how you slice it, it's the truth. Now, is that enough to keep Nintendo in the game? I don't know. The lack of success on Wii U says it's not.

I don't expect EA, Ubisoft or anyone else to just magically accept the new system and put out blockbuster software. You'll get a few ports of already established games that will be several months old by the time the NX gets them and then all the 3rd parties will scream when the software doesn't sell.

This is what happened on Wii U, no one cared about Black Ops 2 or Madden 13 or Mass Effect 3 because they were old. They had been out for months on other systems. But EA goes up in arms about poor sales. Well...try to support the system with a new game before you judge.

Do not buy a NX expecting stellar 3rd party support. It slowly went away on n64, remained empty on gamecube, and only briefly came back on Wii because of the anomaly that the Wii was, it was correct with Wii U.

I don't expect NX to get anything more than a handful of old ports, maybe one mediocre exclusive by a third party and then several first party titles for it's first year. I've been gaming too long to think anything is going to change after so many promises and hope with every system Nintendo brings that eventually gets abandoned by everyone but Nintendo.
    drew79 likes this.
    Currently Playing: PC: Unreal Tournament 4 Alpha Wii U: New Super Mario Bros U, Hyrule Warriors Xbox One: Not a thing PS4: Replaying - Infamous Second Son 3DS: Animal Crossing New Leaf

Waiting for:
    Wii U: Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox Zero, Legend of Zelda U
    PS4: Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, Mirror's Edge 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, No Man's Sky
    PC: Star Wars: Battlefront, Unreal Tournament 4, Fortnite, Overwatch, Inner Chains, P.A.M.E.L.A, Serious Sam 4, Doom

That's exactly why I've been saying 3rds can port games they're already working on to the NX, and the NX can easily have plenty of launch games by a year from now.
    Cloudkill87 likes this.

Yeah but what's the new excuse going to be? They pull out the we can't port to the wiiu due to architecture nonsense now when that's hardly the case at all, then what will their new excuse be now that holes been potentially plugged?

I honestly believe there won't be as many excuses, and we'll get good multiplat support, if the rumors about its hardware are true.
    Cloudkill87 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast