• 2 Post By Madmagican
  • 2 Post By capnjazz
  • 1 Post By the ancient gamer
  • 1 Post By legendofzelda
  • 1 Post By the ancient gamer
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 1 Post By Desend
  • 2 Post By Madmagican

Thread: Handheld gaming...does it still offer advantages?

Nintendo NID
    jrb363

Handheld gaming...does it still offer advantages?

I've just slowly gone away from handheld gaming due to big screen televisions, HD gaming, surround sound, improved online experience, ease of use, etc. A part of me will always love handheld gaming since it's what I grew up with and, as a kid, having only one television in the house meant that often times the only way to game was to use my Game Gear. Or late at night, when my parents were asleep, I certainly couldn't chance getting caught playing on the television so I would break out the Gameboy Advance and turn a flashlight on to see it as I played. (ahhhh youth )

Just curious as to how handheld gaming has changed for you guys and if it's still as important as it was in your younger days. As I mentioned, console/PC gaming now offers so many advantages over the antiquated 3DS hardware and lack of Vita support from Sony that both (or, more realistically, Nintendo) will need to bring their AAA game to get me to consider picking up their next-gen systems when/if they release.

A part of me honestly hopes Nintendo goes with the Fusion rumor that's been floating around so we can have true cross-compatibility between their next home and handheld units. What I'd give to play Animal Crossing NX on the big screen then seamlessly take it with me on a 720/1080p 4-5" screen.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. Just started wondering why I play my handhelds so little these days and I got to thinking about what Nintendo/Sony could do to win me back as a consumer.
    Last edited by jrb363; 07-12-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    gameboy likes this.

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Banned
    what is handheld gaming? is it some sort of inferior gaming device compared to home consoles and pc? why would anyone punish and torture themselves like that? ┐(‘~`;)┌
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    dawntoino
    despised recent love for ps4/ps3 the most gaming time over the year goes to vita/3ds

some games I favour on handheld as rpg
    Comme on a dit de Louise Attaque

Et on fait comme on a dit tu ferais pareil avec lui
    Mais on fait comme on dit toujours la même chose
    Nous les rêves on les multiplie

Et on fait comme on a dit...
    Tu ferais pareil avec lui
    Mais on fait comme on dit...
    Nous les rêves on les multiplie

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Can't wait until Woody posts in here...

Anyway, yeah, I can see how some people don't even want to give handheld gaming the light of day, but for me, I love StreetPassing (will be doing quite a bit of that @ SGC next weekend), and some games I do prefer on handhelds. But I do get how some people think that handheld gaming is a waste of time, without even factoring in Nintendo's basically undying devotion to the 3DS.
    Switch FC: SW-1653-7750-0034
    XBOX Live GamerTag: aMarioFan64
    3DS Friend Code: 0516-7292-0435
    PM me if you add me!

Banned

well i agree with woody. handheld gaming is an inferior gaming experience, all those games can be made on pc and consoles and with much more content. handheld gaming is a waste of money, and the only reason you would want to get a handheld, is you are 5 or its on the go, but then again, if you are on the go, shouldnt you be doing something else besides handheld gaming?

24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, California
    I prefer my 3DS library over my Wii U/PS4/Steam library. I can't play Monster Hunter anywhere else, plus I like my RPGs on handheld.
    estoy likes this.

Yes being on the go is kinda the point vector
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

Banned
    you should being doing something else besides gaming if you are on the go, games are meant to be played at home. like jazz likes monster hunter on handheld, well what if they were on his ps4? it would offer much more content and why would you be hurting your eyes with the super low resolution?

i get it if you are 5, or a pre teen, then yea handhelds are fine, but if you are a adult playing with handhelds, then you are doing yourself a disservice and should throw the thing in the fireplace and stick with consoles and pcs

Lol. If people want to use handhelds they can. Sorry but some of the stuff you post makes me
    Last edited by jw224; 07-12-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    RaY_210 and Crozen like this.

No, Bantz is life.

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    Except if I'm staying somewhere far from home like a hotel, and I don't want to bring a console or laptop. Or if I'm on a Bus going somewhere and I want to occupy myself. Look, I get that you don't like handheld gaming. I knew that even before this thread. But saying we should chuck our handhelds in the fireplace isn't doing you or anyone else any good.
    jw224 likes this.
    PM me if you add me!

Banned
    is there something wrong with me giving my honest opinion?

I just think maybe you should think about what you're about to type cause it seems like you don't. Handhelds are made for when you can't get to a pc or console. That's the point of them. If you don't like them fine but saying nobody should play them is silly.

No, Bantz is life.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Let's see here:

I could play low res games on a screen so small that I need reading glasses, with tinny sounding speakers or headphones cutting into my ears, and a control scheme that causes carpal tunnel syndrome.

...or

I could play HD games on my big screen TV with a surround sound system, not being limited by weak hardware and whatever can fit on a small flash drive, with controllers that were specifically engineered to be ergonomic and comfortable.

Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Banned
    see, its ok when you do that, but when i do it, i get blasted all around. double standards here much?
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Crispy95
    It offers a Metroid spinoff, but that's more of a disadvantage honestly...

Sent from Zebes
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

Nintendo NID
    eCockpit
    He didn't say to chuck your 3DS in the fireplace. Besides, if I wanted to watch a 3DS get roasted, I'd just watch a youtube video of one getting microwaved.
    RaY_210 and capnjazz like this.
    PM me if you add me!

Nintendo NID
    Madmagican
    I've always had a bit of a preference for handhelds since I'm often on the go and only have time for a few quick sessions when that's the case and handhelds are just... more personal. Not many people are gonna interrupt a guy on his 3DS to see or ask what he's playing, no one's gonna walk in front of a screen in a critical moment.

Handhelds mostly have games build around being played in quick sessions like that (see ANY major game on the 3DS)

There's also a better selection of JRPGs on Nintendo's handhelds than honestly anywhere else and throwing in portability sure doesn't make things worse.

The problems have been stated above me, they're tiny, uncomfortable, hardware-wise inferior, little systems that have come to symbolize the childhood phase of gaming because of their cheaper price tags and marketing.

But handhelds should be played for the same reason people play on home consoles/computers. To have fun. And they ARE fun. The 3DS still arguably has the best library of this entire generation of consoles and that might not change for awhile.

It's all preference really

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4184-6307
    Switch FC: SW-1962-1750-8219
    NNID: Madmagican

Agreed, plus he implied it was only ok for children and pre-teens to play handhelds. Didn't he like the Batman games? You know, games based off a super hero made for children?
    jw224 and RaY_210 like this.

I have no problems with the DS or 3DS, based on the limited time I've spent gaming on them. But outside of portability, and a few exclusives, has there ever truly been an advantage to the portable systems? I mean...even on the bus, or train, or on vacation, isn't that sort of a limited kind of deal? It's nice--but it's like a portable DVD player (or streaming to a smart device), as opposed to a home theater set-up...
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

I'm not sure what everyone considers an advantage, but a good majority of people in Japan and the East have switched to handheld/portable gaming because it's more convenient and you can play in close proximity of your friends without having to lug around a console. I'm sure they see other advantages in handhelds over consoles (as evidenced by sales figures) but I mainly enjoy being able to grab my 3DS and walk into my roommates room to play Monster Hunter with him.

67b847631985b30f31461b9656b054d5.jpg

I understand some of the benefits, but it's never stuck with me. I bought a 3ds just for link between world's but don't think I've touched it since. Honestly, while they're obviously portable devices I just don't feel comfortable carrying them around.
    RaY_210 likes this.
    Nintendo Network I.D - legendofzelda
    PSN - highway_assassin
    Xbox Live - highwayassassin

You enjoy playing Monster Hunter with Demise? Ohhh...

The Japan situation is it's own deal--limited funds, limited space, long commutes being a thing for a big percentage of the population.

So I'm not sure that's really much of an argument. But, whatever, do you prefer handhelds, yourself? And I don't recall--do you have a Vita, too?
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

I don't like handhield gaming.

Nintendo NID
    Satsedude
    I like handhelds for mobility, but other than that, it doesn't really have any advantages imo. Some of the games that are on handhelds I wish were ported/remade for console. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, pretty much every Pokémon game, Majora's Mask 3D, etc etc...
    Wii U NNID: Satsedude

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with other people wanting to put themselves through that kind of misery; I just don't want to participate.
    RaY_210 likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    Desend
    I have no problem with gaming on a handheld as a SECONDARY system. I cap that because, seriously that's what it always was for me and I don't like that the less powerful hardware had moved its way up to becoming the priority over the home console for Nintendo.

Still though, it has its place. I do like just chilling in bed jamming out on a game from time to time. Sometimes All the TVs in my house will be occupied between games or Netflix or whatever so I can still get 30 minutes of gaming in if I'm not in the mood to sit around on the computer. Sometimes I just want to play a little bit of Fantasy Life or sometimes I just don't have the hours it takes to be engrossed into some huge game.

When I was younger I used to love taking the Gameboy or the Gamegear on the bus but yeah. I can't think of the last time I took the bus anywhere.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 2337-3603-7726
    Nintendo Network ID: Desend
    Feel free to add me, just let me know so I can also add you!

Nintendo NID
    Madmagican
    Guess I'm the odd one out then

grew up playing on handhelds because my mom didn't want to see "violence" on the TV (she considered Banjo Kazooie and Star Fox violent) and now they're integral to my gaming experience.

PC and Wii U are nice supplements though. Won't deny that.
    WoodenSaucer and Desend like this.

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4184-6307
    Switch FC: SW-1962-1750-8219
    NNID: Madmagican

Nintendo NID
    RayU84
    I much prefer console to handheld gaming. And I've been trying to game more the last few weeks, but I can't until the kids are asleep. Not because "my wife won't let me play with them around" kind of thing, but more because if I try to play, then they'll go for the system or the Gamepad while I'm playing. I tried giving them dummy controllers, but that doesn't work. And they're not even 2 yet! And I could bust it out after they sleep, but then the Wii U would be the first thing they go after when they got home. And I'm not gonna bust it out and put it away every night lol. And my wife isn't going to want to put it away every morning lol. Sooooo.....

Long story short, I've been gaming on my handheld recently. And while I would rather be tackling ZombiU out of my backlog, I'm just enjoying gaming again.

​With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!!!

*if you add my NNID, try to go through Miiverse so I get a notification, and let me know it's from Wii U Forums