Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Death
  • 1 Post By Dustin
  • 1 Post By cmb
  • 1 Post By Dustin

Thread: **** Square Enix and their bull****!!!

Nintendo NID
    jrb363

Angry **** Square Enix and their bull****!!!

Sky July 18, 2014

You know I normally use blog posts for relevant information only, such as project announcements or releases. However, I’m sorry this time it’ll be a little bit different:

Unfortunately I’m forced to remove my posts and pages related to the popular Final Fantasy Type-0 fan translation project. That’s right, certain game company thinks that threats and false accusations are the way to treat its biggest fans. For the time being I can’t answer questions related to this matter, but I’ll write a more comprehensive post about all this once I get the chance.

I hope you understand, and as always I appreciate your support (that I might need more that ever in the near future).

Thank you very much:

~Sky

----------------------------------

This is a really low blow by Square Enix. They ignore and disrespect their fans for years only to shut down the fan-translation project when they decide to bring the game over years later? What a horrible decision that kills years of work by dozens of people who were working due to their LOVE for Square Enix and Final Fantasy. I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing this game now because of this...and it was one of my 'Day 1' purchases when it released.

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    Sega did the same time with Seventh Dragon (on DS), but a guy make a translation later and translate all =0

I don't really like Square-Enix... I did love them, but now :S

edit:to Dmoness below

shitz, I remember that one. They did make fabolous remake of music but then "NOPE"...COME ON!
    Last edited by Link_16_hit; 07-18-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

Happened before with some fans working a a chrono trigger fanremake

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Yeah, I remember hearing about that remake. It was freaking beautiful!

This just goes to show how utterly stupid they are.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

It's not really surprising that Square Enix would want to quash any fan-made localisation efforts prior to its own localisation being released commercially, but I wouldn't be surprised if this move results in further detriment to Square Enix' reputation among its fans and gamers alike.

I personally wouldn't have bothered with the fan-made localisation anyway as I dislike using emulators and unofficial translations when an official option is readily available, but it's no surprise that Square Enix figured an unofficial translation could cut into its potential sales on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. I didn't have much of an opinion of Square Enix to begin with, so this move hasn't really hindered my perception of the company, but I can't say that I'm a fan of the move either (for various reasons, including my view on intellectual property rights).
    Switch likes this.

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    The problem is that for years there hasn't been any word on a translation by Square Enix. The fact that the fan translation releases literally days prior to the "surprise E3 announcement" by Square Enix just reeks of corporate greed.

It's like they suddenly went: "Wait a minute! People must REALLY want this! Let's shut these guys down and take the money for ourselves."

I bolded that part because there still isn't an official translation, and without an official date, it's still up in the air. Square Enix might as well have said "We'll get around to it eventually...keep waiting." The fan translation is out NOW and with my limited Japanese abilities I must say I am VERY impressed with how well it translates. I'm far from a native speaker obviously, but I can appreciate the time, effort, resources and dedication the team put forth.

One more thing: It's interesting to me that Square Enix is just now trying to stop it, only weeks from the "full official" release per the translation website. This shows SE has known about this for quite some time and were wait for...what? If they wanted to stop it they could have done so the moment it went live June 9th with the reasoning "We're officially announcing it". But to wait until the last minute is a pretty dick move on their part.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

I don't get how any company can stop any person or group from releasing a mod or translation that is free? Were they planning to charge for this?

If you're doing something that you're not profiting from then you're not violating any laws.
    Switch likes this.

cmb
    Nintendo NID
    srmario
    Meanwhile Valve decides to publish and greet light a fan community made source engine remake of half life.

Valve for the win.
    Switch likes this.
    Metal Gear Solid 5 for Wii U
    Steam ID: cmbsfm
    NNID: srmario

Warner Brothers did the same with the LOTR mod for Skyrim. They may not have any legal ground for doing it, but these people are dedicated fans doing this in their spare time, they can't afford lawyers to deal with it.
    It's bully tactics, and they work.
    Metal, video games, and Lego are best things.
    Current setup

House Biscuit - We do not Preorder.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    silly square-enix, just make FF13-4
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    link_16_hit
    I dunno, but maybe Copyright stuff? IF even it is that, that's clearly stupid. I would take a Fan-Translation game over a real game xD (Tales of Phantasia SNES, or FF IV, which the SNES is the "hard" mode and didn't censor anything)
    3DS FC:1676-3708-5129 Sadly waiting for 7th Dragon III code: VFD and Maybe MHX
    games I'm playing : Lufia I, Etrian Odyssey 4, MH4U, Kamidori Alchemy Meister
    games I'll play after I finished some : Lufia II, continue 7th Dragon and 2020,

I would literally give zero ____s for their threats if doing something that I'm not charging for-- that's the end of the case right there, whether you have a lawyer or not. You can't lose if you're not profiting.
    Last edited by Dustin; 07-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    capnjazz likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Madmagican
    I wanna say they stopped a fan-made FF7 movie from being produced a few years ago

Square Enix is entirely too touchy with their IP

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4184-6307
    Switch FC: SW-1962-1750-8219
    NNID: Madmagican

The law is so ****ed that you could actually lose, and they can't afford to risk that.
    Metal, video games, and Lego are best things.
    Current setup

House Biscuit - We do not Preorder.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    so thats what happened to it. I was wondering where that went
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter