Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I know this has probably been asked before but...

Nintendo NID
    jrb363

Lightbulb I know this has probably been asked before but...

I was curious if any of you think we'll see a Wii U + Pro Controller option at any point in the system's lifespan. I know, it defeats the purpose of the Gamepad completely and a number of games are designed around it. (but most don't require it) I've owned my Wii U (playing it as I type this) for a nearly a month now and I love it. Plus, compared to the competition it's one hell of a deal: 2 free Nintendo games + free online play + a touchscreen controller + a HD console capable of beautiful games? Sign me up!

I'm not trying to start a doom and gloom thread, because Lord knows there's enough of that mess going around, but if sales plateau around the ~500k/week mark when the big hitters come out in 2014 and then quickly drop off I think Nintendo might really want to consider doing something different. If they could get the system into peoples hands at $199 (or $149 if they get truly desperate and assuming they can drop $150 off the price due to the Gamepad) I don't think Nintendo would be able to produce enough to meet demand for at least 6 months. I'm being completely serious. That price is stupid low and at that point there would be no excuse for even the Nintendo haters to avoid picking one up, especially since the Xbox One and PS4 will probably stay priced pretty high for the first 2-3 years after their launch.

One other question I have: Why haven't we seen the Gamepad in stores yet? Is it really that expensive to manufacture? Also, please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Nintendo originally plan for people to have multiple Gamepads working simultaneously with a system. What happened to that idea? Is the Wii U not powerful enough or were developers just annoyed by the idea so they scrapped it?

I am well aware of the reasons this can't/won't work I just felt like playing devil's advocate late tonight. Now that school is over I find myself focusing on more important things like Nintendo and video games.

Thought/Comments/Questions/Concerns I welcome them all!

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363
    3DS Friend Code: 3308 - 5572 - 2631
    PSN: jrb363
    Steam: jrb363
    Origin: jrb363
    UPlay: jrb363
    Xbox Live: jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Wii would like to play with U

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    I stopped wanting to read at ''they should drop the price to $200 or $150''....really....?

Also I believe it was in 2014 that they said they wanted to start selling gamepads separately,unless plans have changed, I really couldnt say. It would be nice though if they finally started selling them in stores,considering they are going to have dual gamepad supported games
    ((( Playing With Power )))
    booga booga
    Nintendo Network ID: 0047-7271-7918
    XBOX Live: Nights illusion
    PSN ID: GameNChick
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    1. You shouldn't cast judgment without first reading the entire post. I understand if you disagree but admitting you stopped reading and "really" being your reply doesn't offer anything to the conversation at all. You could have easily just ignored it without being insulting about my idea. It's a legitimate concern if sales drop off again after Christmas, especially since Nintendo is still losing money on each console.

Also, I will agree that pricing the Wii U at $149 is "ridiculous" as you put it. Fine, price it at $199. I only quoted those prices based off of 'build material' pricing I researched online and how low Nintendo could go with pricing a 'bare bones' system without losing their shirt.

2. I am glad to hear this. Any rumors or ideas for potential duel-Gamepad games that might be coming out? (Yarn Yoshi would be my first guess based on the pics I've seen)

If/when they do release the Gamepad separately I hope it's around $99 and that Nintendo will go back and update titles such as Mario 3D World to take advantage of multiple Gamepads. Probably won't happen, but a boy has to dream!
    Last edited by jrb363; 12-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Firstly, I think you're taking it too seriously if you considered what I said insulting in nature. It's just not plausible at all to even consider a $150-$200 price point at this point in time, it just doesnt make sense no matter which way its spun. In the future down the line? absolutely, but at this point in time, it just doesnt make sense

and no thats not ''insulting'' you, its just giving my view and if you think I was ''insulting your idea'' then apologies, that wasnt what I was doing, so dont take as such please
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    All is forgiven, no offense taken! I did clearly state in the OP that Nintendo should only consider doing this AFTER all of the 'big hitters' for 2014 come out and only IF sales are still really low. So...yeah.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    it still wouldnt be plausible from a financial stand point nor help their image

Not only would you be losing A LOT of money on every Wii U sold but at the same time you'd have a massive price drop that make your system look weak at $150 in only its second year(u said big hitters and they're in a 2014 release).

I don't know, I dont feel the answer to Wii U selling is just ''price drop!'' like a lot of people think. Not saying you, but that's all I hear people on the internet say is ''price drop'' and its really not a viable option at this point in time nor in 2014.

and dropping the gamepad is not really viable too as that would just show to everyone that you admit it was a failure and completely tarnish your image once again. Nintendo is going about it the correct way and they have games now that can use multiple control schemes such as the game pad,wii remote + nunchuck,pro controller,etc etc. Which is really good that people can use more than one control scheme

They need to bring out quality software at a steady pace to keep consumer interest and not allow droughts like in 2013. They also have to keep up the aggressive advertising that they've been doing the last couple months to continue to raise consumer awareness. There's really so much they can do that me and you could list hundreds of things lol
    RaY_210 and drew79 like this.
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    Well damn, @Jerb. This is the most serious I've seen you here lol

$150 is ridiculous though. Hell, $200 is firesale-level.

I'm just gonna leave it at that because this could very well turn into another doom-hypothesis thread.

Anywho, they might be releasing separate Gamepads in the future. Thank Ceiling Cat that they haven't released them separately yet. Besides the facts that a) comsumer idiocy would have people buying them for the Wii and b) Nintendo's warranty for faulty/broken Gamepads is quite generous, no games support them.

I believe a non-Gamepad bundle is counter-productive to what Nintendo's trying to do with the brand new control scheme. Since the Gamepad runs the cost for the console up significantly, one could imagine trying to buy it separately. If the Gamepad was tossed out of the box and the Wii U itself was sold without any controllers, everyone and their granny who gets the system will buy a Pro controller or Wiimote+nunchuck simply because they're less expensive and are more comfortable. And also because they're more aesthetically pleasing than the Gamepad. So for what Nintendo's trying to accomplish, no it would not be a good idea. The price point would be absolutely ridiculous though.

Basically, what I'm saying is that not everything that's good for the consumer is good for the business.

Now, when the Wii U has a decent install base and after Ninty shows off the Gamepad's capabilities and MAYBE releases a higher-res, higher-efficiency one, then they'll let the consumer say which control scheme is preferred. In other words, maybe in 2016

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    I'm down for a good list! Everybody likes lists! I'll start:

1. Marketing
    2. Software
    3. Marketing
    4. Software
    5. Marketing
    6. Timely software
    7. Moar marketing
    8. Christmas 2014 software
    9. New years marketing
    10. Strong 2015 software

Your turn!
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Also on dat's post just now, it wouldnt be a good idea for a gamepad less bundle or even a gamepad less wii u. Nintendo's whole system is based off it and one of their main selling points is off screen play.

You dont have a gamepad for Wii U

1. Lose off screen play

2. Lose and completely render useless Nintendo's own unique idea that is Miiverse and the ability to share photos and drawings
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    1. Losing off screen play would be a huge deal breaker for me personally. I love it, probably my favorite feature of the system as crazy as it sounds. I understand this completely.

2. I have yet to really get into Miiverse so I can't really comment on this. I spend too much time playing instead of sending stuff when I'm on the Wii U. Plus, I only talk to you guys. Y'all are my Nintendo family.
    DatNOBoi likes this.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    It won't happen, the Wii U gamepad costs $120 to replace currently so I think the lowest the Wii U will ever get is 249.99
    GameNChick likes this.
    The Wii U Forums local Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney expert.
    Want to play Ace Attorney but you don't want to hunt down the original DS games?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhpkHBUOJCM

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gammalad

Gaming Blog:http://gaminggamma.com/

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    that's the lowest I could see it getting in a few years. $250 will be a price drop to combat PS4/XB1 when they price drop in a few years(ps4 wont in 2014, i feel XB1 will)
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    I think by 2016/2017 the XBO will be $399.99, PS4 $349.99 and Wii U 249.99
    Want to play Ace Attorney but you don't want to hunt down the original DS games?

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    I think Microsoft is going to be forced to drop the price of the Xbone within the first year, possibly within the first 6 months of 2014. Having played one in person I just wasn't that impressed. I wanted to be since I loved the original Xbox and 360 very much but it just seemed rushed. The PS4 on the other hand was as solid as a rock.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    I agree with this, however I can see Nintendo going down to $249.99 by mid-2015 if sales aren't where they want them to be. Not guaranteeing anything obviously, I just feel they will be competing with Microsoft for 2nd place and this will give them an edge. I really do feel that Nintendo can recapture some of that 'Wii' magic with proper marketing, solid software and a long-term view towards the system and their fans.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    NotSoFast!.PNG
    Remember in the US people eat up anything Micro$oft I can see the US market giving Micro$oft enough reason to keep the $499 price point.

Nintendo NID
    ChazA3
    I think manufacturing costs for both the console and gamepad could very well lower enough to allow Nintendo to sell Wii U at this price in 2015. It's only $50 less than the current price.
    This is also partially why I think having a Wii U without the Gamepad is a bad idea; if the money is spent per-SKU on that super low-latency peripheral, the manufacturing cost will go down over time (which is why I respect Nintendo for creating the Gamepad to begin with).
    SW-7328-5307-1995

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    Honestly I think you're right about that. I think they'll drop it to PS4's price at $399. Which it shouldve been that price to begin with,but yeah i agree that I think they'll be forced in 2014 to drop it in price
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Well, the few friends I've got that have actually purchased an Xbox One have been disappointed in it so far.

It's the same thing: The graphics are better but the OS is buggy and they hate using Kinect. I'm in the South (sort of) so the dialect might be a bigger problem than the system itself.

But for now, the hands on reviews are nothing but thumbs down with zero recommendations to purchase one. :thumbdown:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    True but trust me I am about to quote a person I know "Why would I want to play some jap sh*t from Nintendo or Sony? I am going to support American consoles from the American Microsoft, cuz you know MERICA!" (Ok so I added that last bit)

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    I thought the kinect worked fine,as well as voice commands

I don't find the interface hard to get around either.

I personally believe both PS4/XB1 were severely over hyped after spending time with them. Not saying they're bad systems, just they were indeed over hyped
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    Hype alone is what is selling them because the ironic thing is...the PS4 and XBO both have no games.
    drew79 and jrb363 like this.

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    That quote makes me sad as a human being. I am in no way saying I'm perfect, and I love America but to call something "jap s**t" is beyond me. Insulting a nation and culture for no reason...I don't understand it.

DatNOBoi likes this.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    I agree. The new Killzone is pretty but that series has always lacked any sort of substance outside the graphics imo. (Yes, I've played all of them except the newest on the PS4.)

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    It was in a facebook group dedicated to "Nxt Gen Gamin" but if you mentioned anything PlayStation or Nintendo you were labeled a butthurt fanboy

Banned
    Jesus1000 in a can of Crystal Light if only there were more Southerners-hell, Americans in general-that think like this!!!!!!

My respect? You earned it.

;_;7 Salute the @Jerb
    jrb363 likes this.

Banned
    About Killzone: Shadowfall...

My bro has a PS4 with that game and has not touched that damn game in 2 weeks lol. To put that in perspective, he beat the story a week before that and played some matches here and there.

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Thank you! I'm a simple Mississippi boy at heart, raised in a small town but taught by my parents to respect everybody.

We may not always agree, we may vote for different folks or attend different Churches (or not at all). But that doesn't give me the right to look down my nose at anyone.

DatNOBoi likes this.
    Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Man, that's disappointing but honestly about what I expected from a launch game. How's the online play? Is it at least halfway decent?

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

I traded it in before even finishing the single player campaign. Just got way too bored with the story. And honestly, I don't mind games that have basic tried and true mechanics like first person shooting, as long it has somewhat of an entertaining and compelling story to tell, but Killzone just didn't do it for me.

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    I think I would leave that group ASAP. I'm all for some Patriotism but not at the expense of putting others down.

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    Yeah I left the group after the stupidity made my brain bleed

Banned
    Stahp eet!!! My feels! They ACHE!!!

It ain't your average run-n-gun...but damn near close to it.

Basically, it took the CoD model, slowed it down a tad, and added some Battlefield 4 melee mechanics, along with its own weapons. To its credit, the armory is balanced, but the online's run-of-the-mill.

Pretty much this lol
    jrb363 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    I found shadowfall to be really bad D:

I enjoyed Ryse more than it strangely enough
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    Are there microtransactions in Ryse? I heard there were.

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    What is even the fun of Killzone?

Nintendo NID
    jrb363

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Banned
    Ask the same about CoD and you'll have your answer. I'm dead serious.

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    Soooooooooooo the answer is TF2? Back to TF2.

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    I believe there is but I never searched for them. I heard there was though
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Banned
    Lol nah but TF2 definitely craps on both. TF2 looks so much fun.

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    Team Fortress 2 is what everything COD wishes it could be.
    *Free Maps added every few months
    *Community made weapons
    *Community made maps
    *New game modes added at least once a year
    *HATZZZZZZZZ

Banned
    Wow...

TF2 shall go down as one of the greatest FPS games to ever exist, huh? AND it's F2P?!?!?!

Talk about value...

Nintendo NID
    jrb363
    Dude...they have HATZZZZZ???

Add me folks!
    Nintendo ID:
    jrb363

#ConsoleEquality

Xbox One:

Cloud Power!!!

Nintendo NID
    Nightsillusion
    TF2....I'd rather have TFC back ;(
    booga booga
    #ConsoleLivesMatter

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    Also forgot to mention, weapons are added during every major update, they have new game modes for their Halloween and Smissmiss (Christmas) events. Also very few weapons are true upgrades from the default weapons as most are side grades giving many new different kinds of ways to play with each class. I have put over 2000 hours into TF2

Banned
    I don't understand the difference...

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to the Team Fortress world...

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    You can still play TFC

Nintendo NID
    Gammalad
    Team Fortress started out as a mod of another Source game and then Valve took the idea and ran with it making Team Fortress 2

Banned
    O_O

...wow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast