• 1 Post By savinghyrule
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 1 Post By The Cloud Strife

Thread: Max Brand Confirmed (?) - 3DS is immortal

Straight outta Midgar The Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1

Max Brand Confirmed (?) - 3DS is immortal

While many of us awaited the 3DS finally being taken off of life support this holiday season, the system had one thing to say: Not So Fast.

The 3DS family of systems sold more hardware than it has since December of 2014. Basic math will tell you that it has been 3 years since the 3DS has sold this well. 750,000 disappointed people received a 3DS this holiday season when they had asked for a Switch. I mean, that's the only explanation, right?

Here are a few excerpts taken from the source of this disheartening news:

Source:

We reached out to hbeb for comment, but were declined. There is also a pretty significant rumor making it's rounds that a brand new cardboard New Nintendo New 3DS NEW XL will be revealed some time shortly.

In all seriousness, this could be a good thing and it could just be the fact that Nintendo's name is out there a lot more now. It's pretty surprising that with the lack of new titles coming out that it's still selling that well, but I'm perfectly okay with it because Nintendo has practically ignored it for the Switch.

www.mariomansion.com
    I just don't understand how this happened. Yes, there were some good sales, but were people also confused?

That being said, anyone that does not own a 3DS should, if you buy one nowadays you are getting a VERY good library to choose from. It's all just a bit older

Vetus-schola venatus Mr_Nick666's Avatar
    Nintendo, despite what 3DS sells, are splitting their market. Every one of those 3DS sales should have been a Switch sale.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    SW-5693-2145-0811
    The 3DS doesn't really need new releases if you are a brand new user.
    It has a huuuuuuge library.
    drew79 likes this.
    YouTube: Tommy Tendo
    Twitter:
    TommyTendo

NNID: MysteryT
    Switch:
    SW-5693-2145-0811

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    People are crazy. In this last Mini Direct, the only one time the 3DS was even mentioned was just to say one of its games is getting ported to the Switch. Nintendo is trying to ride this thing without investing anything at all into it. I'm not sure how long they'll be able to get away with that.

You could say that about any old console, though. Drew bought a Dreamcast, and it had a great library, too.
    drew79 likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Well obviously it'd sell well. It was cheap and had a lot of games (the more casual/family member would've picked one up in a heartbeat).

As for the 3DS lifespan that's left, there'll be one last Zelda game for the console this year, and that'll be it in terms of major first-party offerings from Nintendo. Then there'll be a Wario game in 2019 but that doesn't count. I'd only expect console discontinuation in 2022 (or later if they make an even cheaper 2DS (original) for $50), and we'd probably see minimal indie/third party support into 2020.

Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

This year the 3DS has neither unless there's some smaller Monster Hunter game coming to it this year. But Switch is getting Pokemon this year, Labo will be able to bring in a bunch of kids too. I'd be surprised if they 3DS lasted into 2020
    DeliciousMalk and FlamingFury like this.
    My reaction when I log on to the site:

Kill it with fire.
    Mr_Nick666 likes this.
    Proud winner of the unofficial 2016 "most likely to bring the bantz" award.

Quote Originally Posted by aMarioFan64 View Post
    No, Bantz is life.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    Considering they're still making money off the 3DS line without sinking any resources into it, they're probably not concerned with "splitting their market".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't think Nintendo see further than the end of their noses... How about planning for tomorrow?
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    You're right, their shallow planning is why they haven't been a company for 100+ years

Their lack of forsightedness is why things like the Virtual Boy and the Wii U happened. Don't confuse luck with ability. They're not going to get away with it forever.
    drew79 likes this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    And their resolve is why they're still around despite mistakes like those two. If luck is the reason they're still here after all this time, I want THAT luck when I play Powerball.

www.mariomansion.com
    2 failures in a long line of successes and you're referring to it as luck? what do you mean?
    SuperLuigi likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    Don’t forget DS and VC games.
    DeliciousMalk likes this.

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    I think Nintendo definitely knows what they're doing. I wouldn't say it's all luck. I mean, who would have predicted this Labo thing that was introduced in a (what? 2 minute event?) would already be catching on in the way it has?

You could say the Wii involved some luck, and I'd certainly agree with that. I think Nintendo expected it to be a success, but no one (not even them) could have imagined what an incredible success it'd turn out to be. The Wii U was created by the arrogance that the Wii gave Nintendo. Still, I think you could also say Nintendo was unlucky with the GameCube because I believe that system was an amazing console with some cool features (game boy integration) and one that was on par with the other consoles. Yet, it didn't sell.

With the Switch, it was the best move Nintendo could have made. They combined a market they had control over with one they at times struggled in. I think one thing that gets overlooked with the Switch is consumer advertising. You can't take a home console out in the public and advertise it to the world, at least not very feasibly. You can with the Switch.

I was at a Golden Corral this Thanksgiving waiting in a ridiculously long line, and there was a guy playing Odyssey and telling everyone that they needed to buy a Switch for Christmas. He was even offering people a chance to try it out. That alone can get the word out just as well as professional advertising does, and I think it's one reason the Switch will continue to sell ridiculously well.
    Mr_Nick666, drew79 and FlamingFury like this.

Nintendo NID
    savinghyrule
    I'm so sorry

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    Yeah... It was actually really bad. They used to have pretty good food, but they've really went downhill while their prices have went up.

Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Golden Corral is hit or miss. There are some locations that I would be afraid to eat in, but others that are actually decent. I went to a good one on a prime rib night, and it was excellent.
    The Cloud Strife likes this.
    Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity

Nintendo NID
    TheCloudStrife1
    That's true, location definitely matters as does who is working that night. On Thanksgiving, though, it was just really awful. I did eat at a Chinese buffet in Colorado I really liked though, I think it was called Ultimate Buffet. They even cook steak like at Golden Corral, and for a buffet the steak was very good. I wonder if Sean has ever been there.
    drew79 likes this.

Banned
    Nintendo NID
    LIZARD13
    I agree with your conclusion, but not your motives.

I'm on the same page there.